Is it time to start my own lab? What kind of advice can u give?

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
Haha, not a printer fan? I must be lucky. I bought an Asiga pico about 3 years ago for 9k. At the time it was the smallest accurate printer on the market. It took a few weeks to get dialed in but i was designing and printing all my pfm and e.max then burning out and pressing/casting. The numbers i could get through increased about 3-4 fold depending on the work.
The thing is still going hard today and has probably paid itself of 15 times. I think if i was to start again today i would buy the same thing.
but if you are not tech keen i wouldn't worry about it. I'm a geek.[/QUOTE

I've had several printers. Not a fan. I would rather mill my wax patterns, and if I had to do it over I would just outsource models. I would buy a mill over a printer 11times out 10...

RockyMark

RockyMark

Reaction score
You are in the right thought process. You should go ahead with your plan. You should build up your confidence. You have enough experience of work, you have a marketing experience and more importantly, you have the money to start. So you should definitely go ahead with starting your own lab.

Heidi

Heidi

Reaction score
I'm pretty m
Ok Tom is right, it is all about the money.. its beats the hell out of slaving for pennies from someone else.. but my point was.. dont expect to make it right away.
I'm pretty much expecting that in the beginning I will work very long hours and have tons of stress for the same amount of pay, possibly? I'm looking at the long term goal of building something that's mine! All mine! And having the freedoms that come along with owning my own business!

Heidi

Heidi

Reaction score
I'm all
Heidi, take a good honest evaluation of yourself and determine if your are:

1) A Do-er. There are plenty of people who procrastinate and/or take the path of least resistance. If you
are a Do-er your chances of success are much better.

2) Curious. Being a curious person is the key to learning, development and staying ahead of the competition.

3) Honest. Good accounts prefer honest labs that provide a good service/ product for a fair price.

4) Above average. If average is your goal, work for someone else. There is too much competition for average.

There are other social and financial factors, but I think these four are the most important.
I'm all those things! I'm also a very driven person. I've been told that I'm extremely good by everyone I've ever worked with. But I will say I could always be better, I'm always wanting to learn new ways of doing things. I've always been the one who wanted to know how to do everything.

Heidi

Heidi

Reaction score
Great adv
Since I did this six years ago I would like to share my advice.

-get a good accountant (because if you're successful you will get audited, just finished a 3-year audit...and let me share, it wasn't any fun at all. The real reason for the audit was mostly because three other labs closed in our local area and mine is flourishing, so best to be prepared.)
-get a good lawyer or two - (I have a bad temper for stupidity, and you may develop this trait along the way as well, plus its good to have one for general business questions, especially if you have a good accountant).
-Biggest mistake right from the start was buying all my equipment/supplies from a well known supply company that starts with a "Z". I spent close to 40K on day one, and a few months later I found Nowak Dental, sent them an itemized list of what I already purchased on Day one and had a very sobering moment of my own stupidity. I pissed away over 10K on Day one...not something I'm proud to admit.
-A good contractor or someone in the family who is very mechanically inclined. (I mention this because moving a air line, or suction line can be a daunting task if you don't have this go to person)
-Be prepared to work your ass off...(I worked over 100 hours a week for over four years straight...no breaks, no vacations, no holidays, and surely no sick days. It sucked and I wouldn't do it again!!! Sure, I'm a Marine, therefore being a stubborn jerk assuming everything is a battle/war didn't help much either.)
-If you can financially swing it, and I truly hope you can because this could free up so much time for yourself...is get a digital workflow on day one. An Open Scanner is a must, the milling machine is something you have to consider and keep it on the horizon if you can't swing it on Day one. The scanner is a get out of jail free card, along with being able to offer many different products...if you get swamped, sick, or have to leave the lab even for a day or two...you can still scan/design and send all your work out to the milling centers to get it done.
-Take courses that Dentists go to and find a niche, join a dental study club, network with other good techs, DLN, join a guild, etc...
-Make a DSLR twin flash camera a must on Day one. There is no way better way to communicate/learn your skills without it.
-Make up a folder that contains your services, flyers, brochures, mailing labels, fee/time schedules and be prepared to go out and knock on those doors and be prepared to be humbled...those pitbulls at the front desk are tough.
-Lastly, and the most important, don't forget about your family...schedule them in if you have too but whatever you do, don't sacrifice all your family time for your business (this was truly my biggest mistake). Everything in your lab is replaceable, family isn't, tough lesson to learn the hard way!!! Good Luck, keep us posted.Great advice! Thank you! I've found Nowak already thankfully. :) I'm going to use all this great advice when the time comes.

Heidi

Heidi

Reaction score
Thank you all for your advice! I will keep you all posted.

