Dental Lab for only Wax-ups

P

Pioneer Mangalore

Reaction score
Would you guys recommend on starting a Dental Lab for only wax-ups where presently labs in my area still use the conventional method and since we've 3D Printers in-house there won't be much investment required for a start-up.
We've shortlisted on purchasing Exocad & Identica Blue or should we go with 3Shape.
Another question would be, what type of dental work would be possible with this setup.

Thanks in advance.

P

Pioneer Mangalore

Reaction score
Oh.. :D
Then what type of dental work would you guys recommend starting with for a start-up lab with ^ type of a setup.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Oh.. :D
Then what type of dental work would you guys recommend starting with for a start-up lab with ^ type of a setup.

That's a tough one for me right now. 5 years ago I'd say if you have a full understanding and can competently do fixed and removables then go for it. Most cases are complex these days, they are integrated with implants, combination cases where you have removable and fixed at the same time. However, cad/cam is moving from being a great tool in the lab to being a must have to do what we do everyday and be able to offer the variety to your Docs. If you have the cash, I'd start a digital lab...it will and has only been getting better for the ones who moved this direction. But hey, what do I know, if you have some badass ceramic skills, you don't need anything digital, just your favorite brush. Either way, knowledge is something you can do now...be a human sponge and soak up as much of it as you can, that trinket of info will be helpful if and when you do take the plunge into this endeavor.

Oh, one last thing, and this ranks right up there with the knowledge, make sure you network. Make lab friends, lab owner friends, manufacturer friends, whether online or in person. Don't get the persona that you want to do it all yourself, that you know everything and get that defensive posture/bubble because you will need help from time to time. We all do, and it's okay to ask, sure there is trolls in any room, but be positive and appreciative and that type of attitude will take you a long ways in this industry.

Last edited:
J

James Kivimaki

Reaction score
I would say ortho lab would be the way to go. There seems to be alot less competition there and low overhead.

P

Pioneer Mangalore

Reaction score
That's a tough one for me right now. 5 years ago I'd say if you have a full understanding and can competently do fixed and removables then go for it. Most cases are complex these days, they are integrated with implants, combination cases where you have removable and fixed at the same time. However, cad/cam is moving from being a great tool in the lab to being a must have to do what we do everyday and be able to offer the variety to your Docs. If you have the cash, I'd start a digital lab...it will and has only been getting better for the ones who moved this direction. But hey, what do I know, if you have some badass ceramic skills, you don't need anything digital, just your favorite brush. Either way, knowledge is something you can do now...be a human sponge and soak up as much of it as you can, that trinket of info will be helpful if and when you do take the plunge into this endeavor.

Oh, one last thing, and this ranks right up there with the knowledge, make sure you network. Make lab friends, lab owner friends, manufacturer friends, whether online or in person. Don't get the persona that you want to do it all yourself, that you know everything and get that defensive posture/bubble because you will need help from time to time. We all do, and it's okay to ask, sure there is trolls in any room, but be positive and appreciative and that type of attitude will take you a long ways in this industry.
Much appreciated.. in the end motivation is all you need to get things started.. Thanks

browncharles

browncharles

Reaction score
Having a Dental Lab for only Wax-ups is a very rare thing. Also it is a very good thing as Wax-ups solves the problem of the patients in many ways. For this you need to take proper records of Protrusive bite, Diagnostic Photographs and a proper treatment plan.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
but always the ceramist that finishes the case has other ideas about the proper final look, and the waxup more or less ignored.

unless you are continually doing LVI FMR cases. following their (5? 8?) "core" phases. you know, multiple model sets mounted at HIP, waxups, orthotic waxups, orthotic model dupes (cross mounted),bite opening (remount everything),rewaxup, create bite reg on models for models without waxup, with waxup, with orthotic, without orthotic, wait a year for the orthotic to open the pt bite, and proceed with prep. hope the doc doesnt lose any of the work, or screw up using the wrong bite and you lose the positions and shimbashi and everything and have to silicone the waxup over the prep model.

sorry, just a little bitter.

Top Bottom