Dental photography

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Ok, my dual flash showed up today. I was really excited to try it so I set it up and took a few pics. All I am getting is white light in my photos?? I know, really amateur stuff. I thought I could figure it out but after several hours the best I can do is take it off the camera, hold it about 2 feet away, turn the flash completely away from the center and I can barely make out the crown I am shooting. It is nothing but bright flash in the photo?? Probably something really ignorant on my part but I have to ask. Thanks in advance.

Jason

Alistar

Alistar

Reaction score
After about 200 or so trial shots, and I'm finaly getting something. Realized very quickly you can NOT take a shot with your F-stop at 22 without a tripod. :D

I still don't have my dual flash, so things are quite under-exposed and I don't have Lightroom yet either, so the editing is tough.

JonB or anyone have some suggestions to improve my pics?

Shade is 3M1(VMK Master). Nothing fancy besides a little OT1/Trans4 here and there.

p.s. I know I have dust on my sensor.:(
buccal toned down.jpg 14,15 lingual trimmed.jpg

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
Hey Alister, do you know you have dust on your sensor? :D:D just kidding witcha.

I'm no expert but they look great to me. Good Job!

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
After about 200 or so trial shots, and I'm finaly getting something. Realized very quickly you can NOT take a shot with your F-stop at 22 without a tripod. :D

I still don't have my dual flash, so things are quite under-exposed and I don't have Lightroom yet either, so the editing is tough.

JonB or anyone have some suggestions to improve my pics?

Shade is 3M1(VMK Master). Nothing fancy besides a little OT1/Trans4 here and there.

p.s. I know I have dust on my sensor.:(

I know you were trying to show your photography, but I'd like to comment on your work. Beautiful!!! I think everyone here would be happy to see that sitting on their QC bench. Kudos :)

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I just got a Rebel T2i with a kit 18-55mm lens. I have zero experience with a camera so I am learning as I go. I received my dual flash the other day but cant get a usable photo with it. This is a pic with the stock lens and stock flash. Does not capture much of the detail. Would love advice on using the dual flash to greatly improve the quality of detail captured.

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
alh4.googleusercontent.com__n3YfCrZN764_TbOeA00RqrI_AAAAAAAAEGE_eWYoG4tFieQ_s800_IMG_0136.jpg

ok hope this worked. Sorry

Jason
alh4.googleusercontent.com__n3YfCrZN764_TbOeA00RqrI_AAAAAAAAEGE_eWYoG4tFieQ_s800_IMG_0136.jpg

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
alh3.googleusercontent.com__n3YfCrZN764_TbOiFazqA7I_AAAAAAAAEJk_EYgpIIbohw8_s720_IMG_0144.jpg

I was able to capture a little more detail with this one but still not happy with out come. I will say I am happy with the T2i and stock lens/ flash as an extreme amateur. Look forward to some more education from you guys.

Jason
alh3.googleusercontent.com__n3YfCrZN764_TbOiFazqA7I_AAAAAAAAEJk_EYgpIIbohw8_s720_IMG_0144.jpg

Alistar

Alistar

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Rob and Dmon, it's good to get some praise from peers. :eek:

Jason, your stuff looks good, but you may want to think about getting a macro lens. 50 or 100mm. I took my pics with the Canon 100mm f/2.8.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Nice work Jason, did you build this by hand?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Thanks Alistar. I have been reading a lot about Canons macro lens lineup. Everything I read says the 50 is excellent but you just cant beat the 100. I am pretty sure that is the issue with my dual flash as well. I need a macro lens for correct function...I think anyways.

Thank you, rkm rdt. The 1st is an Emax HT full contour stain and slight glaze with DVA zircon brite polish. The second is an Emax LT root layered with Emax Ceram and some stain. I really like Emax so far. Easier to get a descent product with.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
alh4.googleusercontent.com__n3YfCrZN764_TbXwdwBrBxI_AAAAAAAAEfM_IiJYiE8hM6U_s800_IMG_0652.jpg
Tried with dual flash again. This is with tissue paper over the flash trying to knock down the brightness. I set camera to iso 100 f 3.5 1/50. Just keeps over exposing.
alh4.googleusercontent.com__n3YfCrZN764_TbXwdwBrBxI_AAAAAAAAEfM_IiJYiE8hM6U_s800_IMG_0652.jpg

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Ok....just ordered Canon Macro EF 100 mm 2.8! Be here May 2nd. Will bug you guys again after it arrives;)

Jason

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
The best thing about having a new camera is shooting with it. The worst thing about having a new camera is shooting with it! It can be frustrating.

The camera should work the same as far as flash and exposure no matter what lens you have on it. If you're having trouble with the current lens, a new one won't change that. So lets start at the beginning. You said your settings were "iso 100 f 3.5 1/50."
And that you were getting too much light on the subject. It also looks like you're shooting through the hole (which makes sense since the twin light actually is designed to mount on a 50mm or the 100mm. I don't believe it fits correctly on anything else.

Now - set your ISO to 200 and your camera on Aperture priority. Then shoot a single crown at anywhere from ƒ8 to ƒ32 and the camera will ensure you don't get overexposed shots. By your settings, it looks like you're shooting on manual. You can do that, but you need to do a lot of experimenting to find the correct combination of shutter and aperture. Those boys at the Canon factory have done the heavy lifting - so let them show the way - set the camera to Aperture priority and let the mathematicians have their way with you - the results will be stunning.

