Help!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
There are so many variables when I see stone do weird things. Everyone of the answers are totally plausible. I do very little compression packing anymore but when I did I always used plaster in a slurry mix that I would paint on with my finger tip around all of the gingival contours. Rubbing it in and eliminating any chance of a bubble intense areas. The separator also penetrates this material MUCH better than the dense stone in my opinion. I have seen techs use all kind of stupid stuff like debubleizer and seen them slop on the sodium silicate or supersep from the bottom investment and not rinse off the wax. All of these things leave a residue and retards the setting of the stone.

Today with IVOCAP and IVOBASE we do things differently with a flow stone and putty but on occasion I still do it old school just to make me feel better about the 40 Brass flasks I have sitting and laughing at me.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I would say it looks like air also. The stone around the tooth vestibule looks like it dried before it stuck to the rest of the pour?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I'd go with air also after another look. It appears possible your finger application and pour application may not have merged in the gap areas.
The CEJ area looks like my stone when I get a water pocket and the stone gets too diluted.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I have been using rapidflask for investing both on ivobase and packing and never seen anything like this.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
My guess is put in boil out before stone was set or Separated too soon. I paint a thin layer of silky rock around my teeth. Flicks right off and doesn't absorb wax as readily as plaster/stone.

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
Final product actually didn't turn out totally horrible, definitely not my best work. JKraver, is silky rock from whip mix? Sounds like a good solution. Busy as I've been I cant remember for sure if stone was entirely set, pretty sure though. Air good possibility, (pos vibrator, new one coming) or all of the above.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Final product actually didn't turn out totally horrible, definitely not my best work. JKraver, is silky rock from whip mix? Sounds like a good solution. Busy as I've been I cant remember for sure if stone was entirely set, pretty sure though. Air good possibility, (pos vibrator, new one coming) or all of the above.
Any non resin containing die stone will work I vac mix and then spatulate around teeth pushing it into interproximals to not have any bubbles. Wipe off cusps. Allow to matte/lose sheen but still not set then pour top cap.

N

nickate

Reaction score
The air bubble inside the middle pour of the flask retards the stone from setting at the same rate as the stone around it Chemists-- please explain why as I blame it on magic (kinda breaks down the stone and flakes it like you see).

The OP has given me an "AH HA" moment as I had complained about slight flash of stone around my gingivals after processing but only sometimes and not on all teeth... went after all the original suspects and this post ( though I have been seeing what he saw for years) made it click for me. JMN knows of my foibles....

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
The air bubble inside the middle pour of the flask retards the stone from setting at the same rate as the stone around it Chemists-- please explain why as I blame it on magic (kinda breaks down the stone and flakes it like you see).

The OP has given me an "AH HA" moment as I had complained about slight flash of stone around my gingivals after processing but only sometimes and not on all teeth... went after all the original suspects and this post ( though I have been seeing what he saw for years) made it click for me. JMN knows of my foibles....
Y'mean this?
http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/...rylic-flash-around-teeth-after-process.25735/

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Yessir. I believe my final carve around the teeth is allowing VERY minute amounts of air to escape during vibration. I have turned down the vibrator and do not over do it. Working fiiiine.
Run a hot Pkt1 or dulled tip of bard parker along the cej to final seal after final carve. Do you measure your stone/water? I just give a few hard taps on bench top and it invests pretty well.

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
I swore off wax solvent eons ago, but I could see it doing this. I’m guessing I had some remnants of Vaseline on my fingers. Switched to putty investment and cheap pink separator, haven’t had an issue since. Many many units processed.

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
why not just use plaster why break your denture during using stone deflasking . jelly technique is crap. ivobase well what can I say 35 years making dentures to the profession and public. did you paint it on with a brush just guessing .
Stone picks up more detail and doesn’t degrade in the boil out nearly as much as straight plaster. Over 20 yrs of divesting I’ve maybe broken 3 teeth using stone investment, I just don’t go all Rambo with the hammer. Treat it like a lady.

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score
Air. Pt bit into TI and teeth just moved enough to break the waxup seal of teeth to pink wax. So slight you may not have noticed and invested as usual. If you go around and redefine cervicals after try in you could be breaking the seal of tooth/wax as well. Do I win?
Good guess. I would’ve noticed this much displacement for sure. Also I’m fairly certain this was one of my reset artist docs so I probably didn’t wax it up entirely for try in. Nobody can make money rewaxing cases, even if it’s only twice.

D

Denture Dude

Donator
Reaction score

An air bubble causes voids which creates thin spots (weak and ‘flakey’)problem is so does a little swab of Vaseline. The two would look very similar after boil out.

Top Bottom