One step dentures

Joseph Minuk

Joseph Minuk

Reaction score
Today 08:12 PM - permalinkJoseph Minuk
Would anyone have any "experience or comments" of Larell One Step Dentures? This product may be used as an affordable alternative for those edentulous people that can not afford conventional dentures.

Ajels

Ajels

Reaction score
Is this a denture shaped custom tray that a DDS relines to avoid the 10% lab portion of the patient fee? How could a preshaped ever fit the ridge, or an opposing natural dentition?

jimi

jimi

Reaction score
have you heard the one about the octogenarian who brought her deceased spouse's denture into the clinic and wanted it 'fitted' for her use?

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
have you heard the one about the octogenarian who brought her deceased spouse's denture into the clinic and wanted it 'fitted' for her use?

Awwe, come on man, I'm eating over here!!!! Seriously?...I hope the DDS sent her to a shrink.

T

TECHARTISAN

Reaction score
I had a reline client once...upper denture opposing nothing. After the model was poured and the denture pulled off I noticed the archform was pretty seriously off from the setup. It just didnt look at all right. I showed it to our dentist, he agreed it was odd. But since it opposed nothing....being strictly a "vanity plate"....we assumed the patient had simply been one of those very difficult patients that had driven some other doctor crazy trying to get his smile "just the way he remembered it.

At delivery that afternoon he put it in....breathed a sigh of relief, "oh that feels much better" turned to his wife and smiled....
She replied "You look better with em then Ernie did"

yep dead brother dentures......

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
NOOOOOOOOOO

You guys are killing me....please say that wasn't a true story....please!!!!

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
It's a new service called.......drumroll please!!!......retreads

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
When I was in dental school (early 70's) I worked part time at a nursing home, I started putting names in the dentures when a patient came up to me crying. She said my teeff my teeff, then she pointed down the hall at another elder woman and said she smiled at me with my teeff. Guess some things never change.

Last edited:
droberts

droberts

Reaction score
I had a reline client once...upper denture opposing nothing. After the model was poured and the denture pulled off I noticed the archform was pretty seriously off from the setup. It just didnt look at all right. I showed it to our dentist, he agreed it was odd. But since it opposed nothing....being strictly a "vanity plate"....we assumed the patient had simply been one of those very difficult patients that had driven some other doctor crazy trying to get his smile "just the way he remembered it.

At delivery that afternoon he put it in....breathed a sigh of relief, "oh that feels much better" turned to his wife and smiled....
She replied "You look better with em then Ernie did"

yep dead brother dentures......

I believe the correct word for that would be " Recycling "

drm313mac

drm313mac

Reaction score
Today 08:12 PM - permalinkJoseph Minuk
Would anyone have any "experience or comments" of Larell One Step Dentures? This product may be used as an affordable alternative for those edentulous people that can not afford conventional dentures.

Joseph,

The Larell One Step Dentures are a prefab system, and I have no idea where they are made or the quality of the materials.

The system is basically a "boil-n-bite" system. The dentist measures the arch(s),the pre-fab size is selected. It is then heated (in hot water) then inserted. While it is still hot the rims are molded to the patient's arch. The denture is then relined to fit.

Prosthodontics teaches us that no amount of relines can correct a seriously incorrect bite, and so this denture seldom functions correctly. IF everyone were the same this would work.

Hope that helped you to understand the premise.

These are often sold as a temporary denture. The nearest distributor to me here in VA is Dr. Alouf in Salem VA. He sells them (to dentists) for $175 per plate. I have no idea what he sells to the customer for. Here is the e-mail he sent me:

Dear Dr. McGuire,

I am the regional distributor for Larell Dentures. I received your phone message and I am sorry for the delay in responding to you. The Larell denture templates are sold at a cost of $175.oo an arch. This translates to a cost of 360.00 per set including reline materials.

I hope this answers your questions. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further needs.

Respectfully,

Stephen B. Alouf DDS
Alouf Aesthetic Dentistry
1616 Apperson Drive
Salem, Virginia 24153

540-375-0095
540-375-0097 Fax
aloufaesthetics.com

T

TECHARTISAN

Reaction score
Larell One Step Dentures?
The Larell denture templates are sold at a cost of $175.oo an arch. This translates to a cost of 360.00 per set including reline materials.

