Chalky surface of printed models

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Some good posts in this thread, Kent. Informative and helpful.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
If you're using the same settings on the order form to send to both places, then yes...you're going to have

different fits. Argen prints their models while iTero's are milled out. Can't compare the two since they're made

on two completely different machines. Comparing apples and grapes here.

At this point, it's not about the settings for me, just the accuracy of the models. I am going strictly by the contacts on a glazed crown which have been seated on one model. Then I am checking it on the other model. I agree that it would be much more consistent to have the parameters set for these things, but I just haven't had time to do that. By the way, how do you know if your margins on the FCZ crowns are not bulky without seeing it on the die?

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Ok so one of you came close but didn't get into detail.
These printed models print clear. Then there is a sophisticated and magical process used to tint them.
The secret ingredient is WOOD STAIN.
SO what happens is the wood stains cake on, and can't be fully rinsed off. Every little undercut and dimple becomes filled with wood stain.
Take a look inside a hollow die. It's not even hollow anymore, its filled to the brim with stain.
The models are more useful clear.

Before we bought the Eden260VS we sampled a few models from different printers. And this was what we received from a printer sold by CAD BLUE... Don't remember what printer though.
We too were not happy, and didn't go down that road.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
By the way, how do you know if your margins on the FCZ crowns are not bulky without
Print just the die if you need something to check margins or finish.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
At this point, it's not about the settings for me, just the accuracy of the models. I am going strictly by the contacts on a glazed crown which have been seated on one model. Then I am checking it on the other model. I agree that it would be much more consistent to have the parameters set for these things, but I just haven't had time to do that. By the way, how do you know if your margins on the FCZ crowns are not bulky without seeing it on the die?

What I'm saying is that you must design the models with the prospective library to the manufacturer. If you designed the models

with the same material file, then yes, there will be a difference in model fit. You must use the settings set by each manufacturer

to ensure an accurate model. If you just use an arbitrary setting for models, you're doing yourself an injustice. Use each manufacturer's

settings for models then make your decision on fit. If you did design the models with their prospective material settings, then yes, you do

have something to worry about because the accuracy is off....but which one? That's when you make a crown on each model and send it to

the Dr. to see which one fits better right? Just ideas running through my head.

Margins are always bulky due to having to be that thick to mill our properly without

chipping, but can be handled easily with a good rubber wheel. I don't need a die to thin them

out.

Last edited:
KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Ok so one of you came close but didn't get into detail.
These printed models print clear. Then there is a sophisticated and magical process used to tint them.
The secret ingredient is WOOD STAIN.
SO what happens is the wood stains cake on, and can't be fully rinsed off. Every little undercut and dimple becomes filled with wood stain.
Take a look inside a hollow die. It's not even hollow anymore, its filled to the brim with stain.
The models are more useful clear.

Before we bought the Eden260VS we sampled a few models from different printers. And this was what we received from a printer sold by CAD BLUE... Don't remember what printer though.
We too were not happy, and didn't go down that road.

I can tell you it came off the 3D Systems 3510 MP from the material.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
What I'm saying is that you must design the models with the prospective library to the manufacturer. If you designed the models

with the same material file, then yes, there will be a difference in model fit. You must use the settings set by each manufacturer

to ensure an accurate model. If you just use an arbitrary setting for models, you're doing yourself an injustice. Use each manufacturer's

settings for models then make your decision on fit. If you did design the models with their prospective material settings, then yes, you do

have something to worry about because the accuracy is off....but which one? That's when you make a crown on each model and send it to

the Dr. to see which one fits better right? Just ideas running through my head.

Margins are always bulky due to having to be that thick to mill our properly without

chipping, but can be handled easily with a good rubber wheel. I don't need a die to thin them

out.

All I do is use the same STL file that is scanned with the Itero to make the model using Argen. Everything is done using this file including Argens' printed model. I don't have the abililty to change the STL file parameters. They should be the same. I don't alter anything.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
You are eliminating the variables of the printer. Done thousands of single crowns without models.

Okay...I have just finished fine-tuning my contact and occlusion settings. I'm moving toward the modeless work flow, but I've still got one hand on my "blanky". :D

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
All I do is use the same STL file that is scanned with the Itero to make the model using Argen. Everything is done using this file including Argens' printed model. I don't have the abililty to change the STL file parameters. They should be the same. I don't alter anything.

Got you...just making sure that the correct parameters are being used in comparison, that's all.:D

Top Bottom