Magnification, lights and eyes

user name

user name

Reaction score
When trimming dies, I usually wear Task vision loops and look through a lighted 5" magnifier. Works good. When I need the extra magnification, I use a LW Scientific binocular microscope with a LED ring light...

My problem is not enough contrast. My solution has been to dim the ring light on the scope and swing the incandescent bulb in my 5" magnifier close to the die but off to the side.

What do you guys do, wear, use to see. Has anyone tried to affix a modified dual-flash type camera light to your microscope, or built a bracket to hold the ring light off to the side, or...?

French Cadman

French Cadman

Reaction score
Great product, I use to control abutments milling and connexion !

J'aime beaucoup !

cheadlemick

cheadlemick

Reaction score
Ive got what paul has times two one for dies and the other for ceramics they are the dogs bollocks!

A

a88nn

Reaction score
I usually use Mantis. But it seems a little bit too fragile for me. Lots of small plastic elements. But it works really good!

Gdentallab

Gdentallab

Reaction score
what magnification is best to use ?

P

paulg100

Reaction score
stereoscopic.

No a Global Surgical Microscope is the dogs bollocks :)

I got a quote before buying the mantis... they started at 10k in the UK..:rolleyes:

bit out of my price range at the moment.

Every bench at IDEA has one. Very nice facilities there.

Last edited:
cheadlemick

cheadlemick

Reaction score
Is that the DLA facility Paul? Ten grand i might wait til the price comes down!

user name

user name

Reaction score
As a Removable guy the OC works well, I can set the led to create a shadow if I need.
O.C. White 62300-4 | ESD-Safe Illuminated Magnifiers
If i need magnification my lazer has a microscope on it.
I have a little aven headband with led light as well.
Aven 26222 | Headband Magnifiers
I mostly like the OC 7" lense it give good light, and shields my eyes from flying acrylic dust & misl grindings.

Thanks for the tip...i just ordered the OC. Not a real whiz-bang, but I like the larger size.

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
I wonder how it is viewing with LED lights. I've got a Dazor 8MR, gives no shadows when looking inside a crown or trimming. Lamps with bulbs on the sides of the mag lens cast shadows into a crown. The 40" has much better reach than the 26" model. In lots of our catalogs also.

"Yet another long series of diversions to avoid responsibility"

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I wonder how it is viewing with LED lights. I've got a Dazor 8MR, gives no shadows when looking inside a crown or trimming. Lamps with bulbs on the sides of the mag lens cast shadows into a crown. The 40" has much better reach than the 26" model. In lots of our catalogs also.

"Yet another long series of diversions to avoid responsibility"

With all the leds on there are no shadows, with one side only there is a shadow helps see non smooth surfaces. I also have a florescent 7" with 38" reach no shadow but that light is bright & has a shield on it. & the daylight color is easy on the old eyes.

Daylight Company U22080 | Illuminated Magnifiers

cheadlemick

cheadlemick

Reaction score
Thought so! Where in Bristol is your lab? My son went to UWE and lived in Bristol for two years!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Here is a new workstation we set up, we recently added these magnifiers they are Waldmann and they are the best I have used. Often times by the end of the day your eyes get tired or the working distance is too short to actually have any practical purpose.

These work pretty sweet.

ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc285_Ziconia_newworkstation.jpg
ai215.photobucket.com_albums_cc285_Ziconia_newworkstation.jpg

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score

With all the leds on there are no shadows, with one side only there is a shadow helps see non smooth surfaces. I also have a florescent 7" with 38" reach no shadow but that light is bright & has a shield on it. & the daylight color is easy on the old eyes.

Daylight Company U22080 | Illuminated Magnifiers

Thanks AJEL, I'll be looking in to that model. The eyes need all the help they can get! :confused:

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
When using the lenses acrylic, powder and smutz gets on them I have been using Brilliantize to keep them clear, clean static free. Acrylic Cleaner
It sais it is not toxic, and works quite nice on glasses & motorcycle shields. I have used it to keep abrasion blaster shields nice as well. Some friends like it on corrian, & marble. just puting out that the best magnifier fails when hard to see thru.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
"I wonder how it is viewing with LED lights"

the mantis has LED lighting, works much better than incandescent's.

I take it your eyes handle those single lens units OK John.

They cause your eyes to bend inwards to focus, which gives alot of people eye strain and headaches including me.

Id always reccomend a stereoscopic unit for extended use. They are more $$ though.

"Thought so! Where in Bristol is your lab? My son went to UWE and lived in Bristol for two years!"

clifton, 5 mins walk from city center.

Last edited:
user name

user name

Reaction score
AJEL...thanks for the tip :O.C. White 62300-4 | ESD-Safe Illuminated Magnifiers

It was a little pricey (I thought) and took a month to arrive, but it sure is nice.

C

Craig T

Reaction score
Firing back up an old thread with a thanks to John for suggesting the Waldmann. I popped for the 3 diopter Omniview and it is fantastic.