Exocad Updates

L

le-ant

Reaction score
Copy your Workparameter.xml file and paste into new version.

I would leave your DentalDB folder active and "as-is".

Only rename and replace the old DentalCADApp folder to "Old_DentalCADApp" or something like that and replace with the newer version.

Copy/paste your library folder....from old to new CADApp....

This way, you do not loose any patient data or material settings.

You can have multiple versions of exocad on same PC btw.....

I doubt there are many magical settings that you will be missing out on.
Once I've pasted the work parameters file from the older version should I delete
Re-name an existing material you are not using...if Shanda's suggestion does not work.

BUT! First copy your workparameters.xml just in case you fubar it.

It is easy to get to make a mess in there.
Cheers! I'll give it a go:)

L

le-ant

Reaction score
Copy your Workparameter.xml file and paste into new version.

I would leave your DentalDB folder active and "as-is".

Only rename and replace the old DentalCADApp folder to "Old_DentalCADApp" or something like that and replace with the newer version.

Copy/paste your library folder....from old to new CADApp....

This way, you do not loose any patient data or material settings.

You can have multiple versions of exocad on same PC btw.....

I doubt there are many magical settings that you will be missing out on.
Once I've pasted the work parameters file from the older version should I delete
Have you went into the work parameters to see if it just needs a check mark next to it? More than likely that's all it's going to take!
Once you've made revisions to the default settings, you'll need to shut down, and restart, the DentalDB in order for the DB to implement those changes.

~Shanda

"
Thanks! I'll take a look:)

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Copy and paste the file to desktop.

Rename, "Original_Workparameter".xml

This way, you won't loose the original.

The active One will stay where you found it. If you get error or crash, then delete the active and place original back.

I would back-up most of your stuff in a safe place before playing around. Hide it somewhere in your PC or Desktop

L

le-ant

Reaction score

The active One will stay where you found it. If you get error or crash, then delete the active and place original back.

I would back-up most of your stuff in a safe place before playing around. Hide it somewhere in your PC or Desktop
Cheers. I made a backup and had a play. Turns out it's lucky I had the backup:) All sorted now though, thanks again for your help.

L

le-ant

Reaction score

Ok, one last question. The new version isn't saving the patients name in the database, just numbers. How do I correct this?

Not to worry, found where to change the settings in the xml files :)

Last edited:
T

Till

Reaction score
Hi,

Re-name an existing material you are not using...if Shanda's suggestion does not work.

BUT! First copy your workparameters.xml just in case you fubar it.

It is easy to get to make a mess in there.

Here's some additional tips:

You can use an 'old' WorkParamsDB.xml file with a 'new' exocad version. The only limitation is that, if new indications were added since the old version, these will not show up in the list of indications. Example: If your old exocad installation didn't have Bite Splint support yet, then even in the new version, "Bite Splint" will no longer show up in the list of indications if you keep using your old WorkParamsDB file. This is intentional and makes sense, since there's no way the software can know what the correct parameters are for your system and that particular new indication. Since new indications don't get added with every new version, chances are that in many cases you can use the old WorkParamsDB.xml without any limitations.

You can also have multiple WorkParamsDB.xml files (so, no need to overwrite the original file!): E.g. you can rename your old version to WorkParamsDB-MyOldVersion.xml and place it in the config folder of the new installation. Now, you can just open the DentalDB config dialog, and switch the material presets (e.g. "Default" to "MyOldVersion") back and forth whenever you feel like it.

bye,
Till

T

Till

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm within the first year so updates are still free.

By the way, I'd like to explain how 'first year' is defined - of course in a very customer-friendly way:

Any new version that is compiled by exocad within the first year after first use of the dongle will work. Example:

In September 2014, you first use your exocad dongle. In August 2015, a new version is release by exocad. Your reseller takes 3 months to thoroughly test it and configure/brand it, and gives you the version in November 2015. Will you be able to use it? YES, because not the date at which you install the new version is relevant, but the date at which that new version was originally built by exocad.

bye,
Till

L

le-ant

Reaction score
Hi,

By the way, I'd like to explain how 'first year' is defined - of course in a very customer-friendly way:

Any new version that is compiled by exocad within the first year after first use of the dongle will work. Example:

In September 2014, you first use your exocad dongle. In August 2015, a new version is release by exocad. Your reseller takes 3 months to thoroughly test it and configure/brand it, and gives you the version in November 2015. Will you be able to use it? YES, because not the date at which you install the new version is relevant, but the date at which that new version was originally built by exocad.

bye,
Till
Hi Till,

Thanks for the advice. I used my old xml file but like you said in the last post the new indications didn't show up. I ended up biting the bullet and re doing all the settings. It's easier than I thought it would be! One thing I have noticed in the latest version is the path of insertion step is skipped sometimes. When a colleague was designing a temp bridge the path of insertion option was shown, but it hadn't automatically used a common path of insertion for all teeth. I know you can just tick the box, but is there a way to set it to common path as a default?

Anthony

Last edited:
biodentg

biodentg

Reaction score
Hi Till,

When the new EXOCAD platform design is released, will we all need to buy a new dongle to run the new interface?
Is it possible to run EXOCAD on an iMac? what about if Boot Camp is installed?

danke,

George

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Hi,

Here's some additional tips:

You can use an 'old' WorkParamsDB.xml file with a 'new' exocad version. The only limitation is that, if new indications were added since the old version, these will not show up in the list of indications. Example: If your old exocad installation didn't have Bite Splint support yet, then even in the new version, "Bite Splint" will no longer show up in the list of indications if you keep using your old WorkParamsDB file. This is intentional and makes sense, since there's no way the software can know what the correct parameters are for your system and that particular new indication. Since new indications don't get added with every new version, chances are that in many cases you can use the old WorkParamsDB.xml without any limitations.

You can also have multiple WorkParamsDB.xml files (so, no need to overwrite the original file!): E.g. you can rename your old version to WorkParamsDB-MyOldVersion.xml and place it in the config folder of the new installation. Now, you can just open the DentalDB config dialog, and switch the material presets (e.g. "Default" to "MyOldVersion") back and forth whenever you feel like it.

bye,
Till[/QU

Hi Till why is the paraemter config tool not longer part of the software maybe you can close the tool for the resellers that every outhouse part is save to their configuration , but all inhouse parts can be changed fast and if the guys have problems they can take a look at the closed outhouse configuration.Its so stupid to search in these endless xml files.

R

Radu

Reaction score
Hi Till,

When the new EXOCAD platform design is released, will we all need to buy a new dongle to run the new interface?
Is it possible to run EXOCAD on an iMac? what about if Boot Camp is installed?

danke,

George
I don't see why not as long as you have enough RAM and graphic card is compatible.. I will try it myself soon.

R

Radu

Reaction score
Let me know if you do it first.. If it worked.

Top Bottom