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
***snip***(

Sure you can - i do it all the time! ...with a flash mounted on the camera. I use a 580 EXII or a 580 EX... or with either the twin lite or the ring flash. Once the flash is powered up and the red light glows, it tells your camera it is there and the camera then knows to use the ETTL metering. Since having enough light isn't a problem with a flash mounted to the camera - what you need to control is the depth of field. Hence Aperture priority. The Aperture controls how much is in focus from front to back. The shutter speed controls how much light is flash and how much is ambient in what quantity (duration). If you're getting blurry shots at ƒ22 then the shutter speed is too slow - which means your camera doesn't know the flash is there or thinks its turned off... or its an off brand flash that doesn't talk to the camera properly.

(We did have the discussion about NOT using your old film camera flash, didn't we?) Old flash heads use capacitors that fire the flash with a 300 volt trigger. New flash heads trigger at 6 volts. Guess what 300 volts will do to your new digital camera? Did you smell smoke? I'm hoping not. It may be why your camera isn't getting the signals from the flash correctly. It could also be that the flash head isn't pushed all the way forward in the mount and locked down with the lever or the thumbscrew. Make sure it is firmly mounted (assuming it is a late model Canon flash) otherwise throw it as far as you can and never put it on your digital camera again... and pray to the flash gods they didn't see what you did and want to punish you!:D:D:D

Did i ever tell you guys about the time I was shooting a fashion model in a "trash the dress" sequence at a lake? She was in up to her neck, her dress was soaking wet, she was - how can i say this eloquently... she was exuberant and fully endowed... and an assistant knocked a light stand over with one of my 580s on it and into the lake.
Flash heads don't like water either - no matter how many bathing beauties are thrashing around in there. (There were three there that day)
Canon fixed it for 50 bucks so no harm no foul - much cudos for CPS!

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
The best thing about having a new camera is shooting with it. The worst thing about having a new camera is shooting with it! It can be frustrating.

The camera should work the same as far as flash and exposure no matter what lens you have on it. If you're having trouble with the current lens, a new one won't change that. So lets start at the beginning. You said your settings were "iso 100 f 3.5 1/50."
And that you were getting too much light on the subject. It also looks like you're shooting through the hole (which makes sense since the twin light actually is designed to mount on a 50mm or the 100mm. I don't believe it fits correctly on anything else.

Now - set your ISO to 200 and your camera on Aperture priority. Then shoot a single crown at anywhere from ƒ8 to ƒ32 and the camera will ensure you don't get overexposed shots. By your settings, it looks like you're shooting on manual. You can do that, but you need to do a lot of experimenting to find the correct combination of shutter and aperture. Those boys at the Canon factory have done the heavy lifting - so let them show the way - set the camera to Aperture priority and let the mathematicians have their way with you - the results will be stunning.

*** edit****
If you feel that you absolutely must for some reason shoot on manual at 100 ISO - then set your shutter speed to the max sync rate (Probably 1/200 or higher) and then start shooting at ƒ8 and go up or down on the aperture from there until you like the depth of field and exposure.

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
awww.jonberryphoto.com_photos_i_w3w9s3C_0_M_i_w3w9s3C_M.jpg

If you look at the inside of a viewfinder, you find these indicators. Look at the exposure level indicator. If the arrow isn't pointing to the middle - or a little to the right of middle, turn your dial until it is. The camera thinks that is the "best" most accurate exposure for the scene you are shooting. If for any reason the arrow is all the way at one end or the other, you need to make changes to your shutter or aperture or ISO or all three!
In this example, the arrow is pointing one full stop under-exposed. NOT GOOD! Never under expose a digital image. This isn't Velvia - always expose to the right.
awww.jonberryphoto.com_photos_i_w3w9s3C_0_M_i_w3w9s3C_M.jpg

Al.

Al.

Reaction score

Jason I agree with Jon, try the "AV" setting not M or Auto.
Also I use the ETTL setting on my flash and set the flash around 0 to start out and adjust it up or down by 1/3s depending on the angles or distance to get the exposure you want.
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Grace1.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Grace.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Grace1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_Grace.jpg

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
That hole was a gimmick I bought into briefly(like one day) from a friend. It's a super macro conversion lens by raynox. My area seems to stock nikon stuff so I had to order the canon 100mm macro. This was something a friend had I tried out.

Thanks for the info on the settings JonB and Al. I have been studying these settings but realize I am not fully understanding them. I am signing up for a 6 week beginners photography class at our local junior college. Just two hours one night a week for six weeks. I will try the settings you guys recommended. My dual flash only has one setting for amount of energy etc. I can turn them out in small increments. Is that what you mean Al?

Thanks ,
Jason

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
. My dual flash only has one setting for amount of energy etc. I can turn them out in small increments. Is that what you mean Al?

Thanks ,
Jason

No I dont mean the angles. Both my ring flash and my dual flash have a control that screws on the top and I have settings or modes.
Manal and ETTL. I use ETTL then I adjust the flash intensity from +3 to -3 in 1/3 incriments.

I find I have to adjust the setting up or down everytime I change angles or zoom in or out.

As far as learning, nothing is better than just taking ALOT of pics and adjusting your settings till you get it down.
Trial and err.
Its free (except for your time).

JonB

JonB

Reaction score
Jason, is this a Canon twin light? I'll be out of town today but when i get back, I'll post a shot of the back of the Canon twin light and explain how to set the exposure up or down, how to shoot it on ETTL or manual as well. In the meantime - read this page for more info:Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX Flash Review
amedia.the_digital_picture.com_Images_Other_Canon_MT_24ex_Macro_Flash.jpg
amedia.the_digital_picture.com_Images_Other_Canon_MT_24ex_Macro_Flash.jpg

Top Bottom