Led vs Flouro

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Hi all.
Am considering adding led lighting to new room instead of fluoro. This room will be used for ceramics and shade matching so general brightness and color temp is my biggest concern with led. Any pros and cons would be appreciated.
We are using daylight fluoro lamps on benches.

Thanks all. Jeff

Last edited:
J

Jorge

Reaction score
Your biggest concern should be CRI (color rendering index) before lumens and Kelvin.
Whatever light source you use it must have the maximun CRI you can afford.
I use fluo named 950, the "9" is because CRI>90%, the "50" is because color temperatue is 5000 Kelvin degrees
If CRI is not specified (leds or fluos) avoid those lights.
You can find more info searching for "metamerism"

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Thanks Jorge, I am currently using 5000k fluos at moment but was looking at LED as an alternative to fluos in the new ceiling.
Such things as setup costs, running costs and overall effectiveness for lab Lightning compared to fluos.
Have been using fluo forever but now wondering if LEDS can offer a genuine alternative for general Lab lighting.

Cheers Jeff

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I have been changing over to LED. For task it's not so good but for overhead you will go from 400w to 30w for the same lumens, CRIN95 common and no uv to throw the eye off.
You might look into LED panels with a COB LED. It is 2200 here this is a led test area. The little round LED panels spring into the ceiling and are 15w, the large one is 2 21w surface mounted behind an old flurscent cover.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dimmable-9W...Domain_0&var=600327242306&hash=item462776e02e

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Hi Ajel. Thanks for the info. I will probably go for fluos now but will look at changing to LED desk lamps in the future.

Jeff

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
My thinking on LED desk lamps is fuzzy. May I explain, LED is dependent of a hi reflective surface to focus the light in one direction. This reflective surface is often open to the air If at the work station there is dust like plaster or ceramic, it seems to be attracted to the surface causing a dust that is difficult to remove and a light that is not directed where you want for lack of a reflective mylar or aluminum reflector.
The led panels are sealed units with heat sinks to disperse heat instead of open to atnosphere reflectors, the panels also use diverters to reduce the sparkle LED can display.

Top Bottom