Opening a Reline and Repair Only lab, yep I'm nuts

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody

Been gone for a bit, things have been rather interesting. My boss is now closing down the (nearly full service) lab where I have been for the last 8 years, and moving.

My options look like going for it for myself is the best way to go ahead. I've owned businesses before, just none of them were able to stay open... Electronics repair and Locksmithing just don't have the need they once did with people being willing to buy new cheap junk instead of having things fixed.

My (soon to be ex-)boss is giving me advice, and I've ran his shop for a day or two at a time as well.

Reline and repair are the holes in this area, nobody, and I mean nobody but our lab did them within 50 miles. So I've got a minimalist equipment setup that will grow itself as the work grows and I am going for it. Exit strategy is already done, learned that from the first 2 times(ouch).

What I'm hoping is that those of you who are one the ownership end could tell me anything they wish they had known before they flipped the switch as it has been around 15 years since I tried ownership.

I'll take sarcasm too, heh, there's gold in them thar' quips sometimes.

On collections I've already decided that anyone over 30days is COD, and that is listed on the invoice, and script. The script also says they will indemnify and defend me on any issues arise from work delivered as prescribed.

I can do dentures and partials, and Crown and bridge, and scan/design. It's just not missing in this market and reline repair IS missing. Filling the void sounds much better than fighting for work.

Thank you everyone for teaching me so much on here. I owe you all for letting the world look over your collective shoulders.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the denture business, but creating a business to fill a niche makes perfect sense to me. As long as you can make a living at it. Is no one doing repairs and relines because its basically a service and you can't make money at it? The credit card route, as suggested by kcdt, is a wise idea.

C

Craig T

Reaction score
Way back when, I started the same way...supplying the service end of relines and repairs. This led to the rest of the removables work from the accounts. It is also the most profitable. As with anything, do it very well and your work will be noticed. Have exact acrylic shade matches and tooth shade matches (vita and bioform). Expand into stayplates and nightguards.

Know the exact cost of each product. Don't guess with pricing. I like the credit card route too.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Consider demanding a signed cc agreement.

Something like "any unpaid balance over 30 days will be charged to your credit card. Sign here to authorize."?

The lab that is closing/I'm leaving has been accepting checks only the whole 20 years it was open. Never dealt with credit cards before except when working at larger places and that was a finished system and opaque to me. Who do you use? How long does it take to get paid?
I don't want to give $5 of my work to visa/mc every time.

Any recommendations for provider?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Way back when, I started the same way...supplying the service end of relines and repairs. This led to the rest of the removables work from the accounts. It is also the most profitable. As with anything, do it very well and your work will be noticed. Have exact acrylic shade matches and tooth shade matches (vita and bioform). Expand into stayplates and nightguards.

Know the exact cost of each product. Don't guess with pricing. I like the credit card route too.

How do you figure cost? I know it's rather basic, time + materials, but what else do you add in to that, if anything?

Flippers will be added really soon, just need to get enough money from working it to get a decent tooth selection started still.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the denture business, but creating a business to fill a niche makes perfect sense to me. As long as you can make a living at it. Is no one doing repairs and relines because its basically a service and you can't make money at it? The credit card route, as suggested by kcdt, is a wise idea.

Money can be made, if you get enough of them, just like the rest of the lab products. And we have an aging population.

If I'm wrong, well Hamburger University is looking for applicants.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Something like "any unpaid balance over 30 days will be charged to your credit card. Sign here to authorize."?

The lab that is closing/I'm leaving has been accepting checks only the whole 20 years it was open. Never dealt with credit cards before except when working at larger places and that was a finished system and opaque to me. Who do you use? How long does it take to get paid?
I don't want to give $5 of my work to visa/mc every time.

Any recommendations for provider?
Pretty much.
I used an online portal. Consolidated invoices and ran each account at a set date of the month.
You keep down the transaction fee by running a dr's combined invoices once as opposed to each time.
I paid a monthly fee around $20 for access.
My transaction fee was <3%.
I still had accounts that wanted to pay by check, and that was fine, but I still have the agreement, up to date and on file, because it's about protecting your lab's financials.
I'm not sure who is good today, I found mine years ago through NADL and never changed.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Pretty much.
I used an online portal. Consolidated invoices and ran each account at a set date of the month.
You keep down the transaction fee by running a dr's combined invoices once as opposed to each time.
I paid a monthly fee around $20 for access.
My transaction fee was <3%.
I still had accounts that wanted to pay by check, and that was fine, but I still have the agreement, up to date and on file, because it's about protecting your lab's financials.
I'm not sure who is good today, I found mine years ago through NADL and never changed.

Ahhh, I was thinking of each invoice, and needing some kind of swipe and printer machine. Thanks!

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I started my lab doing speciality work for other labs (ceka,hader,sterns latch),but repairs & flippers were the bones. When I started there were so many denture labs the only way into accounts was the repair door. Its over 35 years and the economy has cut the speciality stuff (now overdentures & milled bars) and the relines, flippers, nightguards, flexibles seem to be keeping me afloat. good luck. Your cost is materials, utilities, rent value, equipment use, big one is transportation. If you don't have to don't do same day relines or rebases they will kill your time and put you into 22hr days. PM KCDT and learn his microwave knowledge.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Ahhh, I was thinking of each invoice, and needing some kind of swipe and printer machine. Thanks!
I'd stay away from card swipers. They are intended for point of sale retail and the fees are higher.
Why do you think so many mom and pop stores have signs that demand a minimum purchase amount on cc?
Also, NEVER let a cold call salesperson try to change your merchant services. It's a scam to get your banking info. They'll never just quote you a rate, they'll always want your info first.

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
i hope it works out for you.

relines and repairs are the bread and butter of most denture labs.
i've had as many as 7 same day relines on a busy day.

they are usually cut and dry. quick and easy money. and can be used to keep the lower skilled techs busy.
i don't allow accounts to just give us all the tough stuff and send the easy stuff to a cheaper lab.
most understand, and won't do it anyway out of loyalty.
the ones who do will get weeded out.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
In the beginning keep your operating cost as low as possible, pay yourself the absolute minimal you can. Depending on many variables including how much income you need (personal) and just how much work you can get i think you can probably make it work. BUT! Plan for ups and downs, its one of the hardest things for new lab owners. The roller coaster ride i call it. Reinvest every dollar you can back into the business so you can expand your product line ASAP. Ultimately i think you will need to offer more then just repairs/relines. If you do good work you will be cutting yourself short by not offering more.

Since you've been self employed before i probably don't need to say this but be ready to work harder then you ever did for someone else. Most start a business thinking they wont have to work as hard and will make more then they did working for someone else. Those are the ones that usually fail imo...
Pay yourself less and work harder and you will be alright. ;)

Goodluck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Open up as relines and repair, but offer full dentures and flippers why not? its not much more equipment or materials. Charge teeth separately so you just get a cheap 3-5 dollar card for the flipper and keep the teeth you don't use.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Anyone using those little squares that can connect to an iPad or iPhone? See those in a lot of small
venders at fairs even.
Maybe worth your time . . . just wondering out loud.
LCM

G

Girl Meets Lab

Reaction score
Offering Relines and Repair seems like an excellent idea considering there are no labs near that offer this service.
That way, you will have a clientele to whom you can later offer additional services. You can offer them at a x cost for same day or 1 day relines and repair and offer rush cases for an additional $20-30. Just an idea.

Having them sign a contract where they will be charged for their past due balance with the credit card on file is indeed an excellent idea.

Will you pick up and deliver yourself? If you can only afford 1 driver to start, I'd look for one who is hungry to learn like an apprentice (paid) and who can fill many hats. They can learn simple tasks at the lab or take care of your invoicing and billing as well as print and distribute flyers in person or by mail. He/She can also do your research regarding accepting different payment methods etc... When doctors call for pick up off the go. To what I have seen, hire a driver just to be a driver, and they will sit down and talk when the day is slow.

For Relines and Repairs you have to educate your doctors (or their assistants) regarding the impressions. It sounds silly considering they are the ones who have dedicated years to this, but bad impressions cost you time and money. We recently received Full Upper and Lower Dentures Relines without the reline material. A flipper where the doctor wants us to raise the bite, yet sends no opposing model. Repairs for Metal Welding Clasps without impression at all. To avoid this, when they call I try to inform them what type of impression to take. Working with these incomplete cases causes Redo's, which means more driving, more labor, more materials and all to do it free of charge because not every office will take responsibility. If you return the denture to be repaired for a correct impression, it will take more time as well. If you have daily routes that's no problem, but if you don't, then it is.

When you purchase your materials don't be afraid to ask for a lower price. Depending on the quantity you will purchase of a certain item and if you have the cash on hand, some vendors might lower the price considering the sale is pretty much in their pocket.

This is just my humble opinion.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Wow, it's been 5 years this month since opening. Still going. Going more bald and more crazy, but I'm amazed its still going.

Thank God. There was NO way this happened without His and y'all's help. I paid the bills and fed my family from the very first day. I ate lots of ramen noodles, but we survived.

And just wow. I am quite overcome with all the friendly assistance and gestures of good will over the years. You people are some of the most beautiful personalities I've ever been blessed to know. I love you all.