Last big case milling before the holiday.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Cool case. Not knocking this design at all, but just wondering: It seems the mx buccal cusps are a bit 'tight' to the md teeth. Why not tip them out? Or does this lock the pt in to a better centric? Im thinking more in terms of how i would set up a mx denture...

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments this is exactly why I share to get dialogue started!

Remember this is or will be a fixed case, while I normally try and set for group function or balanced on denture cases I go with canine/ant guidance on these big fixed bridges.

This arch is currently opposing a denture. I have a balanced set up now that when the lower denture gets converted to a fixed arch next year we will alter the lower to follow more traditional C&B occlusial scheme.

While the virtual articulator shows me what I want to see now, things may slightly change after I do my micro cut back on the ant in the green state.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
John, why don't you do your cutback on the design or is it just easier for you to do it after it mills?

Just saying. It would give you a consistent edge and depth of cut for the cutback. You could
spend your time somewhere else and let the mill cut it back for you.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Glad to see that the Dr. chose to use 6 implants for the heavy Zr structure. Just

a personal preference.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
John, why don't you do your cutback on the design or is it just easier for you to do it after it mills?

Just saying. It would give you a consistent edge and depth of cut for the cutback. You could
spend your time somewhere else and let the mill cut it back for you.

I do not like the mamelon library that I have and the standard reductive cutback tech does not allow me the control what I can achieve by hand. If they 3shape added a feature to actualy do a mamelon cutback on any library I may change my mind

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
I do not like the mamelon library that I have and the standard reductive cutback tech does not allow me the control I can acheive by hand. If they 3shape added a feature to actualy do a mamelon cutback on any library I may change my mind

Ah..Ok. Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to play with these types of designs over the next couple of weeks and see what I can come up with.

I'll let you know. What kind of reduction would you like? 1mm all around?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
No Kent, I like to make a ling finish line that is 1 to 1.5mm shy of the incisal edge, with mamelon structures cut and tall for support of the incisal with .5 to .75 occ reduction with depth cuts on the facial of less than .3 to .5 for minimal glass. This allows a very nice strong and aesthetic out come that will blend well to the stained post ZI. Too much glass up front always make the transition to the post stand out.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
No Kent, I like to make a ling finish line that is 1 to 1.5mm shy of the incisal edge, with mamelon structures cut and tall for support of the incisal with .5 to .75 occ reduction with depth cuts on the facial of less than .3 to .5 for minimal glass. This allows a very nice strong and aesthetic out come that will blend well to the stained post ZI. Too much glass up front always make the transition to the post stand out.

John...could you take a pic of that when you're done in the green state so I can see if you don't mind?

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I think its already in the sintering oven Kent but I will see if I can get a good shot of it when I get in on Monday

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
No worries. Thanks John. I'd like to see and try to replicate it later.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I have designed and milled a ton of these in house this year and feel I am pretty fast. I can tell you the software works much better that it once did with gingiva design which speeds things up tremendously. The click total on gingival design is mind blowing I would bet this case has at least 1200 clicks just in the gingiva.

Time wise, once my tech has it scanned in I can do a single arch like this in about 1.5 hours with minimal distractions while working out all the movements. These designs are freehand no preprep other than a bite rim, when a denture set up is done and scanned in the time to design is reduced by 20%.

HOWEVER each case is slightly different and when I first started designing it was all day project before I was happy with an arch. Waiting for it to render when moving forward and backward in the program tweaking things takes time and experience really cuts the time frame down once you have a few under your belt.

Good for you for moving forward you will love the possibilities.

KTR

KTR

Reaction score
John, are you milling these bridges on your mini? I thought they required 5 axis, haven't milled one yet.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
John, are you milling these bridges on your mini? I thought they required 5 axis, haven't milled one yet.

While I have milled complex cases with the 4 axis Mini, today I mill these on my Select

A

Acrylic Innovation

Reaction score
i'd feel good just knowing how to set it up in 3shape... god i'm way behind the 8 ball here.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
John this is truly an awesome design. Constructively, the facials of premolars appear a bit flat at Cerv 1/3 when compared to the canine and molars. Fantastic.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I agree Troy, a lot of times the view gets a bit distorted with screen shots but I definitely can see what you have pointed out. You may end up making me build up the bellies a bit back there :)

Top Bottom