Maestro or d500 or ???

C

CoffeeGuy

Reaction score
I have a few accounts that are asking me about digital study models and thought I would take the plunge and get involved in the new technology. Any help? I feel like I am about to invest in either VHS or Beta and don't know which is Beta. I'll be starting off doing study models but would like to go completely digital in the near future and any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
what do you mean by "doing study models" ?

there are 3 components to digital work and many ways to skin a cat. you want ortho models? you need the Ortho Analyzer from 3shape which is a CAD program, so it needs to be fed scan data; scan data will either be from impression scanning or model scanning and quite frankly if you are scanning a model in order to produce a model you are doing it wrong.

so lets quickly run through the digital process

1. digital impressions. these substitute the impression taking stage, so in order to produce a model you will either need to mill or print a model. but this is putting the cart before the horse; before the model can be produced, this impression scan should be used to produce a CAD file of the work to be performed (crown, partial, etc)

2. model scanning. since digital impressions arent as common as they could be just yet, conventional impressions must be poured and models from stone produced. scanning these stone models is the most common point of entry for people these days; this allows you to produce a CAD file for the restoration and once this CAD file is complete, you enter 3.

3. digital additive/subtractive manufacturing. 3d printers add layer-upon-layer of material to additively produce your cad file. milling machines take a big block and cut away at it, subtractively manufacturing your parts. both processes have drawbacks and considerations need to be made for each process.

so forgive me when i say i don't understand your desire to produce "study models" via a scanner. scanners produce scans, not models...

C

CoffeeGuy

Reaction score
Luke, dental guy? In ortho, I've always said "doing study models" as in, doctor sends in impressions and I make consultation models. They are usually taken before treatment, during and after. Whether they are produced with plaster and a trimmer, or with a scanner and computer, the concept is still the same. I've been working with a digital scanner supplier and am wondering about the pros and cons between the Maestro or the d500--or other scanner, for an ortho lab. I realize the tech is more advanced for the dental side of things, but I won't be getting into printing models for a while yet. Eventually, though, I'll be working directly from scans and printing working models. For now, though, the docs just want a 3d image they can manipulate, measure and sometimes present to the patient. Study models. So, Maestro or d500 or ???? Anybody? They both come with digital model producing software: pros and cons?

On a side note, a couple years ago I came across a site that was robust with ortho tech people. I've been looking for it ever since. Any help there either from ortho people? This site seems light on the ortho side. Do we have a place of our own? Did I post this in the wrong place?

Thanks!

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It makes more sense for the dr to buy an intra oral scanner and send the files directly to a printer or show the patient the 3d image on his computer.

Especially if he is scanning braces.

The Trios has an ortho module that will provide him with everything he needs.

http://www.3shapedental.com/orthodontics.aspx

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
for just creating a 3d model to manipulate then both systems are quite capable of producing what you want.

for future integration it will be much much easier to upgrade the d500 to 800/900 than it will be to get better quality and more advanced software out of the maestro.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
for just creating a 3d model to manipulate then both systems are quite capable of producing what you want.

for future integration it will be much much easier to upgrade the d500 to 800/900 than it will be to get better quality and more advanced software out of the maestro.

Maestro make their own scanner and their own full featured Scanning Software, Advanced Ortho Software and just about to be released a Decent Dental CAD for crowns Bridges etc.
Not many companies do all that... only 2 that I know of and maestro is one of them.
I dont believe the dental CAD is advanced as say exocad or 3Shape but it does the meat and potatoes stuff just fine.

The MDS 400 Scanner from Maestro does a great job, it's a striped light colour scanner, and while others are using "blue" Maestro is capable of ANY colour you wish to tune it to, "blue" included. Its also easily programable, ...programable... ??? yes with a few easy commands you can get the scanner to do scan in any angle/pattern, shape you like.

It also scans impressions better and faster and more predictable than any scanner i have seen.

One of its features is a virtual 360 degree scan feature which is very cool, and the process is very, very clever.

So it has lots of features, its also about HALF the price of a 3Shape D900 Scanner.

What is best? Who knows.. each company will tell you theirs is best, the fairest way would be an independent study, i would love to see that.
Both the D900 and the MDS400 are very good scanners..i suggest try both...at least get scans from both and compare.

What I do know , if you are interested in doing some scanning/digital models with Ortho software, then the Maestro is a very affordable solution, that will give you an viable upgrade path just incase if you want to get into C and B and implant work.

BTW The scans from the Maestro can also be imported to 3 Shape with not too much effort and the scanner works directly with exocad as well.

If anyone would like some scans to look at , don't hesitate to contact me.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
MAESTRO MDS400 SCANS

The Rhino is a 360 Scan PVS IMP QUAD.png impression scan 6.JPG RHINO.jpg CAST 1.png

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You da man Terry!

AGV

AGV

Reaction score
I have a Maestro for C & B and implants. With the assistance that Terry so gently provided me, this scanner is at least as good as any other stripped light scanner.
Terry, many thanks for your help and support.
I owe you a beer !!

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Did you mention beer? Yippee

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Maestro make their own scanner and their own full featured Scanning Software, Advanced Ortho Software and just about to be released a Decent Dental CAD for crowns Bridges etc.
Not many companies do all that... only 2 that I know of and maestro is one of them.
I dont believe the dental CAD is advanced as say exocad or 3Shape but it does the meat and potatoes stuff just fine.

The MDS 400 Scanner from Maestro does a great job, it's a striped light colour scanner, and while others are using "blue" Maestro is capable of ANY colour you wish to tune it to, "blue" included. Its also easily programable, ...programable... ??? yes with a few easy commands you can get the scanner to do scan in any angle/pattern, shape you like.

It also scans impressions better and faster and more predictable than any scanner i have seen.

One of its features is a virtual 360 degree scan feature which is very cool, and the process is very, very clever.

So it has lots of features, its also about HALF the price of a 3Shape D900 Scanner.

What is best? Who knows.. each company will tell you theirs is best, the fairest way would be an independent study, i would love to see that.
Both the D900 and the MDS400 are very good scanners..i suggest try both...at least get scans from both and compare.

What I do know , if you are interested in doing some scanning/digital models with Ortho software, then the Maestro is a very affordable solution, that will give you an viable upgrade path just incase if you want to get into C and B and implant work.

BTW The scans from the Maestro can also be imported to 3 Shape with not too much effort and the scanner works directly with exocad as well.

If anyone would like some scans to look at , don't hesitate to contact me.

have you got any photos of the process to make models off those scans or is it just a direct import to model builder?

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
At this stage you need to invert the scan then direct import to a model builder software such as 3Shape, exocad or Dentalwings, even DentalReshaper
can do it but never had the time/patience to figure that program out.

I will do some photos and post if you like..its just Christmas rush so time is premium at the moment, so it will be ASAP.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
when you get some time maybe you can email me one of the scans. i'd love that orange and purple impression. mistergodfrey at gmail.com

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Sure can do..

I can export as STL or PLY

PLY will keep colour information and you can inspect it in Meshlab in colour

What's the best email address?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
send in ply, address as above. i suppose meshlab or freecad can convert it to stl, and possibly model builder is open to ply. anyway if it doesnt work no harm done.

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
I can send the ply and stl... ill get something out today...its 7.30 am here

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
I have emailed 2 scans

D

drvvij

Reaction score
I have emailed 2 scans
Hi Terry, I have the old maestro 3d that does not do impression scans and am wondering should i upgrade? Does the new scanner scan malocclusion impressions well pre Ortho and then how well does it handle creating study models in the software with correct articulation? Is it possible for you to send me the stl files also? my email address vishalvij @ gmail . com

Lastly do you think well fitting essix or hawley retainers could be made from impression scans?

Terry Whitty

Terry Whitty

Reaction score
Hi ,
All the tests I have done with the scanner have been positive as far as impression scanning goes.
I will send you the scans as soon as get back from vacation.
What model scanner do you have?
Yes you could make retainers no problem.

Top Bottom