This information if accurate places this concept at a higher material cost than an "Affordable Denture" economy set's out the door price....invalidating the OP belief that...
This product may be used as an affordable alternative for those edentulous people that can not afford conventional dentures.

jimi

jimi

Reaction score
maybe it is affordable, because that cost includes a temporary base with moldable flanges and teeth (correct?) which brings the cost close to the cost of teeth alone. Further cost saving come in time and labout savings. Quality is another issue. But for some clinics who offer implant placement and denture in one day, it maybe a good temporary denture until osseointegration.

drm313mac

drm313mac

Reaction score
@ $175 per arch to the dentist, and that dentist then selling these to the patient @ $400 plus, these then cost twice what Affordable charges for their economy junk.

Jimi, another alternative is the CT scanned and milled OneDenture. Here the dentist makes impressions in a special tray, then sends this in to OneDenture. They in turn scan the impression, mill a Lucitone-199 block, insert teeth, then send the completed case to the dentist for insertion.

While I am a believer in the try-in appointment(s),they say this denture fits well. The acrylic is Lucitone processed under thermal (not thermoplastic) conditions and high pressure, and I do not know the quality of the teeth.

The final cost from OneDenture is $250, though I can get it for $199 (Dental Town membership),and extra tint say around the cervicals is more.

Therefore, comparing the Larell pre-fab that will not function correctly, at $175 for the dentist,
OR
OneDenture, custom milled to the specific arch, @ $199,
I would choose the OneDenture IF I were to choose either of these. Personally, I am a believer in better quality acrylic, teeth, of my impression technique, of wax try ins.

As lab techs most of you have a different perspective than I will have even if our conclusions are the same. My professional opinion as a dentist:
1. The dentures from Affordable are basically junk that I will advise people not to waste their hard-earned dollars on.
2. The Larell denture is more expensive to the customer than Affordable, yet fits about the same as that of Affordable, meaning, it is junk.
3. The OneDenture I will withhold an opinion until I have seen it in clinical usage. I know it will fit perfectly, but I do not know that the bite or function will be correct. The materials quality is less than what I will use in my cheapest denture.

Joseph Minuk; Do you not have a vested interest in this company, in this denture? If so, are you not then advertising your product, contrary to the terms of the forums? Pardon me if I am mistaken.

Dr. David McGuire

Joseph Minuk

Joseph Minuk

Reaction score
Dr. David McGuire, yes you are mistaken...I only asked a question "would anyone have experience or coments of Larell One Step Dentures?" I have never seen or used the product, so I would not have a vested interest in this product or procedure!! My original question was answered...Thank-You Joseph

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
After visiting the websites of all three, IMO the only promising one is the One Denture...I would like to experience the use of the pin tracer and final impression trays in one step...With limited experience, I cannot comment on bypassing the facebow transfer ....I remember seeing some Swissedent cases set up by James Connolly from Vancouver who was a classmate (NAIT Dental Technology 1974) and remarking how good the teeth looked...Also looking forward to learning more about Geneva 2000 and BPS....So much to learn....but even as I turning 60 next year am enjoying every minute of it....Take care gentlemen....DS

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
The BPS system incorporates pin tracers with final impressions and face bow. I have done many times, and it works well. The only disadvantage I find in it is that I like having the aesthetic/phonetic markings and contour on a wax bite rim for my set up. It isn't hard to overcome this.

The Onedenture to me looks like interesting, I like being able to use Vident or Ivoclar teeth, and having gingival toning. With all of their reference to cad/cam I can't find where they state they mill a denture base(?). If they are just a lab trying to expand their marketing area and sacrificing tryins then I'm not convinced. (I might be easily convinced to try it though:confused:2. )

G

Gita

Reaction score
175 USD???? Here u can have a "real" complete denture with good teeth (Ivostar by Ivoclar or Ortolux)@ 60USD...
@50USD u can have with worse teeth (Yamahachi lowest class teeth)....

also @60USD TO PATIENT at goverment supported hospital....

Vazone

Vazone

Reaction score
175 USD???? Here u can have a "real" complete denture with good teeth (Ivostar by Ivoclar or Ortolux)@ 60USD...
@50USD u can have with worse teeth (Yamahachi lowest class teeth)....

also @60USD TO PATIENT at goverment supported hospital....

In Ukraine almost same .. 50-60 for "simple denture" for 100 - with good teeth and modeling... I think that some one can make next day denture for 175 :)