LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
About to test some UTML....

anyone layer incisal on UTML?
CZR or ceram?

I cant find any do's/ don'ts on it
appreciate the input

Isn't that the whole idea behind the multi layer? Full contour,..no stacking required? Otherwise,..why would you? Maybe this is the reason for this lack of info Hmmmm2 Dunno

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Unless you wanted to do some Inc internal effects other that using surface stain?

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
Unless you wanted to do some Inc internal effects other that using surface stain?
that's what i'm after.. also the option of higher trans incisal that you simply can't replicate with out layering.. i'm more interested in minimal cut-back, and somewhat of an e.max replacement in some situations.
milling would increase our workflow as we are currently pressing and layering

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I was thinking about that, too. Minimal to micro layer for maybe a lower value, higher value Inc., or as you mentioned, a more translucent overlay, with the underlying ZI Inc as a canvas.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
When Hero, the R&D guy at Katana gave us a visit, he said you can't layer the UT, the CTE is not correct. But you may layer the ST.
I am almost sure he told me this but may be mistaken.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Good point to consider and check into..didn't think about its CTE .

Andrew Priddy

Andrew Priddy

Donator
Reaction score
eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
we've used both creation and e.max ceram on the UTML, it's been fine.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
You may be right at the limit in using those ceramics? I guess if you only do micro layering for effect, can maybe get by with it? Most of our ZI layering porc. are meant to be around 1 cte off from the framework cte. Standard zirconia frameworks range in the ~10.2-10.5+ range and the layering porcelain from about 9.5 (emax ceram) as well as Creation ZI-F at 9.5 and CZR at 9.1.

Sorry, not trying to preach to the choir, as many of us already know these numbers, I'm just trying to give a little visual aide and information as to if we want to go for it or not. I'm just thinking at those close tolerances, could their be cracking later on in the mouth? And from what we've learned about layering ZI from trial and error by now doing proper washes, correct frame design (support of the ceramic) slow heating and cooling, would we now be pushing the envelope by layering on a ~9.7 cte framework?

Here are the cte's for Katana UTML and their other zirconia. If Travis or the Mods here need to take down the PDF image due to copy right violations, no problem, as I'll hand type the numbers, also:

CTE Katana ST/STML 9.8 (+/- 0.2)x10-6/k
CTE Katana UT/UTML 9.7 (+/- 0.2)x10-6/k
(25-500c / 77-932f)

cte%20of%20Katana_zpslbffydqb.png

edit:sp

Last edited:
L

labtek

Reaction score
Talk about the katana multi layer material.
what kind of intraoral reviews and pictures do you have of this material.
how many have broke in the lab while grinding on them. How many have broken during seating or after being cemented?

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
Talk about the katana multi layer material.
what kind of intraoral reviews and pictures do you have of this material.
how many have broke in the lab while grinding on them. How many have broken during seating or after being cemented?

We've been milling the katana for a few months now so I can't give you any long term feedback, but we haven't had any issues so far with breakage and they certainly haven't broken in the lab. I have some picture I can post on Monday and i will try to get some intra oral ones as well. We have been milling it for a couple other labs too and if you like to send a file I can do one for you no charge

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
We've been milling the katana for a few months now so I can't give you any long term feedback, but we haven't had any issues so far with breakage and they certainly haven't broken in the lab. I have some picture I can post on Monday and i will try to get some intra oral ones as well. We have been milling it for a couple other labs too and if you like to send a file I can do one for you no charge
Do have some pictures and time to post them?