Induction casting machine verse manual gas torch/broken arm casting machine

Toto

Toto

Reaction score
I know some great techs who do not use a induction casting machine and still melt the alloy with a torch - any opinions on this . Opening up a lab and am hoping not to have to pay the extra for an induction casting machine? or is it a must? - appreciate this site and thanks in advance for the help

amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score
our lab has been open since 1972, we always have cast with natural gas with broken arm torch

i dont do the casting but maybe this will help you
http://www.talladium.com/casting.pdf

Greg Amendola MDT

Last edited:
TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Toto, tell Dorothy you can do torch casting and be just fine. Save the loot you'd spend on an induction casting machine for the next house in a tornado, happy yellow-brick'n :)

Gdentallab

Gdentallab

Reaction score
Right said LabGuy.
I think the induction machine is for large labs, where you cast 10 rings or more in a day. And for removable metal partials.
I cast by torch and feel that i control the heating better than an induction.

pingvin

pingvin

Reaction score
I cast by torch as well, including removable metal partials, you just need a bit stronger machine.

H

HDL Owner

Reaction score
See you can learn something here LOL!!!!!!!!! I thought torch melting and broken arm casting went out with vulcanite denture? I do not see why one couldn't it worked fine for centuries! But try and teach a new technician how to spot the "glass bubble" on top of metal! ?

cheadlemick

cheadlemick

Reaction score
oxy/propane is the most accurate way to cast just set your torch for the alloy you are melting. Remember NiCr needs more power than gold !

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I have always torch cast. O2 and Propane. Cast NP, SP, Gold and anything else I can fit in a ring;) Just make sure you use a multi orafice tip.

Polarmolar

Polarmolar

Reaction score
Crap i was going to see if anyone of you guy's wanted to buy a Reitel Casting machine lol. We are a smaller lab and don't even use it.

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
I am from Germany and we never cast with open flame. Eevery lab has induction casting all the way back to the 80th when I started. My first cast with open flame was here in the US. Yellow gold casting comes out much nicer, especially when it is thick. No craters in the surface after polishing

Toto

Toto

Reaction score
Just what I wanted to hear, thanks - also Al uses a torch and huge respect for Al.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Al could hold a lighter to his butt and get a perfect casting

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
Need some help, had a associate call for help the other day. They use a super cascom and are getting intermittent miscasts. They use the spiral runners and put 10-15 units per ring. Here is the thing it is only happening sometimes and only to some units. The units that are miscast are not cold, you can see sharp margins right up to where it's missing. The units that don't cast are also not in the same spot every time ie. some are near the feeder sprue and some aren't. Some are on the inside of the spiral runner and some towards outside. I worked with these machines and know that the temps have to be bumped up?? The only thing I could come up with is machine malfunction. I say this cause it doesn't happen all the time, maybe 1 of 10?? Is it possible the metal is too hot/turbulence, I am thinking that is more associated with broken-arm. Secondly, if the runner spiral is filled with metal and the button is small it should still be fine?? Anyone have any expert advise with this machine???

A

ALPHA

Reaction score
I have always torch cast. O2 and Propane. Cast NP, SP, Gold and anything else I can fit in a ring;) Just make sure you use a multi orafice tip.

What is a multi orafice tip???
Thanks

A

ALPHA

Reaction score
cheadlemick

cheadlemick

Reaction score
is it possible to cast with half a potato?

cheadlemick

cheadlemick

Reaction score
does anybody remember the bucket and chain technique?

Top Bottom