new to denture carving

T

twaite

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm a newbie denturist. I'm getting my tooth setting and faster and better everyday now I need to improve my carving. Any pointers for carving a nice denture so it doesn't look so plain.

t

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
Don't carve. Wax it up how you want it to look. Or at least get it close and then touch it up with the carver. Your hands will thank you. Whip mix has a free webinar about waxing on their website that is good for beginners. You will find plenty of tips and tricks in that webinar.

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
Don't carve. Wax it up how you want it to look. Or at least get it close and then touch it up with the carver. Your hands will thank you. Whip mix has a free webinar about waxing on their website that is good for beginners. You will find plenty of tips and tricks in that webinar.

Thank you..

Denturist

Denturist

Reaction score
Are you a denturist or a lab tech?

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
There was a guy down here in Texas that was teaching denture waxing classes. He's probably still doing this but I haven't checked lately. The name is on the tip of my tongue, maybe someone could help me remember :) I wax them to where all I have to do is trim the borders and polish.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Nice Video, remember doing that brush in a production lab. I usually only put about as much wax on as I need and use an akers Akers Knife - Complete [43310] - $10.50 : Dental Lab Supplies and Equipment | Orthodontic Product Supply, The Art of E-commerce with a vinyl tube to thicken the handle or sometimes a plaster buffalo green #6 http://www.buffalodental.com/Catalog/Catalog.pdf if my hands R sore. i believe I took Mays class at the Chicago show a long time ago, I think he is a waxsheet & finger shape guy with akers trimming to shape.
Teresa Anything U shape with a brush or knife U won't have to shape with a bur latter. Although I do double my border just so to reduce a crack when removing a denture from the model. The wax to become the acrylic is to replace lost structure & hold the teeth in place & U should think about how much the big old tongue is being crowded and displaced. Or if the lip will be monkey pushed in an unnatural manner, are part of shaping the face as well as helping to eat, & speak.

Last edited:
AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Teresa might not have thought Nicole was a lady name, she hasn't talked with you.

D

dtwales

Reaction score
That technique seems to take longer than carving.

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
i like to handle the wax as if it were play-doe. putting on just what i need and no more.
keeping all carving to a minimum.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
take a look at the Swissedent stuff from PTC.

Thats i how learnt many years back.

T

twaite

Reaction score
Hi William, I am a Denturist. I was just reading one of your past post. Like you I'm also using accudent and doing myostatic tracing.

D

DentureRepair

Reaction score
hi, There aren't a lot of options for keeping them fresh and sanitized like you can use Arm & Hammer Baking Soda., Clorox Bleach in fact through this, You can whiten up yellow teeth with bleach. Mix one teaspoon of Clorox with a glass of cold water. Soak your dentures for ten minutes and then brush as usual. so it will be easier to get them clean.

DentureDude

DentureDude

trained monkey
Reaction score
Sticky tape , eccentric polished carbide bur and creativity. Stipple and shape away. Dont use old toothbrushes

im sorry brother but i cant tell if this is for real or if your joking?

if not joking .. could you elaborate a little on your technique? Sticky tape?

i love to learn something new whenever i can.