router questions

user name

user name

Reaction score
My computers are very slow swapping files. I thought they got plugged together with a gigaport switch. Turns out I need a router. Any specifics I need to know? is it plug n play or more to it?

rgkbmk

rgkbmk

Reaction score
if you have a router, are you wireless. All my computers and scanner are hooked up through a port with cables and connected to the router

user name

user name

Reaction score
Ive got the cable coming in that goes to a ubee 3.0 modem. off that, one line goes to my phones, the other i plugged into a Netgear Gigaport switch with cables running to each computer. So I need to hook a router up instead of the switch as I understand it...? All the computer cables (3) then hook to the router, or is the switch still involved?

FYI..I havent read Travis' link yet. That may answer all.

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
You will still need to use the modem, esp if you have the phone line through it. The modem will connect to the router, all the pcs into the router. That link will help get a descent router if you nothing about them.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
IMO, what was suggested to you in post# 6 may be all you need and are looking for. I have pretty much the same thing (Netgear N300 WNR 2000v5) connecting my 3 tower pcs via Ethernet cables. How fast it would transfer a puck full of information, cant say, but when I have a 6-9 unit bridge that I've finished designing, it's there in my manufacturing folder of my mill ready to go by the time I turn around and access that pc.

The dual band stuff would be more for if your running a lot of wi-fi devices, for Ethernet connections and sharing, I'm betting it will work just fine for you.

As Travis mentioned, you would still need to connect from your ISP source to your modem then to the router. In my case with my local service provider, I don't need a modem, it connects right into my router...very nice, one less chain in the link to troubleshoot should a occasional glitch or drop out occur. So far this router has been very stable.

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
IMO, what was suggested to you in post# 6 may be all you need and are looking for. I have pretty much the same thing (Netgear N300 WNR 2000v5) connecting my 3 tower pcs via Ethernet cables. How fast it would transfer a puck full of information, cant say, but when I have a 6-9 unit bridge that I've finished designing, it's there in my manufacturing folder of my mill ready to go by the time I turn around and access that pc.

The dual band stuff would be more for if your running a lot of wi-fi devices, for Ethernet connections and sharing, I'm betting it will work just fine for you.

As Travis mentioned, you would still need to connect from your ISP source to your modem then to the router. In my case with my local service provider, I don't need a modem, it connects right into my router...very nice, one less chain in the link to troubleshoot should a occasional glitch or drop out occur. So far this router has been very stable.
What does the modem do, if you dont need one?

user name

user name

Reaction score
And...when all the files are done milling...where do all the bits and bytes go? is there a tray in the bottom of the computer to collect them? how often should it be emptied?

Just kidding...but coming from me youd almost expect it, right?

rgkbmk

rgkbmk

Reaction score
A couple of things I did here that made a differance. I found out my modem was outdated and the internet company upgrade mine to the newest. Also my router went bad to. Do a research on routers as they are not all the same. All router companies make basic to higher quality routers. so you dont want to go buy a router with out knowing which one you want.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
What does the modem do, if you dont need one?

I can't remember exactly what they said when I asked them, but it has something to do with how the companies send out their signal and the need of the modem to interpret it...it's rocket science to me o_Oo_O

Agree with rgkbmk, make sure you're using the latest and greatest modem from for your ISP, as when I was with Charter I needed to upgrade their newer D**? version to handle their improved single. As far as the router, since you're going to be hard wired in, I don't see it making to much of a difference.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
And...when all the files are done milling...where do all the bits and bytes go? is there a tray in the bottom of the computer to collect them? how often should it be emptied?

Just kidding...but coming from me youd almost expect it, right?

I personally put them in a little film canister to smoke later....gives you quite the byte rush :D

user name

user name

Reaction score
Nothing ever goes as planned...so when I plug this router in, does it recognize stuff and just do what its supposed to or will I need to do something?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
If you are only going to use this router with the Ethernet cables only, then it should be plug and play, your modem cable running to the router and your PCs from that.

If you ever wanted to enable wireless for a notebook etc, the the Netgear router should come with a disc for set up, or by logging onto the Netgear set up web page.

edit:..as I said, it should be..famous last words :D Pcguru

Last edited:
rgkbmk

rgkbmk

Reaction score
This is my interpretation of things. Modem allows the companies signal to be interpreted so you can see and use the internet. The modem is plugged into the router and the router cables go to your systems. Now make sure everything is off when you hook it all up. You will then first turn on your modem, then your router, then one computer at a time. this syncs everyrthing. Then you are going to want to put the Router configuration on a computer with the disk ( pasword protected so know one uses your internet) lastley you are going to name your computers so when the nework is up, you will be able to see everything. this is how I did it. I also had the tech guys at Whipmix set up my computers and scanner on the net so they would reconise everything.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
We all have modems, even if you have fiber optic connections, you just may not know where it is. They MODulate and DEMulate the data onto the carrier whether the carrier is light, sound, or whatever.

A switch, hub, or router is almost the same thing. all devices plugged into a hub must wait their turn to talk - Partyline, Switches have smarts in the box to move the data directly from the "speaking" machine to the "listening" machine. Routers combine 2 or more ways things talk to each other, ususally for most of us WiFi and Ethernet.

Aside from WiFi, it is normal for all of it to work without configuration. WiFi has to have you do it's password/security thing to keep everyone else out of your schtufff. And it's all insecure, some just more than others, Turn off your WiFi if you don't need it (Yeah, right!)

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
We all have modems, even if you have fiber optic connections, you just may not know where it is. They MODulate and DEMulate the data onto the carrier whether the carrier is light, sound, or whatever.

Maybe what ever this company has modem wise, is in a "hub" room in this building I rent space from? as the other tenants here use the same company. I only plug my ethernet into the wall jack, and straight to a PC, or in my case, a router.