Needs help picking alloy for full cast molar crown

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mike932

Reaction score
Hello. My PFM crown on a first molar has cracked to the point where food traps between my teeth. I am going to request a full cast crown from my dentist. I heard that nonprecious is very hard to polish, so is it reasonable to ask for ask for semiprecious? Also, if a dentist were to ask to for a full cast crown for the same price as a PFM crown, what alloy would you use?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
77% gold for full cast crown. Why no have a monolithic zirconia crown made?

M

mike932

Reaction score
77% gold is the same price as PFM?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I don't know what a dentist charges in your area.If it's about money then go with full contour zirconia crown.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Hello. My PFM crown on a first molar has cracked to the point where food traps between my teeth. I am going to request a full cast crown from my dentist. I heard that nonprecious is very hard to polish, so is it reasonable to ask for ask for semiprecious? Also, if a dentist were to ask to for a full cast crown for the same price as a PFM crown, what alloy would you use?
You said, " a full cast for the same price as a pfm".

Whats your guess on the price of either? Which one do you think costs more?

M

mike932

Reaction score
"Whats your guess on the price of either? Which one do you think costs more?"
PFM including dentist labor costs $600. The price of full cast crown depends on the type of alloy used. That's why I am asking which type of full cast crown would cost the same as PFM. I guessing a semi precious full cast crown.

vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
"Whats your guess on the price of either? Which one do you think costs more?"
PFM including dentist labor costs $600. The price of full cast crown depends on the type of alloy used. That's why I am asking which type of full cast crown would cost the same as PFM. I guessing a semi precious full cast crown.

v8ccqht.jpg

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
$600 for a pfm crown? Where do you live? It's more like twice that in the northeastern state I live in.
It would take an unusually light crown for me to be able to make a full cast crown, even with a 40% AU alloy, that was similar in cost to a PFM with a nobel alloy.

Last edited:
R

rayhacoupian

Reaction score
why u are nit going with full zirconia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

mike932

Reaction score
i doubt my dentist's lab does zirconia. and i dont care about aesthetics. i just want a smooth metal crown that is durable and gentle to opposing teeth

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
i doubt my dentist's lab does zirconia. and i dont care about aesthetics. i just want a smooth metal crown that is durable and gentle to opposing teeth
Have it milled from solid titanium. Any milling center could handle that.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score

Chrome-Cobalt polishes fine and is probably the cheapest crown if that is your goal. It's very hard and will not easily scratch, but is also hard on your opposing teeth. A softer alloy will be kind to your opposing teeth and the doc can close margins if needed. If you want zirconia and your doc's lab doesn't do it, ask them to send it to someone who does. Zr has very little for plaque to adhere to and is easy to clean.

This CrCo has been rolling around my bench for 2 years. Note how minor the scratches are. It would never be my first choice, but it is an acceptable choice.

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-17_19-44-15.jpeg
    upload_2017-7-17_19-44-15.jpeg
    462.4 KB · Views: 14
Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
77% gold is the same price as PFM?

Depending on the alloy (and I agree with the 77% suggestion, which is not cheap though) and size of the gold restoration, the full gold crowns are usually more expensive than my pfms.

Size matters... o_O

M

M

mike932

Reaction score
Chrome-Cobalt polishes fine and is probably the cheapest crown if that is your goal. It's very hard and will not easily scratch, but is also hard on your opposing teeth. A softer alloy will be kind to your opposing teeth and the doc can close margins if needed. If you want zirconia and your doc's lab doesn't do it, ask them to send it to someone who does. Zr has very little for plaque to adhere to and is easy to clean.

This CrCo has been rolling around my bench for 2 years. Note how minor the scratches are. It would never be my first choice, but it is an acceptable choice.

Are chrome-cobalt full cast crowns hard for lab techs to work with and polish? Also, can the dentists adjust the margins?

M

mike932

Reaction score
You still working on getting a tooth crowned three years down the road?

different tooth. this will be my first crown on an upper tooth.

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
Are chrome-cobalt full cast crowns hard for lab techs to work with and polish? Also, can the dentists adjust the margins?
Yes and limited...

With what did you end up with, in the first round?

If you want something durable, easily polished and the ability for the dentist to adjust the margin, go with a full cast gold restoration. As long as the gold content is around 50%, you will be fine. However, if your first crown was a cast crown, too, I would make sure tho get the same alloy as in the first restoration! Occasionally, different alloys can play tricks in a patients mouth!

And on that 'margin adjust' thing, if your dentist preps and takes an impression, as he should, there is no need to 'adjust' the margin at the time of insertion.

You seem to be concerned about what goes into your mouth, as I would be too. So, make sure your dentist/technician uses quality materials, like a high noble gold alloy. It may cost you more, initially, but you will be served better in the long run.

M

user name

user name

Reaction score
$600 dollar crowns, no Zirconia...
Sounds like some back alley operation.

• Agree
Reactions: RDA
M

mike932

Reaction score
However, if your first crown was a cast crown, too, I would make sure tho get the same alloy as in the first restoration! Occasionally, different alloys can play tricks in a patients mouth!

I am glad you mentioned that, because my new crown will be opposing my old crown which is chrome! So I will definitely get chrome for the new crown.

M

mike932

Reaction score
$600 dollar crowns, no Zirconia...
Sounds like some back alley operation.

Crowns are reasonably priced out here. My dentist offered porcelain, but I am insisting on full cast metal because I had a PFM crown break in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom