Change of shade, do you charge?

L

lowlight

Reaction score
It makes my blood boil when I get asked to change the shade of a try-in, especially if its a big job.
I wouldn't feel as bad If I charged for it, but do other labs charge?

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
If I've ground on the teeth, I charge for the new teeth and send them the old ones. I don't charge for the reset though.

Tayebdental

Tayebdental

Tayeb S. CDT
Donator
Reaction score
Yes English
Sí Spanish, Italian
Oui French
Ha’an-ji Urdu
Haan Bengali
Ja German, Dutch, Norwegian, Afrikaans
Sim Portuguese
Да(da) Russian
Ναι Greek
Ano Czech
כן(ken) Hebrew
howdo Kannada
الموافقة.(na’am) Arabic
Tak Polish, Ukrainian
آرى. Persian
avanu Telugu
hai Japanese
hanji Punjabi

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
If you are practicing GMP (Good Manufacture Practice) you officially cannot use teeth tried in one person into another. So unless you are charging 3x for each set you bet you need to charge. You should also be charging for the labor for doing the reset (I charge 1/2 Setup for a reset.) Practically we boil off the teeth (boiling doesn't control C Dificiel, or HIV/AIDS & Global Tuberculosis spray with H2O2 and dry before recardng) and recard but under ACA cross contamination rules your not supposed to. Also whether you ground on or not most tooth suppliers wont accept them as return.

kimba

kimba

Reaction score
yes , only so we can continue to make a profit from our work

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
I would love to charge for the reset but my main competition says on their website " we don't charge for resets, never have, never will" grrr...

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
working for free ended many years ago.

why will a client ever care about learning how to get a bite correct if you do resets for free?
a fair and reasonable cost for a reset depends on how much time it takes.

not every charge has to be a "set charge". some charges can vary and thats ok. when it moves out of the "set charge" area i've found around $100 per hr is acceptable.

"looks great, change the shade" if exact duplicate of the work... exact same charge.
they get the used teeth.

Last edited:
AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I would love to charge for the reset but my main competition says on their website " we don't charge for resets, never have, never will" grrr...
I had a competition who said that, although she does charge for the pickup for an adjustment ($25) she also charge if there is a rearticulation ($25),She said she never charged the reset but she does charge for multiple set-ups ($45.ea)
If there is a change of shade it is not a reset it is a complete setup with new teeth!

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
So if I get this right by reading through the posts it's a resounding " there are no such thing as a reset"; only newsets. :) Perhaps the same should be applied to C&B remakes I guess. This term/concept was probably introduced by a doc who did not want to pay for the rework (his error). :cool:

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You unskilled workers can get pretty uppity at times.

So what would you charge to remake your $99 crowns?

50 cents?Rofl

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Wunnnnn...million dollars.;)!

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
So if I get this right by reading through the posts it's a resounding " there are no such thing as a reset"; only newsets. :) Perhaps the same should be applied to C&B remakes I guess. This term/concept was probably introduced by a doc who did not want to pay for the rework (his error). :cool:
This is a tricky question, an aesthetic adjustment is commonalty adjusted for no or delivery charge: lets call an aesthetic adjustment a slight mid-line correction, twist a tooth in wax, or move buccally, lingual or apically.
If a lab wants to take responsibility for the DDS inability to find a bite: some will do 1 articulation and realign teeth to that new occlusion record.(bite) at no charge. It is a call DDS by DDS, if you get a DDS that cannot take a bite CHARGE!
As this was for removable s and is about adjustments in wax, not remakes.
Although as C&B at one time had a much greater profit per line item I thought remakes had been built into the expected price. FWIW.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Ajel, I firmly believe that any tweaking of the prosthetic teeth at try-in should be accomplished by the DDS. When a lab provides a wax rim it's not just for the bite. Docs need to recontour the rims if necessary for labial support as this would indicate labio linguo position. On the rims should be marks that indicate (1) midline (2) high lipline (3) canine position...At minimum. Being military trained I'm positive you know an occlilusal rim is not just a horshoe wax rim attached to a piece of acrylic or LC material for the BP. And I'm sure you've seen these many times. If the doc dont use the rim properly its not our fault. We can however educate him/her accordingly. I have never had to do a reset for a prosthodontist. However, quite a few for GPs. The difference? A prosthodontist would take the time to provide you with the necessary information on the rim for a successful set up. At most I've had to recontour the wax(touch-up) after a tryin prior to processing. If a new bite was necessary they would at minimum reset the anterior six clinically and provide a new bite with some or all of the posterior teeth removed. Reset fee charged accordingly. If we have clients who don't or won't provide us the necessary information and we continue to do resets or aesthetic adjustments because it'll cost them "their chairtime"; then shouldn't we also be compensated for our lab "chairtime". After all the doc is still saving $ by not doing it himself clinically. Even better bargain....... when we do it for free.

PS,: A wrong (missed) shade for a complete denture is completely absurd. How does that happen....rhetoric....

Last edited:
AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Ive noticed the younger DDS seems to be the least trained in removable. I noticed schools removed requirement for DDS to make their own removable at same time they replaced the ethics course with financial planning. out of 6 new DDS this year I have only kept doing work for 1, just don't feel like arguing with the ego. I've been doing this longer than some have been alive. I generally charge reset with rearticulation. read the thread most list they reset free. Dwaxer I construct a processed baseplate with a setupwax rim formed with thin anterior and thick posterior, I supply a papilla meter and instruct the DDS in its use, I had one ofice request more papilla metrs turns out the girls thought they were disposable. I'm a Swisident tech, Also Army, &Triton & Loyola University training.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Ajel, I firmly believe that any tweaking of the prosthetic teeth at try-in should be accomplished by the DDS. When a lab provides a wax rim it's not just for the bite. Docs need to recontour the rims if necessary for labial support as this would indicate labio linguo position. On the rims should be marks that indicate (1) midline (2) high lipline (3) canine position...At minimum. Being military trained I'm positive you know an occlilusal rim is not just a horshoe wax rim attached to a piece of acrylic or LC material for the BP. And I'm sure you've seen these many times. If the doc dont use the rim properly its not our fault. We can however educate him/her accordingly. I have never had to do a reset for a prosthodontist. However, quite a few for GPs. The difference? A prosthodontist would take the time to provide you with the necessary information on the rim for a successful set up. At most I've had to recontour the wax(touch-up) after a tryin prior to processing. If a new bite was necessary they would at minimum reset the anterior six clinically and provide a new bite with some or all of the posterior teeth removed. Reset fee charged accordingly. If we have clients who don't or won't provide us the necessary information and we continue to do resets or aesthetic adjustments because it'll cost them "their chairtime"; then shouldn't we also be compensated for our lab "chairtime". After all the doc is still saving $ by not doing it himself clinically. Even better bargain....... when we do it for free.

PS,: A wrong (missed) shade for a complete denture is completely absurd. How does that happen....rhetoric....
You're preaching to the choir, and I couldn't agree more; my recent traverse through the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune have led me to employment in a smallish (<20) production lab herein the owner doesn't charge for remaking anything....
The kindest thing I can say is no lessons are ever learned, and no problems ever solved. But loads of shame and blame.
Frankly, it's bull****, and no way to run a business.
tip

Top Bottom