A growing number of patients

stevo

stevo

Reaction score
Over the last year or so I have had a growing number of patient wishing to have Full upper and lower clearance when the reaming teeth are in fair to good condition. When you ask why they wish to have the remaining teeth extracted and dentures their answer is often that they have spent a fortune on their teeth with restorative work only to have it fail and they no longer what to though good money after bad. Most of these patient are middle aged.
I am now doing more immediate dentures than I ever have. I was wondering is this a trend other Denturist are experiencing.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Yes, but with implants. All-on-four, teeth in an hour, whatever you want to call it....

Perfect reflection of what the consumer of today wants.

Remember when you dropped off film and got it back in a week? Then a day? Then an hour? Now instantly on your phone?

Faxes? Too slow. Go pick out a movie? No way, order from Netflix. Now Netflix is too slow, so it's available on demand, on line.

Instant gratification. Ugly teeth this morning, new smile tonight.

Last edited:
Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
Are there any here that would have an "all on four" done on themselves or family? My vote is no.

The number of removable cases is steadily climbing and I do a lot of immediate cases. I'm also am selling more dentures and partials with premium teeth than I have in the past.

I was discussing with tech friend that does a lot of "all on four" that he gets more of the patient's dollar with a regular denture than with the all on fours by a long way.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I was discussing with tech friend that does a lot of "all on four" that he gets more of the patient's dollar with a regular denture than with the all on fours by a long way.

Interesting point. I'd have to say with the hours invested,vs the cash it cost for hardware, and how far they can reasonably markup, that in terms of time and cash profit he's probably right.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
Interesting point. I'd have to say with the hours invested,vs the cash it cost for hardware, and how far they can reasonably markup, that in terms of time and cash profit he's probably right.

Seems that the way its done around here the GP stands to the side or is a glorified assistant and makes between 5k and 8k for basically knowing the patient first. The surgeon is fronting the bar so the tech can't make any profit there. Basically what the labs gets here is about 6 to 7 hundred an arch for the denture and 800 bucks for killing a days production being out of the lab.

Looks like we have managed to pull the short end of the stick as usual.

I like dentures and there are millions of them to do and the numbers are growing. The "all on four" is such a small slice of the current pie and the training needed to do it right are just not a place I want aim my production time right now.

I'm at the end of my career and who knows this may be something for those coming up to learn. After all you can't be to smart or have to many people that love you.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
Seems that the way its done around here the GP stands to the side or is a glorified assistant and makes between 5k and 8k for basically knowing the patient first. The surgeon is fronting the bar so the tech can't make any profit there. Basically what the labs gets here is about 6 to 7 hundred an arch for the denture and 800 bucks for killing a days production being out of the lab.

Looks like we have managed to pull the short end of the stick as usual.

I like dentures and there are millions of them to do and the numbers are growing. The "all on four" is such a small slice of the current pie and the training needed to do it right are just not a place I want aim my production time right now.

I'm at the end of my career and who knows this may be something for those coming up to learn. After all you can't be to smart or have to many people that love you.

Wow my thoughts exactly... The labs around here get such a small piece of the "all on four pie" just not worth the time.(For Us) Especially considering the extra liability.

A

Alberta Denturist

Reaction score
Back on topic, I had a patient just the other day saying the same thing. I look at his mouth and most teeth are healthy just a few with class II mobility no class III the rest solid as the rock of Gibraltar, but he says he wants them out!! I tell him no matter what new dentures are only 10% as good as real teeth and too keep them as long as possible and AT LEAST keep the lowers and get a partial. Funny, and this is a young guy!

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
I don't think you could go to a surgeon and tell them your arm is just not as strong as it once was so lets just cut it off so I can have a shinny new hook.

One of the problems in dentistry is patients think their teeth are expendable and unnecessary.

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
Over the last year or so I have had a growing number of patient wishing to have Full upper and lower clearance when the reaming teeth are in fair to good condition. When you ask why they wish to have the remaining teeth extracted and dentures their answer is often that they have spent a fortune on their teeth with restorative work only to have it fail and they no longer what to though good money after bad. Most of these patient are middle aged.
I am now doing more immediate dentures than I ever have. I was wondering is this a trend other Denturist are experiencing.

