Reaction score
Taking my practical in a month (may 9)
any input appreciated!
Andy

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Good Luck.
I sure hope you can wax, cast and finish a 3 unit metal framework and finish a metal inlay you brought with you attached to a button.
Sounds really really difficult.
not.

you'll be fine. Just get your ring into a burnout oven before anyone else so your not waiting around for a bunch of fools that don't know the difference between red and green hoses...

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
youll be fine. Bring your own soldering torch!.. in fact bring as much as you can of your own. nothing like being in a new place with new equipment. I passed mine first time, and at the time, I wasnt a waxer/metal tech... I just practiced for a few weeks before and it was fine.. just do your best and dont be nervous about it.. despite the money your putting up!

A

Acrylic Innovation

Reaction score
Ty Affinity
the test is at the school i just graduated from, so i'll be fine using all the equipment there... no problems with that at all
Andy

Z

ztech

Reaction score
One thing that is important, Make sure each step is done as well as you can even if some of the last items are not completed. The grading rewards accuracy more than speed. That being said. Most finish with ample time to spare. A couple of practice runs through the test will get you well prepared. Also take great care with the preliminary work. Poorly done model work does not bode well.

jlee24219

jlee24219

Reaction score
Good Luck.
I sure hope you can wax, cast and finish a 3 unit metal framework and finish a metal inlay you brought with you attached to a button.
Sounds really really difficult.
not.

you'll be fine. Just get your ring into a burnout oven before anyone else so your not waiting around for a bunch of fools that don't know the difference between red and green hoses...

I don't think you have to cast the bridge at the site. You wax and cast a sectioned bridge to bring with you, then solder it the day of, and polish that. You have to wax the same bridge that day though.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I don't think you have to cast the bridge at the site. You wax and cast a sectioned bridge to bring with you, then solder it the day of, and polish that. You have to wax the same bridge that day though.
Even easier. Probably a safety thing... You cant have a bunch of RG's sparking at propane hoses cause someone might get a wee lil burn.

A

Acrylic Innovation

Reaction score
Oh, this is true...
I've done all my casting for the last two years... and have tried to teach others. Even the instructors caused me a little concern! Golden shower has a totally "other" meaning.... although im not sure which one i would consider "less" pleasant.

Waxing up a bridge, no prob there
Andy

Last edited:
A

Acrylic Innovation

Reaction score
Ty Ztech..
my model work is "top notch" so i'll make sure it spot on
Andy

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
i think i got a 98.9% on my practical and was the first one done. its not hard, just get the stuff done prior to getting there as accurately as possible. the rest is cake.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Today at Lab Day East I finished my C&B test before anyone else. I counted up the answers I was unsure of. I only got 10 wrong. Win!

doug

doug

Reaction score
I took it so long ago, 1980, that I've forgotten a lot of what we did then as far as what was required. My advice is to make sure all of your stuff is collected together, in good working order, and keep everything clean.

A

Acrylic Innovation

Reaction score
no on the bandaids... superduperglue.. with some accelerator to enhance the burn

N

number1

Reaction score
I would recommend bringing your own supplies for cleaning models/crowns etc. Also, have someone read every sentence of the instructions while you are checking the preliminary work. I am a mom......make sure you eat a good breakfast. Good luck!

wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
this may sound really silly, but when I took the practical I dressed for how my lab was: hot, the testing lab had air conditioning turned down too low IMO, and i was covered with goose bumps

I'm sure we all have a funny tale to tell . . . . .

A

Acrylic Innovation

Reaction score
well, that seals my idea to show up neked