Newbie with a salary question

C

cdtwade

Reaction score
Yep, be self-employed and work more. Also spend the time AND money to elevate one's skill set and knowledge base as high as possible.

W

Waldo

Reaction score
Great discussion about my post. I highly appreciate all your thoughts!
I definitely will move on and I think I'll go ahead and try to become a dentist. I could combine that with work as a dental lab tech since I have always loved my job in the lab.
As for the money, 100k without becoming a licensed dentist sounds good though :)

user name

user name

Reaction score
Yep, be self-employed and work more. Also spend the time AND money to elevate one's skill set and knowledge base as high as possible.

Or just call CoolHandLuke with any questions.;)

W

Waldo

Reaction score
@Luke : I don't think there is that much difference in the licensing process. We do have board exams in Germany! I would have to take the board exams yet again! After the exams I could apply to universities that offer an international dental program.

A

aqdental

Reaction score
Get your US license. Many universities have one year programs just for your situation. Will cost you around 100k. You will have a much easier life.
Agree 100%. And with your experience at the bench you will be a dr any tech would love to work with. Good luck!

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
Great discussion about my post. I highly appreciate all your thoughts!
I definitely will move on and I think I'll go ahead and try to become a dentist. I could combine that with work as a dental lab tech since I have always loved my job in the lab.
As for the money, 100k without becoming a licensed dentist sounds good though :)
Dude. I also posted a qualifier. These people were managers of a huge corporate Lab. Most of the technicians I have known were disgruntled if not broken down spiritually.

So, enter the large lab alert. Be prepared to kiss butt to secure your Golden Boy status. Your life could be sweet, but for most....eh. Not to discourage you. With your credentials you could be the ONE. But, as mentioned, you should seriously consider getting your license as a dentist before obligations (marriage, babies). That road will be easier. I understand the love of the lab though. You can disappear into the art if you find the right setting.

Just had to say that so you don't misconstrue reality with the idea of a top salary. Seven years as a tech is not all that experienced in my book. I wish you the best!!

W

Waldo

Reaction score
Yes, I should become a dentist! Or, open my own lab!

Mrs.galfriday

Mrs.galfriday

Reaction score
Pm me. My lab is in DC area and I'm always looking for good technicians. The salary you are receiving now - with no benefits - seems low for this area.
Waldo cannot PM you. He wishes to speak with you.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
You need 10 posts I believe in order to be able to use the PM.

W

Waldo

Reaction score
Hi Bob,

Thanks so much for writing me. Re-locating to Boston would be a big step, but one I might consider if I knew more about the company culture and goals. Once I can communicate via PMs here in the forum, I'll reach out and hopefully learn more.

Best,
Waldo

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
Waldo- just saw your threads. If I could inject an "old timers " thoughts: both paths are rewarding, but both are long hard roads. Pick wisely . If you can do it, I'd lean towards Dentist either general or pros. As mentioned earlier, you could have the best of both worlds. You could pick & choose your work day. See & treat pts. & schedule time to sit at bench and do cases that would require your attention. I have a Gp. That I work for, that does that and the pts. Greatly benefit from this advantage. So do I . He understands the problems that I have to over come to do the work correctly, it's a great partnership. Whichever direction you take, I wish you the best of luck. Keep all of us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk