heathergrey

Reaction score
77a9c94792af1c1b51aa6ad6b14d3a9f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
Many sources here is a few

What should I do with my old dentures after I have received my new dentures?

After your new dentures feel great and no more sore spots, you should put your old dentures in a small baggy filled with water and zip lock them. You then put them in your freezer and save them for emergencies only. For saving your old dentures for a long period of time, this is the best way to save them. If you put them in a drawer they will dry out and if you leave them in water for a long period of time, algae forms.

http://www.rentondentureclinic.com/faq.htm

If your old dentures are in good repair, they can be kept as a spare set in case of emergency. To keep your dentures in good shape, clean them thoroughly, dry them completely and place them in a zip lock bag in your freezer

http://klarsonpinw.com/what-to-expect-from-your-new-dentures/

What is the best way to clean my denture?

Answer: There are a couple of methods used to clean dentures. The use of a hard bristled denture brush and denture cream is an excellent way to clean dentures. Also soaking the denture in solutions like Efferdent at night helps with stain and odor. To reduce the build up of tarter on the denture soak in vinegar overnight about once per month. The vinegar is an acid and it can dissolve the mineral deposits found in tarter.

Long term storage of old dentures is best done by placing them in the freezer inside of a zip lock freezer bag. First soak them in a solution of 1 part bleach to 9 parts water for about 30 minutes or so. Then rinse them off really well and dry. Next, place them in a zip lock freezer bag but be sure to not add water to the denture or this will potentially fracture them.

http://www.thegentledentist.com/implants-to-hold-in-a-lower-denture/

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
I wouldn't be concerned. I learned it from a well known DDS that uses Hydrocast in this fashion.
Dr T has been saying this for years.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
People need backup dentures, I know a lady with 4 sets. I would say use a diluted bleach solution bleach overnight, then thoroughly clean, and store in water. There will always be bacteria.
Microwave in a dish of water. It'll sterilize inside and out.
That is a recommended protocol for dealing with candidiasis.
After that, heat seal bag with distilled water.

M

Makes Dentures

Reaction score
I can speak from experience here... I used to leave an account's cases outside overnight for them to get first thing in the morning. I had left a chrome partial (new case) out in about zero deg. temps. When they opened it had stress fracture like cracks throughout the acrylic saddles... REMAKE. Lesson learned and now shared.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I can speak from experience here... I used to leave an account's cases outside overnight for them to get first thing in the morning. I had left a chrome partial (new case) out in about zero deg. temps. When they opened it had stress fracture like cracks throughout the acrylic saddles... REMAKE. Lesson learned and now shared.
That would be metal contraction causing the crack, they are talking about complete acrylic.

PearlZ

PearlZ

Reaction score
soon we can forget about situations like this. pt will be able to 3dprint a full set in an hour at home and dispose of them at the end of the day.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
soon we can forget about situations like this. pt will be able to 3dprint a full set in an hour at home and dispose of them at the end of the day.
"Soon"?

PearlZ

PearlZ

Reaction score
the technology is here, its just implementation and environmental concerns. 3dsystems is trying to promote recycled abs plastic filament printing but has still made it hipster by having it promoted by Coke and Will.I.Am without informing the user how they will be forced into buying spools directly from the manufacturer and giving no indications of recyclability of the finished product (only that the filament is made from partly recycled plastic)

i only attach the label "soon" to denote that while it is currently quite possible to do, it would not be in anyone's interest to do it. nor would it be something most people would think about doing. once the demand is created there will be a niche to fill.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
FDM prints are not watertight with the current technology...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Microwave in a dish of water. It'll sterilize inside and out.
That is a recommended protocol for dealing with candidiasis.
After that, heat seal bag with distilled water.
What wattage is your oven and how long is long enough? Is there a minimum temp/time component? Fullly boiling for 10 minutes maybe? I need to get into this newfangled microwave wave.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
FDM prints are not watertight with the current technology...
Really? I had played with some of RepRap Mendel outputs and found them to be. Maybe I didn't leave them in water long enough.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Really? I had played with some of RepRap Mendel outputs and found them to be. Maybe I didn't leave them in water long enough.

Might look watertight under little or no pressure, played with a printed garden hose nozzle a while back and it did sweat about the same amount of what it sprayed... Not that it would compromise strength though, but all those voids between the layers (noodles) would be a perfect breading ground for bacteria in an oral environment... I've read that there are experiments with an epoxy sealant infusion...dunno when is going to be commercially available...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Might look watertight under little or no pressure, played with a printed garden hose nozzle a while back and it did sweat about the same amount of what it sprayed... Not that it would compromise strength though, but all those voids between the layers (noodles) would be a perfect breading ground for bacteria in an oral environment... I've read that there are experiments with an epoxy sealant infusion...dunno when is going to be commercially available...
Hmm. Wonder what the acetone wipe down trick (a la Ben Heck) would do for that. Smoothes out the bumps before sanding for parts that need to slide against each other.

Edit: Wow I can't spell

Last edited:
kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
What wattage is your oven and how long is long enough? Is there a minimum temp/time component? Fullly boiling for 10 minutes maybe? I need to get into this newfangled microwave wave.
There are some studies. I think I have them on my laptop. I'll dig them out.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
There are some studies. I think I have them on my laptop. I'll dig them out.
WoooooooooHooooooo!! YeeeHaw! I love facts. Thank You very very much. I'll take any information you're willing to give. I want to be able to understand *why*, so I can be better at this. Replication of results is where I am. I want to be at replication of knowledge. (And I'm too poor to buy anything good to read on any facet of this right now.)

ps-thanks again for your suggestions on journals. They're on my wish list.

Top Bottom