Synspar Opaque.... cracking :(

willadean

willadean

Reaction score
Hey everyone.. I know this question is very elementary but I guess it is just something I never learned, or have forgotten over the years.... anyway, my synspar opaque is coming out of the oven on 1st bake cracked, I do try to keep the 1st layer thin and even.... thoughts on how to remedy this? Let the copings sit longer to dry? Reduce drying time? Less water in opaque mix? More water?!!? (lol, ok, I know that one is wrong... ) I fill the cracks in on 2nd bake and they come down beautiful, if the cracks are too big, I grind them open a bit before that 2nd bake... but come on, I remember when I first started opaquing kind of "showing off" that I could do 1 layer opaques they were so perfect!! LOL!! my how times change....:eek:
Thanks for your input!!!
~Willa

Last edited:
magushnik

magushnik

Reaction score
you leaving any sharp corners on the framework???

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Willa, I used synspar for awhile. I always had to do a very thin wash before my first layer opaque. Then I noticed that the heat rate had to be lower than normal or I would also get cracking. I'm assuming you use the paste opaque (no water needed or added). Other than that, it was a slam dunk, and welcome back to the dental world.

willadean

willadean

Reaction score
thanks for the input... no i am not leaving sharpo corners... the cracking is anywhere on the copings... sometimes on the occlusion, sometimes on the facial or lingual.. there is no pattern to it... I am guessing that I am putting it on too thick. I am going to try the thin wash with the lowered heat rate and see what comes of it. Thank You!!!

willadean

willadean

Reaction score
and yes, I am using the powder that you mix with water.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
OH, the powder with the water is horrible, invest in the paste opaque, save you tons of time and tons of headaches.

Z

zena

Reaction score
Hey everyone.. I know this question is very elementary but I guess it is just something I never learned, or have forgotten over the years.... anyway, my synspar opaque is coming out of the oven on 1st bake cracked, I do try to keep the 1st layer thin and even.... thoughts on how to remedy this? Let the copings sit longer to dry? Reduce drying time? Less water in opaque mix? More water?!!? (lol, ok, I know that one is wrong... ) I fill the cracks in on 2nd bake and they come down beautiful, if the cracks are too big, I grind them open a bit before that 2nd bake... but come on, I remember when I first started opaquing kind of "showing off" that I could do 1 layer opaques they were so perfect!! LOL!! my how times change....:eek:
Thanks for your input!!!
~Willa
We do two layers of opaque. During the first layer will make sure to have an 80 % coverage, I place my honey comb tray on a coffee warmer plate which I have plugged in on my bench for this purpose only "I swear" to let my copings dry, before I put it in the furnace. I make sure I'm not putting it directly in hot furnace in which someone just came out of, because this burst of hot heat causes cracking in the opaque. Always make sure your opaque is dry not wet or to thick when it's going in the furnace. I hold the crown with the hemostats as I opaque, and once my first layer is on I tap on the hemostats slightly to vibrate the wet opaque and then set in on the honey comb tray which is already on my coffee warmer and let it dry takes a couple minutes. For my second layer I do the same. If I were to see cracks I would not opaque over that cause that would cause a weak base for the porcelain to sit on. I would sandblast off the lifted opaque areas and re opaque. Also make sure you start off with clean metal and avoid touching with your hands because the oils on our fingers could contaminate the metal.

Last edited:
sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
I would try not using plain water to mix the powder opaque, use the Synspar recommended opaque liquid for mixing. They add conditioners are ingredients to prolong the dry-time of the opaque, make it cover & spread easier & hopefully reduce or eliminate those cracks.
Your right on with a thin first opaque! Your aiming for about 60% coverage on the 1st bake.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I dont know of anybody using powder opaque anymore. When I used to use it I spray opaqued. That is very nice some, of the most beautiful opaqued copings you will ever see, a very thin perfectly even coat with texture,but it required a larger area and its a mess.

D

dentcre

Reaction score
I dont know of anybody using powder opaque anymore. When I used to use it I spray opaqued. That is very nice some, of the most beautiful opaqued copings you will ever see, a very thin perfectly even coat with texture,but it required a larger area and its a mess.

I seen some spray cans ,very convenient,,.
cant remember who is the manufacturer ..

C

cwdental

Reaction score
I've had trouble with Synspar opaques cracking for the past couple of years. Ive found that using a hot plate helps, but doesn't rid the problem. I've found that using Nortake PoBA for a base coat works much better. While I nomally wouldn't recommend mixing porcelains, I've been doing this for a couple years with better coverage and results than with any synspar opaque. Give it a try!

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I didn't read the entire thread, but try Appling with an instrument. A lot easier to control amount of moisture that way.

Hary

Hary

Reaction score
try to climb the temperature of your furnace a bit slower and lower your start temp and see if that will solve your problem.

Toto

Toto

Reaction score
I do what Zena said - place my opaques on a warmer (Coffee) plate before placing in the furnace -got rid of cracking problems for me

GG - J

GG - J

Reaction score
Thin 1st coat
I use A-1 for all 1st coats
I also condense a few light taps and dry in muffle will still on hemostats

Used to spray them 15-20 yrs ago with a air brush set up by far the best opaques