Current economic pressures may lead some people to make such tough choices, there's a lot of acquired debt for many patients who would probably prefer to enhance other areas of their lifestyle ahead of tooth restoration over the next ten years or more.
Their perspective of the issue is quite different from ours as dental professionals, and I'm sure people spend more on maintaining their cars each year than on themselves. They choose their priorities, and I guess teeth don't top the list.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
Back on topic, I had a patient just the other day saying the same thing. I look at his mouth and most teeth are healthy just a few with class II mobility no class III the rest solid as the rock of Gibraltar, but he says he wants them out!! I tell him no matter what new dentures are only 10% as good as real teeth and too keep them as long as possible and AT LEAST keep the lowers and get a partial. Funny, and this is a young guy!
Welcome Alberta Denturist and next door neighbor...well almost.....I think that some still have that stigma that dentures last forever and and require no maintenance....My first two patients at NAIT here both are 30 year old dentures and still using them....Boy were they surprised to see the maintenance requirements for relines and remakes every 5 to 8 years....My dad has had his since he was 18 and only had them replaced at 65.....Moms are single upper against class 1 lower and she has had hers without maintenance for 25 years.....so it is an old school thing I think....nowadays the new dentists are not even doing any removables.....They can make just as much on two fillings and a crown and are pushing implants.....Soon they will have autogenerated tooth buds and I can see the day when the dentist will implant a tooth but that will regrow......But for now it is only experimental.....
Take Care and hope you find that Nevin....They have a two hour curing cycle and we use them at NAIT here however you likely remember them....Take care....Dan

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
Patient education is the key to this problem. There have always been those that think artificial teeth will solve their problems. I make it my responsibility to explain the pros and cons to them regarding dentures, there maintenance and there need to be replaced. Immediate denture patients can be very difficult if they have unrealistic expectations, so set them straight at the beginning and you will see some rethink there decision, and the others be better patients as a result.
As for all on four, I would most certainly have this for myself (aside from who makes the money) as opposed to being fully edentulous. I have seen firsthand,how it can change the lives of dental cripples.

highscore

highscore

Reaction score
Don't kid yourself. The money will always be in "immediate denture" provision. Unfortunately Implants\dentures over implants are not affordable to all. Dentures will never become obsolete, due to high costs, health issues, smoking, just to name a few. In the end you can spend all the money on restoration and prevention, but if the patient is non compliant, or if the patient loses bone support for their teeth. A denture is inevitable.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
provisional bridge on implants is like putting lego wheels on a Ferrari especially when you call it a long term provisional.

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
I beg to differ....

Attachments

• 10549192_1099167796772743_3230244440899133639_o.jpg
    10549192_1099167796772743_3230244440899133639_o.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 56
JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Don't kid yourself. The money will always be in "immediate denture" provision. Unfortunately Implants\dentures over implants are not affordable to all. Dentures will never become obsolete, due to high costs, health issues, smoking, just to name a few. In the end you can spend all the money on restoration and prevention, but if the patient is non compliant, or if the patient loses bone support for their teeth. A denture is inevitable.
They have bone growing hormones, If there is a blood supply there can be new bone, They have grown bone in belly fat with this stuff. Also they are researching how to grow new teeth. I am not too concerned with this, for my lifetime, but I probably wouldn't train my child in my profession.

highscore

highscore

Reaction score
They have bone growing hormones, If there is a blood supply there can be new bone, They have grown bone in belly fat with this stuff. Also they are researching how to grow new teeth. I am not too concerned with this, for my lifetime, but I probably wouldn't train my child in my profession.

It all depends upon the cost. With the Middle class evaporating restorative dental care will be a luxury item. With more immediate dentures on the rise, implant retained dentures are where the market will shift. "growing" bone Is still not enough of a "cure" for tooth loss.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
It all depends upon the cost. With the Middle class evaporating restorative dental care will be a luxury item. With more immediate dentures on the rise, implant retained dentures are where the market will shift. "growing" bone Is still not enough of a "cure" for tooth loss.
You think the middle class will always not be able to afford this? In 10-20 years? Id hope we would have a strong middle class although it appears by the looks of things there will only be a rich and poor.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
A doc moved here and said the prevailing dental path at his previous location was f/f by 20-25. I can't imagine that. (it wasn't WV either)

highscore

highscore

Reaction score
It's already happening around here on the west coast of Canada. Real estate prices are driving the middle class from the coast and back east.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
lachlan they all look great when they are new .when they are 2,3,4 years old show me a picture then and for gods sake dont sent a smellogram of the thing .plastic isnt fit for purpose.i saw the other day a dentist claiming his resin immediates were a final solution that will of course have to be replaced in 3-5 years that was the funniest thing i read for a while.