Cone Beam Question

S

SamanthaADS

Reaction score
Hey guys - one of my pros docs called me asking about the quality of different cone beam technology from the lab's point of view. I don't have enough experience with the different scans to be of much help, but there's a wealth of experience on this forum so I'm turning to you guys.

He's looking at purchasing a cone beam scanner - and is torn between the PlanMeca ($70K-ish) and the iCat ($$$$$$$!). Obviously the scan will be better with the iCat - he knows that - but will investing the extra $ in the iCat make a difference to us (the lab) when designing and printing the surgical guides?

What have you guys seen?

Thanks!
Samantha

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
paging 2th........

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Hey guys - one of my pros docs called me asking about the quality of different cone beam technology from the lab's point of view. I don't have enough experience with the different scans to be of much help, but there's a wealth of experience on this forum so I'm turning to you guys.

He's looking at purchasing a cone beam scanner - and is torn between the PlanMeca ($70K-ish) and the iCat ($$$$$$$!). Obviously the scan will be better with the iCat - he knows that - but will investing the extra $ in the iCat make a difference to us (the lab) when designing and printing the surgical guides?

What have you guys seen?

Thanks!
Samantha
I vote for the iCat, way cooler name.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
They are all pretty similar regardless of what the salesmen say.
The amount of metal or other radio opaque material in the patients mouth contribute to poor scan quality due to scatter as does patient movement during the scan process.
We use Planmeca ProMax scans daily, but I have used and compared to Gendex, Vatech, Kodak/Carstream/ iCat and a few others. They are all pretty similar.
The planning software's matching algorithms to import stl files of the gingiva and teeth are more important IMO as well as the openness, ease of use for the planning tools,
and manipulation of the CT scan data during planning.
Romexis has the best ability regarding this out of all of the planning software I have experience with. About 5 different well known softwares.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Mmmm... It's tricky one .. I have see good and bad scans from everything on the market.
So as 2th says scatter is not a friend .