e.max blue block buildup

A

Acrylic Innovation

Reaction score
so, i had to do some experimenting with buildup on e.max cad

on the initial sinter, ceram just melt and glass out, so i started looking around the lab for a porcelain with the same fire temp

i started using d.sign to do an innitial add on or even incisal buildup on blue blocks, and found that it works frigging awsome! just run it under the same sintering program you've been using.
use ceram on subsequint buildups and refire under layering program for e.max

also, i use flo on all of my CZR, BruxZirs and e.max press/ Cad
there is no difference using the CAD glaze

try it.... going to make some big tabs next week and see it i can get it to fracture and separate

C

charles007

Reaction score
No comment other than is this an experiment to see when the cracks start appearing.

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
You guys are showing way too much restraint.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score

on the initial sinter, ceram just melt and glass out, so i started looking around the lab for a porcelain with the same fire temp

i started using d.sign to do an innitial add on or even incisal buildup on blue blocks, and found that it works frigging awsome! just run it under the same sintering program you've been using.

try it.... going to make some big tabs next week and see it i can get it to fracture and separate

Am I misunderstanding this? Are you building up your porcelain and then firing the whole thing on the blue block sinter firing?

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score

Why?
surely you have time to crystalise then build up?

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
My head hurts after reading this. But thanks OP for making me feel like a genius.

GAP

GAP

Reaction score
I seem to remember an article in idt or jdt about an in-house lab knocking out a 6-unit smile design same day and using zirliner(?) as a first mirco layer before sintering -- maybe that would be better than d.sign

A

Acrylic Innovation

Reaction score
yea, i figured this would throw a bunch of comments... most techs wont read instructions, turn on the water in their high speed, cover their wax... whatever!

crap... step out of the box and get bent over about it? K :)

it actually works quite well, but if you don't want to try it... don't

So... why are so many labs using ceram on zirconia? when czr works so much better (in my opinion).... is it because the CTE is the same? yes (atleast i've heard) any thought to chemical or mechanical bonding of ceram on zirconia?

i'm quite sure i'll be corrected here too

skdawl

skdawl

Reaction score
:eek: umm why the experiment when protocol is so much easier...

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
yea, i figured this would throw a bunch of comments... most techs wont read instructions, turn on the water in their high speed, cover their wax... whatever!

crap... step out of the box and get bent over about it? K :)

it actually works quite well, but if you don't want to try it... don't

So... why are so many labs using ceram on zirconia? when czr works so much better (in my opinion).... is it because the CTE is the same? yes (atleast i've heard) any thought to chemical or mechanical bonding of ceram on zirconia?

i'm quite sure i'll be corrected here too

Bent over about it? I'd say most participants on this forum were pretty easy on you.
Thinking outside of the box and experimenting is great, it inspires ideas and new directions. Just because the firing temperarures are close doesn't mean squat. The CTE of d.Sign and e.Max are too far apart for this idea to have any predictable long term success. Hopefully you're not putting these out in production.

e.Max ceram was engineered to work in the CTE range of Zr, that's probably why some people use it. There is no chemical bond between porcelain and Zr it's purely mechanical. CZR has been shown to have the most fracture toughness on Zr frameworks, but seeing how I already have 2 different full porcelain kits for Zr I don't see the point of having 3.

Your opinion is valid and if you prefer CZR use it and master it.

I'm one of those losers that reads the directions.:cool: