Jewel In PFm

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
I have a client that wants a diamond put into a porc. crown any ideas? I informed the DR. that it's a big liability he said pt. insists and will sign off waiver etc. So how to do, I have an idea but would like to know if anyone else has done this. Thanks in advance!

DevonR

DevonR

Reaction score
We always like to inform the patient that putting a diamond in the mouth does not look good like the one on your finger. Diamonds rely on light refracting from behind them to give them that sparkle. Instead we take a very small piece of round gold then cut star like cuts into it. This looks way better and more diamond like.

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
I used google translate on that link and something doesn't make sense to me.

" THE SOCKETS

The frame is made of high gold content dental gold alloy (palladium-free) and therefore absolutely mouth-resistant."

Mouth-resistant? What does that mean? I'm sure the translation isn't accurate.

krashd133

krashd133

Reaction score
Mouth-resistant? What does that mean? I'm sure the translation isn't accurate.

I'd say that means corrosion-resistant, which is the reason to use high % of noble metals (i.e. gold) in restorations

The human mouth and the pH levels of saliva are not a easy environment to be in

aidihra

aidihra

Reaction score
Thanks! But, I'm pretty sure Palladium is also corrosion resistant. I wonder why they would say 'palladium-free'?

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
They have different parts some are only diamonds to glue either in ceramic or pmma or fix like jewelers in a part of pfm metal or the others with gold to glue in ceramic or pmma and the part where the diamond is fixed is made with mouth resistant alloy but you still have maybe a problem with fda so the pure ones are maybe better for you round 35 euro per peace.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
I think you can fabricate the crown and create the Place where the diamond suppose to be fixed to and then bond and polish.

krashd133

krashd133

Reaction score
Thanks! But, I'm pretty sure Palladium is also corrosion resistant. I wonder why they would say 'palladium-free'?

Palladium has been shown to be reactive similar to Nickel, at least those patients that have Nickel reactivity typically have Palladium as well

Last edited:
Top Bottom