SUM3D issue

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Sum3d is using a licensed third party library for the 5 axis calculations...

MikeW

MikeW

Reaction score
The last strategies I ran were a 5 axis utilizing a 2mm, 1mm and .6mm. I do not have exact specs at the moment, but I was running the 3+ghz AMD 8 core with 32gigs of ram and a Radeon 7970 card.

Not the phenom CPU but the newer pile driver

I can't speak to that high spec of an AMD machine - I can definitely say we'll never use all that RAM - don't think you went a bit overboard there?
7970 Graphics Card is also overkill - that's a great gamer graphics card but un-necessary for use with our CAM. Perhaps if we utilized the GPU for calculations but not to my knowledge.

I'm speaking mostly from my experiences but I can install SUM3D on one of my 2 year old laptops and pit it against my home desktop AMD on the same calculation when I get done traveling over the next month - just to get a better idea. Pound for pound, I've always found that the software functions more smoothly and processes toolpaths much quicker on Intel platforms. The reason I recommend Nvidia graphics rather than AMD (formerly ATI) is because back when I was a reseller of SUM3D, we would always get random artifacts with AMD GPUs - as soon as we swapped out to Nvidia, this solved all of these random GUI issues that were coming up. At first we thought it was a faulty Graphics card but after about 3-4 graphics issues, we swapped out to Nvidia and said goodbye to those issues.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Where'd you hear that?
Grab a hex-viewer and look into the code...check who's the author ( everybody pretty much copyrights their own work :))...that is not Sum3D development...same is true for the simulation module and some other stuff too....quite a few CAM software out there share the very same library set BTW...;)

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Mike, never heard anyone complain about overkill in the computer world:) if that's the case it should be blazing fast then;)

MikeW

MikeW

Reaction score
Mike, never heard anyone complain about overkill in the computer world:) if that's the case it should be blazing fast then;)

I'm not complaining - I'm just stating that unless the upgrades were free or very close in price, they're a waste for the application that we're discussing. The same concept can apply to just about anything else. Its like dropping 1000hp into a mazda miata. It's just going to spin wheels. What it boils down to is practicality. Unless you're planning on working with huge 3D files like can be found in the industrial sector or doing CAD on the same station, dental files are not currently going to utilize that much RAM - maybe it will in quite a few years from now - but your computer will be at least 3-5 years old or older by that time. The .STL Files are tiny by comparison to some 3D files that can reach up to GBs each in size. That is really the only reason to buy that much ram. If you're just building a PC for SUM3D - paying extra for the 32GB is as I stated overkill.

The GPU is not used for computations at this time so having a graphics card that has a large amount of dedicated RAM or higher frequency GPU is also overkill.
You could have easily bought a $150 GT card compared to the $250 or more depending on when you bought it for the 7XXX series - you would have seen the same performance.

The same principles apply with any other program out there - if its unnecessary or the program is not developed to take advantage of those additional specs, what's the point?
Sure you can say you spend $3000 on your CAM workstation but at the end of the day I bet my i7 Laptop can process a run faster. ;)

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
First check the windows version the processor version the sum3d version and the update version.
and see if they are all compatible (64 bit or 32 bit).
i don't have sum3d but i got a real problems when the version of the software is different of windows
that is specially true when the software is a 3d software.
if the software version is 64 bit, and the windows version is 32 bit then the program will usually refuse to install or if installed may not work at all (as i said before specially the 3d software).

old versions are mostly 32 bit and they should work fine with older computers.

If you find all the software including windows and the processor are compatible then you might consider to contact sum3d directly and ask for support they should have the best answer for your problem of the version of your software.

best wishes

MikeW

MikeW

Reaction score
Grab a hex-viewer and look into the code...check who's the author ( everybody pretty much copyrights their own work :))...that is not Sum3D development...same is true for the simulation module and some other stuff too....quite a few CAM software out there share the very same library set BTW...;)

Hi Zero - Just to follow up with this comment.

I just received confirmation from the home office: Anything dental is using our own in-house library. SUM3D encompasses many different modules on the industrial side - some of which are 3rd party libraries - none of which are used for our dental modules. SUM3D Dental was only an adaptation of the industrial software and this is why you're seeing that information.

MikeW

MikeW

Reaction score
First check the windows version the processor version the sum3d version and the update version.
and see if they are all compatible (64 bit or 32 bit).
i don't have sum3d but i got a real problems when the version of the software is different of windows
that is specially true when the software is a 3d software.
if the software version is 64 bit, and the windows version is 32 bit then the program will usually refuse to install or if installed may not work at all (as i said before specially the 3d software).

old versions are mostly 32 bit and they should work fine with older computers.

If you find all the software including windows and the processor are compatible then you might consider to contact sum3d directly and ask for support they should have the best answer for your problem of the version of your software.

best wishes
SUM3D installs as 32-Bit - there are components that can utilize 64-bit that can run as well but only when activated - So this would mean that they would need to be in test mode and have that feature turned on to utilize it. All Updates are the same - will work with 32-bit or 64-bit Operating Systems.

EGE

EGE

Reaction score
would you like to test another CAM software on your same hardware ?

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
would you like to test another CAM software on your same hardware ?

Maybe some work on your homepage tech. spec. which post is basic, pictures of samples and geometrie of the parts pain in my eyes it looks like sorry nursery school their are so many good pictures in magazins and advertising from real good dental stuff but sorry its like making a Hollywood blockbuster with a i phone 1 . If you want to play in a esthetic's visual business the outfit is basic.

EGE

EGE

Reaction score
Hi Cadfan, seems you don't like the picts on our website. Indeed, we strive to make the best CAM software and spend less time trying to convince by pictures, we prefer to proove by real machining.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
Hi Cadfan, seems you don't like the picts on our website. Indeed, we strive to make the best CAM software and spend less time trying to convince by pictures, we prefer to proove by real machining.

you can try it with a 3 month trial ill think for french cad man too than we tell you if your the master of 4 and 5 ax milling.

Last edited:
EGE

EGE

Reaction score
Test it and if its worth, you can buy it. Contact us for the test licence.

EGE

EGE

Reaction score
So I recently got the updated 2014 version of SUM3D, I'm not loving it as much as the older version I had before. It is taking a really long time to process a job. I thought it might be my pc, so I went out and bought a new one(needed to anyway old one was a Intel Duo with 2G of Ram) now I have the AMD A8 with 8G of Ram. Why is this taking so long to process a job? Anybody else experiencing this problem?
Tell me if you want to test another CAM software, this way you can know wehter the problem is Hard or soft.

Top Bottom