Scanning Metal hinge articulator with 3shape

D

Drew

Reaction score
We have been scanning for a while now and constantly run into this same issue. For most cases we mount on a plastic vertex articulator, which works fine for scanning. Some cases need to be mounted on a metal hinge type articulator which seems to be too big to fit in our scanner. Currently our solution is to gently knock the case off, after making a silicone matrix to hold the case in the proper bite relationship during scanning. After scanning we glue the case back on the articulator using our matrix and the bite as reference.

We use a 3shape D800 and D700.

Does anyone have a better solution or suggestion for scanning cases mounted on a metal articulator?

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

Reaction score
Drew what I do is I have the model dept mount the case with magnets underneath the base, and when the bite scan part comes. I hot glue the bite in place while still mounted with the metal articulator in. to dry and harden the glue use some freeze spray once it drys in matter of seconds you can pull the prep and opposing off easy. This helps for stratos mounted cases too. hope this helps

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Remove the scanner door. Place something in the switch so the scanner thinks its closed. Cover the scanner with a box and or black sheet. :)
Or continue to break and reglue....]

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
We just use the exaflex putty to make a bite index and scan the bite index, problem solved! :D

Adigitalsmile

Adigitalsmile

Reaction score
For our brass articulators cases like that we take the bite while its still mounted. Then for the model scan I just use a solid model for it and then use the seperate dies for the prep scan.

Adolfo

Adolfo

Reaction score
I have the solution.
I change your scaner for my D250.

An elephant can put if it wants...

;)

doug

doug

Reaction score
Why not do your scanning before you have the case mounted? just a thought. That's what I've been doing

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Cut a few key way notches in the bottom of the stone model. Easy to line back up to the plaster.

I do the case on a monotrac base and then mount to a brass or hanau articulator using the removable magnet base. Monotrac sticks to the putty mounts in scanners great as well.

D

Drew

Reaction score
Drew what I do is I have the model dept mount the case with magnets underneath the base, and when the bite scan part comes. I hot glue the bite in place while still mounted with the metal articulator in. to dry and harden the glue use some freeze spray once it drys in matter of seconds you can pull the prep and opposing off easy. This helps for stratos mounted cases too. hope this helps

I like the idea of magnets. What kind of magnets? Do you know of a certain product?

We use the magnetic mounts with our stratos too. Sometimes with the model will be too tall to scan with the magnetic plate and plaster on it. Do you ever have that problem?

D

Drew

Reaction score
Cut a few key way notches in the bottom of the stone model. Easy to line back up to the plaster.

I do the case on a monotrac base and then mount to a brass or hanau articulator using the removable magnet base. Monotrac sticks to the putty mounts in scanners great as well.

Good idea. I like the monotrac base. I will look into that.

D

Drew

Reaction score
Why not do your scanning before you have the case mounted? just a thought. That's what I've been doing

We have been mounting with a vertex for scanning then transfer to hard articulator after.

D

Drew

Reaction score
For our brass articulators cases like that we take the bite while its still mounted. Then for the model scan I just use a solid model for it and then use the seperate dies for the prep scan.

That's a good idea to use the solid model. For the bite, do you select antagonist bite instead of scanning the opposing model?

D

Drew

Reaction score
Remove the scanner door. Place something in the switch so the scanner thinks its closed. Cover the scanner with a box and or black sheet. :)

NICE. I like this! Does this really work?

D

Drew

Reaction score
Newer is not always better in all aspects i guess...

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Lego blocks.

Cheaper than magnets, and don't spin or slide.

4x4 blocks embedded into model base.

Have a nice weekend! See y'all soon.

legos.jpg

Cbite Dental Products

Cbite Dental Products

Reaction score
Lego blocks.

Cheaper than magnets, and don't spin or slide.

4x4 blocks embedded into model base.

Have a nice weekend! See y'all soon.

legos.jpg

Never tried this technique...but sounds like it will work...cool!

Cbite Dental Products

Cbite Dental Products

Reaction score

Have done this to make videos...of the scanning process...works.