Rejuvenating Wet Tray

C

CapitalWestTech

Reaction score
What's the process to rejuvenate a wet tray? How long in the furnace, etc.. TIA!

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
For Renfert Tropicana etc. see below. For my :) Line (I'm not sure what they recommend) I take the membrane off, and submerse it in a pan of warm water with some bleach in it for a couple of hours, rinse it, then steam clean it.

Renfert_zpsf614d3ml.png

Last edited:
C

CapitalWestTech

Reaction score
Awesome! I am using the Renfert Tropicana so this is great! Couldn't remember the steps and google isn't much help. Thanks!

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
You're welcome, I'm glad it helped. I was just going to edit my above post to ask which one you were using.

E

eethanshire

Reaction score
IMG_20150425_172323.jpg IMG_20150425_172330.jpg
This may save you from rejuvenating your tropicana tray.
I do not have a large enough furnace to accommodate for a tray this large so I had to improvise using ideas seen from renfert and smileline.
For $27 CAD I had a local glass cutting shop cut me a 6mm slab that conforms to the base, I cut several strips from a cellulose sponge from the dollar store that last a very long time without having to change out.
In the attach image you will see many levels of porcelain which stay hydrated all day and night will a little distilled water on the sponge - take in to consideration that I live in north Canada where humidity levels drop below 10 RH%
With this makeshift tray, it isn't necessary to change out porcelain, I keep adding instead of washing out. I probably clean the slab every 2 weeks just because.

I have been curious though, would my makeshift tray cause issues with the shade in the porcelain especially if the porcelain has been sitting for an extended period of time untouched, like 3 days?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Creative idea, eethanshire :) Since I also couldn't get the large tropicana tray in my burn out oven, I went for the smaller one that could, Tropicolino(?). Yet, it was to small, and was wearing out my brush tips quicker going across the grainier ceramic surface. That's when I went to the :) Line, to get a bigger size and to be able to clean it easier, yet, now I'm paying for membranes instead of brushes :rolleyes:

I do the same thing as you do, in adding porc. to my favorite mixes that stay on the slab, and in my case it can be for a month or two before I start over. Shofu Vintage and Vintage Halo are very stable (all mineral..I think) so I've never had any issues with it going wonkie on me. Vintage MP is a different story, as it seems to be humidity sensitive after so many days on a humid tray, and will turn gray or get blotchie looking (at least for me it did). The old OPC Low Wear porc. (as well as 3G) were also humidity sensitive, and it used to come with a humidor cap with desiccant beads in it (image below is and example) so I guess it depends on your porc. system and if you were to notice any changes.

I found in the past, if I only used a build up liquid to keep my tray hydrated, that over time the liquid would condense, or get more potent in the tray and start causing cracking in my build ups (separation) due to it being over dense, or not drying out normally like it used to. If I was maybe changing my porc out every 3-4 days, may have helped? So I went with distilled water and a bit of Humidistat liquid in the water, to keep the bacteria and mold down.

Now if you mean untouched over 3 days and the porc. dries out due to not keeping the sponges hydrated, would be a concern, in that you would need to remix them well, to get the bubbles out of the porc. as it re-hydrates.

IMG_3979_zpsof9qmvxi.jpg
IMG_3983_zps1nzsmcs9.jpg

Last edited:
Darby Hawkes

Darby Hawkes

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the cerafirm from Harvest. Do you like, dislike. Good with dry tray or wet tray? I can't find any working instructions.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
For the Renfert Tropicana tray, someone told me they were putting the tray in their oven at home and running the self-cleaning cycle. I haven't tried it personally, but it should do the trick as the most important thing is the high temperature and allowing it to cool slowly so you don't thermal shock it and crack it.