B

Bill Gust

Reaction score
I've dreamed for years of starting my own lab, I have been in the business for over 10 years, I have done it all (except casting). I specialized in ceramics and implants over the years. I have found that I am very picky and usually more critical of my work than anyone. I have the money to start, the drive to never give up, I have lots of sales and marketing experience and I have a building to do so, I have accounts that have followed me in the past, I just am a little frightened about taking the final "jump" is there anyone who could maybe give me some advice, things they wish they had done when starting their lab? Mistakes they made? How many accounts would someone need to start? Or gross $? Thanks
I just retired after 50 years of working and owning my own lab . For me the experience was rewarding in both personal and financial ways. When i opened my now lab i had been working for other labs for about 8 years . I needed to be able to have enough income to support my family and that was never a problem . In fact my projections of return were very low , and the first year I made 3 time what i had projected. I never looked back !

I was fortunate enough to do some lecturing and clinching for about 30 years of my career . Which added to my enjoyment . I am just starting to announce that i am selling my complete crown and bridge lab set up . With some of the best equipment available at a very affordable price . If you have any interest get back to me .

I started my lab with 4 accounts and they produced enough to get me started . I always thought it was important to put in a good days work , but to always have time for family . So that was how I always worked , efficiently . High quality but always on time ( never late ) . Good use of time management.

R

Ron.Ferland

Reaction score
I've dreamed for years of starting my own lab, I have been in the business for over 10 years, I have done it all (except casting). I specialized in ceramics and implants over the years. I have found that I am very picky and usually more critical of my work than anyone. I have the money to start, the drive to never give up, I have lots of sales and marketing experience and I have a building to do so, I have accounts that have followed me in the past, I just am a little frightened about taking the final "jump" is there anyone who could maybe give me some advice, things they wish they had done when starting their lab? Mistakes they made? How many accounts would someone need to start? Or gross $? Thanks
Service the hell out of your clients and most become lifelong friends and customers. Be approachable, not arrogant or self serving. help your docs be the best they can be. Save them chair time. Help them sell their wears to their clients. This last point has served me very well. Helping your docs sell treatment plans will grow your business faster than anything. Remember, most labs bring a price list to their first meeting. I don't. If a docs leads with that question, on price, I suggest one of the many cheap labs in town. I sell saved chair time and better case plan acceptance. Hope some of this helps you.

Heidi

Heidi

Reaction score
Well I did it, my lab is about to open, I've taken all of your advice to heart, right now I'm feeling overwhelmed and stressed about every detail but I'm confident it will all work out fine. I should be ready to go next week. Wish me luck! My lab is called Golden State Dental Arts. If any of you are willing to give me advice or answer my questions I'd love help. I keep running into minor issues with the stupidest little things!

Heidi

Heidi

Reaction score
Oh and I got a nice building, big enough to grow. My handy husband did all the work and built and installed everything. I found a lab that closed within 1 month and bought all their brand new equipment or should I say stole it for next to nothing! I bought a new scanner on its way! Hired a graphic designer to make all my marketing stuff and website. Should be good to go! The irritating thing is dealing with the business end. I'm an artist not a computer person.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Me too , that's why I'm here on dln talking to all these nerds.

Yourgoes

Yourgoes

Reaction score
The irritating thing is dealing with the business end. I'm an artist not a ....
The e-myth is a must read.

The E-Myth (“Entrepreneurial Myth”) is the mistaken belief that most businesses are started by people with tangible business skills, when in fact most are started by “technicians” who know nothing about running a business. Hence most fail.

The issue is one of perception. You only can address issues you are aware of, technicians have their own way of looking at the world. Entrepreneurs see the world differently.

Neither is wrong, it simply depends on your objective; if you are running a business, you desperately need to see the world through Entrepreneur eyes. This article gives some good reasons why.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/martinz...yth-principle-is-still-alive-and-flourishing/

The first and hardest thing for a owner/technician/artist to do is to delegate effectively (hence the absolutely insane hours most of us have worked). Sounds simple, proves very difficult, lots of control/trust issues to work out.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
thats awesome heidi.. sounds like everything is falling into place.. What scanner did you order?

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Fast mover! Congrats. Good luck with everything if you need any advice i am happy to share what i know...which is not much.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Good luck and make sure to have a life, and time for your family. lab work take long hours.

Three good rules to follow : a. Great client service with a smile and good relationship with office staff, all of them with respect and caring. b. Be consistent with your work and timing and always strive to be the best. c. And above all money and fees are at most importance " even thou is not mentioned at the beginning "

Start small and grow accordingly. Buy a milling machine intead of a printer because you could do more with it. And lastly great work ethics all the times. Good luck .

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Purchase disability insurance asap!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Good call.
I just submitted the forms for my wife.This will help cover the salary of our new employee.

The odds of getting cancer are 1 in 3 . DI is a necessity in this business.

Top Bottom