Tooth Pop Off Guidelines

D

dborla01

Reaction score
To add to this conversation, we take care of these mysterious pop-out issues for a year w/o charge. I started using Palabond, as per suggestion of Tom Zeleske, and have had no issues with this matter. It has to be used sparingly though, otherwise it will attack the separator, and post-processing finish' will take more time. I bought a high quality, stiff artist' brush and manage to keep the monomer localized to the diatorically prepared surface, prior to process. Also, it is imperative to pack acrylic before late-stage.
One other thought, as Paul has brought up...it is the Dr's responsibility to warn the Pt. of issues of deep overbite, etc that can compromise the integrity of the upper denture base and teeth. Otherwise, inter oral stressors will eventually destroy our hard work. Darrell. PS....I use a three step biol-out process, too.

highscore

highscore

Reaction score
If a tooth is popping off a denture, and coming off with a clean break from the acrylic then it's possible that the acrylic may have been on the dry side when packed. That being said, dentures normally don't break themselves. If the acrylic is still bonded to the tooth, and there's still a portion of the denture in the acrylic then that would suggest a drop, or chewing on a tire iron.
If you Repair it for free, it will pay off in the long run hopefully in referrals from said dentist. Make sure you still send an invoice with "warranty" written on it. If you just repair it for nothing then it could be read as a "screw up" on your part.
If the patient broke it though, or if it is longer than six months I might probably rethink. It's a business call.

All Hail the supreme donut with sprinkles.

nbc-fires-donald-trump-after-he-calls-mexicans-rapists-and-drug-runners.jpg

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
Ran into a rash of this before, cases werent being processed properly. Leaving wax on teeth, not creating proper bond between acrylic and plastic tooth. Give the other teeth a good hard push make sure they have proper bond..

But most likely patient dropped and it broke off, in my opinion. Its a small fee, id bill them.

So what about if the tooth comes out, you repair it for free and then it pops out 2 weeks after the repair? Again I'm not a technician but this is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts. Regardless of why it popped off the first time, shouldn't have it's been repaired, not come out again?

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
Look at tooth, if it came out clean put it back in 10 minutes of work tops. If it didn't come out clean and have to replace the tooth charge.

If you repair the tooth that came out, do you ever have it come back to you to repair? I just had it and want to troubleshoot it and determine if this is technician error. I understand it could come out due to processing errors for the first time but why would it fail after repair?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
If you repair the tooth that came out, do you ever have it come back to you to repair? I just had it and want to troubleshoot it and determine if this is technician error. I understand it could come out due to processing errors for the first time but why would it fail after repair?
It is normally a function or design error if it is reoccurring. Sometimes you need to sacrifice function for aesthetics. Remember this is a piece of plastic.

M

Makes Dentures

Reaction score
So what about if the tooth comes out, you repair it for free and then it pops out 2 weeks after the repair? Again I'm not a technician but this is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts. Regardless of why it popped off the first time, shouldn't have it's been repaired, not come out again?
IF-- big if... Everything is flying in formation (all the incisors touch evenly in a lateral or protrusive excursions) the force will be evenly distributed on all 12 teeth...and the teeth will all stay in for years....BUT... if a single tooth is carrying all the forces-- it WILL eventually come out. 100% agree aesthetics take a front seat to function. Sometimes a single denture tooth will take one for the team by no inferior fabrication of the lab.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
100% agree aesthetics take a front seat to function. Sometimes a single denture tooth will take one for the team by no inferior fabrication of the lab.
Possibly you meant aesthetics always takes a backseat to function?

M

Makes Dentures

Reaction score
Possibly you meant aesthetics always takes a backseat to function?
NOPE. I meant what I said.... If a patient likes the way they look-- they will learn how to use the dentures... FACT. That being said-- excursive movements MUST be smooth, uniform (spreading the load across 3 incisors as much as possible) and not compromised by posterior interferences. No snaggletooths.

M

Makes Dentures

Reaction score
I am agreeing with your earlier comment 100%.

It is normally a function or design error if it is reoccurring. Sometimes you need to sacrifice function for aesthetics. Remember this is a piece of plastic.

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
If I could weigh in at this point- first time N/C, it's on me, second time it's on them. At the time of first repair I make that clear to Dr., they may not like it,but at least they know where you stand. "I'm not going to be responsible for this for ever. I also suggest they check out occlusal function/ excursion etc. it is human nature to push materials to and beyond their limits. And sometimes Drs. Have to be reminded of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Years ago I was working with British dentists in a hospital overseas providing free dental care to employees of a gas company and made a set of denture for a patient who came back with no denture after the denture have been made three months earlier and demanding new set of denture.

He was saying he works on a rigg far off shore and "sneezed" and his denture flew in to the sea.
Now do dentures have to be sneezed proof?. That would be a good commercial I think.

Last edited: