Impression Miterial

Thedentureman

Thedentureman

Reaction score
Still love my rubber base. Just wondering what you are using?

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
PVS...Virtual or Aquasil...I like the Aquasil because I can see the layers coverage easier and I think it flows a bit better. the Virtual is kind of gooey but don't have to rip it off and start fresh with each layer....Easier to correct. I will be giving some others a try due to economics....Thinking of trying Genie....If there are some deep undercuts will still go with an alginate called Hydrogum 5. Also using hydrogum 5 for rpd finals because of the detail it captures with a good custom tray. Take care and keep well....D

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
I use virtual and I get good results. I tried aquasil and I liked it at first. I can't remember why I quit using it, but it is an addition reaction silicone, not a pvs. So it might have been that the adhesive stinks to much or something like that.
If you like Hydrogum 5, you might like the neocolloid stuff. It is also from Zermack, but it has better detail.
My all time favourite impression material is accugel. The system 2 takes fantastic impression for partials, and the system one often takes e dentulous impressions that cannot be improved upon with final impressions trays when there are large bulbous ridges.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I use virtual and I get good results. I tried aquasil and I liked it at first. I can't remember why I quit using it, but it is an addition reaction silicone, not a pvs. So it might have been that the adhesive stinks to much or something like that.
If you like Hydrogum 5, you might like the neocolloid stuff. It is also from Zermack, but it has better detail.
My all time favourite impression material is accugel. The system 2 takes fantastic impression for partials, and the system one often takes e dentulous impressions that cannot be improved upon with final impressions trays when there are large bulbous ridges.
Agreed accugel system is a good system..bought a full set of trays one set of each type...I will keep neocolloid in mind....I am going to try tropicalgin soon. I did a hydrogum 5 secondary alginate impression and they almost let me use it for finals...school protocol you know....have you ever used those asa edentulous trays with the border lock on outside of the flange? I have also purchased a nice polycarbonate try system from ASA which mimics the Massad trays except they are non adjustable...They are supposed to be good for either alginate or pvs. Will try on a few patients soon....

Thedentureman

Thedentureman

Reaction score
Lets see some pictures. Im taking some finals on Monday. Ill post some pictures. You do the same.

highscore

highscore

Reaction score
Impregum. I won't work with PV any more. It's just not my preference. But, hey whatever floats your boat

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Lately I have been exposed to Coltex. It is a mix it yourself by Coltene. Some denturists up here swear by it...But the best material is the one you can control and learn to use successfully...In school I used Aqusil and in practicum I used Virtual....I will be trying several other moderatly priced brands in th enear future. Sultan's Genie comes to mind. For prelims I will use Zhermacks Hydrogum 5 because of its stability and really good reproduction....Anyway whatever you settle with all the power to you...

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I will start using the neocolloid injected with a hydrogum or tropicalgin base....Ill let you know how that turns out because it just might be the good replacement for the accugel.

E

Esther_101

Reaction score
Love Genie. We buy it in bulk and works out to about $11 per cartridge. As for alginate I have been using Identic. Have not had a casting missfit since.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Okay I thought I would followup on the hydrogum-5 with neocolloid,, It works quite well and along with tropicalgin instead of hydrogum 5 to me seems like a good substitute for the ivoclar accu gel alginates...The Tropicalgin is a bit stiffer mix kind of like the try a material accu-tray...Really good reproduction and no delamination occured on five cases for preliminary impressions...As smilestyler said it does a good job at reproduction of anatomy in dentate cases so I will start using it on RPD caseworks....Good holding time for the neocolloid at four minutes so easy to inject and it flows really nicely.....At $24.00 a pound it seems like a good substitute for the accu-gel alginates at a fraction of the cost....Also using plastogum for bite registrations with a pin tracer and as well using alluwax for partial and single denture bite registrations and that works out very well...Not mushy bites like the silicone bite registrations....The accu gel and accu tray packages run around $3.00 each so not too bad for the substitute which can buy 2 pounds for the same price....roughly 9.00 for a single accudent impression using 3 packets of alginate...
So not to compare apples with oranges here but hey it is good to know what we can do if our supplies of one or the other take their sweet time in arriving.

Also finding Genie not as user friendly but I can manage it okay...Similar price is the Elite brand of silicone pvs impression materials which I have used as well....I may submit a photo soon.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I might still be inclined to do a custom tray with a 3mm spacer for an alginate final imression....I have had a few lock on to mandibular undercuts using pvs...

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I am toying with the idea of doing uppers in silicon pvs and doing the lowers using a functional impression. COE Comfort is one I have been using quite a bit as a functional impression material. I will do a functional impression and then reline with easysoft or molloplast...But the Coe comfort is giving really good detail and as a functional impression material is well tollerated by patients over say a TEMPO which leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. I have also been using Hydrocast using a technique called branching and using a modified Trubyfill technique that is working out very well. ...But like anything in this business technique is important. The COE comfort sets up in about thirty seconds and in about twenty minutes you have a fully functional impression. I have also used Coe Soft because it picks up really nice detail. Cheers....DD

budgenator

budgenator

Reaction score
We've been taking Preliminary impressions with Alginate in stock perf trays, then I construct Permanant denture bases for the vod. If the retention is good it all good, if it's less than satisfactory, we use rubber base (permalastic reg) as an impression and reline after finish. If the Pt admits to using denture adhesive at the initial consultation then they get a tissue conditioner put into their existing prior to prelim impressions and if they say something like "Place X, couldn't get it right and finally said that was all they could do for me" then we just assume it'll be a functional impression with hydro cast instead of rubber-base impression.

We've tried Alginot, and I just wasn't impressed with the results (way too many pulls and voids),Kromopan100 stays stable for 100 hrs so why mess around with more expensive materials that yield inferior results? I wish Kromopan100 came in regular set.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
We've been taking Preliminary impressions with Alginate in stock perf trays, then I construct Permanant denture bases for the vod. If the retention is good it all good, if it's less than satisfactory, we use rubber base (permalastic reg) as an impression and reline after finish. If the Pt admits to using denture adhesive at the initial consultation then they get a tissue conditioner put into their existing prior to prelim impressions and if they say something like "Place X, couldn't get it right and finally said that was all they could do for me" then we just assume it'll be a functional impression with hydro cast instead of rubber-base impression.

We've tried Alginot, and I just wasn't impressed with the results (way too many pulls and voids),Kromopan100 stays stable for 100 hrs so why mess around with more expensive materials that yield inferior results? I wish Kromopan100 came in regular set.
Big fan of Kromopan.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score

I will do something similar. I will take preliminary impressions using hydrogum 5 and if necessary take a secondary impression using the longer setting neocolloid....Then do a putty bite registration witht eh patient looking up at the cieling and at the same vertiacal as thier original dentures....I will also take impressions of thier existing dentures both outside and inside and make stone models of them for reference...a wealth of information there....On the second appointment I will do border molded impressions in silicon in a custom tray with a pin tracer and upper anterior bite rim..and register that with plastogum.....I will capture a facebow reading with that....Provided I have no interferences I will proceded to the pour-up using box and beading with the silicon impression on a lght cured baseplate...From there it goes to full new baseplate with light cure and then do a full setup in wax...which I try in and do a tissue condiitoner such as coe soft or co comfort and or hydrocast with a microseal base reline as a functional reline on the third appointment....Provided the patient likes what they see, I will process it just like that....via a Ivobase processed denture....rarely have any adjustments or sore spots...and I mean rarely.....