flexistone replacement in IvoBase processing

katya

katya

Reaction score
Hi!
I love everything about IvoBase except Flexistone pricing on the web its between 76$(then I have to wait 6 mo to receive it -still waiting) and 214$.
So my question to my colleagues is how do you manage it? I tried to use type 4 stone instead of flexistone and it is too much work to polish the denture afterwords -I guess I will have to do it since silicone is so expensive
If any use stone then how do you do it?
Thank you

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
Try another lab putty type silicone with a high shore hardness. Or try bite registration silicones for docs, come in cartridges and can be piped onto job with a gun - gotta work quick & smart as the bite reg stuff usually sets fast.

B

bettsy

Reaction score
Futar D Slow by Kettenbach, maybe a cheaper alternative

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Using type III buff stone mixed half with lab plaster for investing. Anterior labial / posterior buccal is covered
with a thin layer of 3M bite registration material. You may or may have not noticed. The Ivobase
utilizing an electric current for the heat source seems to harden the stone, which in turn makes it more
difficult to break out. That is why I have found the above technique to work really well.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Anyone try Rapidflask? A pourable stone for processing. I use it over a cushion of Zetalabor HD.

C

cdtwade

Reaction score
How long do you keep the flasks in hot water to soften/melt the wax?

katya

katya

Reaction score
thank you everybody.
I am glad I asked so I will try your suggestions and I will keep you posted....

C

cdtwade

Reaction score
Many times it's technique, not materials. That's why I asked the question that I did. Keep buying different stuff, that usually works eventually. Especially when you open a can of proper technique. You can find that here on this forum. Cheap, too.

katya

katya

Reaction score
Many times it's technique, not materials. That's why I asked the question that I did. Keep buying different stuff, that usually works eventually. Especially when you open a can of proper technique. You can find that here on this forum. Cheap, too.
Hi, I guess I did ignore your question-pardon me.
I keep it 13 minutes

C

cdtwade

Reaction score
I called Ivoclar to ask about sil-tech and I was told that it won't sustain the heat.And when you separate the flasks after boiling does sil-tech stick to the stone?
thank you

Overheating the wax. I feel a sarcasm moment coming on, but I'm not going to share.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Heat is going to transfer through any type silicone / bite registration material.
Just fabricated a clear surgical guide processing it in the Ivobase unit, investing
the denture in silicone type material. The only wax I had was the sprueing. Using a Wasserman
boil out, the pre-heat time is 12 minutes. I believe your problem is mainly technique error.

C

cdtwade

Reaction score
5 minutes for the first flask, another minute for each additional flask. One coat of separator. I like Ivoclar and DVS is a good separator.

J

Jmichael

Reaction score
I use flexistone on all Ivobase investments. If you just put it around the teeth as opposed to covering the entire waxup it goes a lot farther. I only keep my flasks in boiling water for 6 minutes, then separate. You do have to be watchful/careful of loose teeth, I lightly probe them and remove any that are loose and glue them back in. When I was doing it without the Flexistone, there was always some stone stuck around the teeth. I know you guys are going to say that I boiled too long and caused that, but I always set a 6 minute timer on the flask in the boiling water and still had problems. I love the way the dentures come out clean with no stone stuck on them when using the Flexistone. And with the Flexistone, separator does not get anywhere near the teeth.

C

cdtwade

Reaction score
How do you know we are going to say that you boiled it too long? There is a reason that some stone is stuck around the teeth (no Flexistone vs. Flexistone). Do you know what causes that to happen?

J

Jmichael

Reaction score
Is this a quiz? My understanding is that boiling it too long causes the wax to seep into the stone around the teeth, preventing the separator from properly isolating the stone from the acrylic & monomer. But, if you didn't boil it too long to cause the wax to melt, what is the cause of stone sticking around the teeth (if you rule out improper separator application)?

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Is this a quiz? My understanding is that boiling it too long causes the wax to seep into the stone around the teeth, preventing the separator from properly isolating the stone from the acrylic & monomer. But, if you didn't boil it too long to cause the wax to melt, what is the cause of stone sticking around the teeth (if you rule out improper separator application)?
Problems with cleanliness almost always come down to technique failure.
These are:
boiling long enough to liquify the wax,
Failure to remove all wax from teeth during waxup,
Failure to achieve a smooth gingival margin,
introducing resin to the flask too early,
and/or too much monomer in the mix,
expiration of or failure to apply separator correctly.

I always comes down to one or more of these.
Asking why a technique fails by couching the question in the manner you did is pointless.
It IS one or more of these issues.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Bringing back an old thread. Can you use regular flexistone on Ivocap, or does it have to be the flexistone plus?

Top Bottom