cast gold post?

CRWNMKR

CRWNMKR

Reaction score
I have a strange request to cast gold to a stainless steel post pattern. anyone know if this works okay?, I am sure it is just mechanical retention at best Thank you

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
OH sure,they're fine in Vermont because horsefly toe looks worse!

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
We have to wear black sox with sandals here, white sox get stained with cow poop too quickly.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
No one likes skid marks on their socks,even Floridations.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Its 95 out in FL 110% humidity, and I wear a jacket. You have to dress for inside weather in Florida.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I have a strange request to cast gold to a stainless steel post pattern. anyone know if this works okay?, I am sure it is just mechanical retention at best Thank you

Done it before. It'll work just fine, biggest issue you may have is in letting the existing metal heatsoak enough that you're cast metal flows around it without getting cooled too quickly. Basically just think of it as a UCLA abutment and watch that your sprue(s) will feed & bypass any thin areas. Possibly a vent of 18ga or whatever small wirewax as well if you feel extra touchy about it.

M

Malcolm Graham

Reaction score
Casting to stainless is a bad idea. The stainless will not retain it's physical properties and probably break in the mouth. We used to cast onto Wiptam wire which I believe is a CC wire with CC.
I would bend the wire so the bend was in the core of the post and core wax up. Then cover the end with wax that was protruding through the wax up, this way you don't get a visible ring on the face of the core.
There is really no need to use gold for a post and core unless there is a visible labial diaphragm.