Are intraoral scanners reliable?

Kratos

Kratos

Reaction score
OK, this might sound like a silly questions, but are they reliable for long span bridges? all on 4 implants?

a colleague of mine insists that they are not reliable for these purposes .. he says he tried one and it is reliable only for short span bridges or single crowns, he says adjustments have to be made almost all the time because of mis-fittings.

One other thing, could you recommend an IO scanner which outputs .STL that does not obligate you to pay annual fees!!!??.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
absolutely not. because we all know its the scanner at fault for poor lab work and not the lab. i mean duh, right?

ths fancy technology will never take off. mark my words in 5 years time we'll be back to using pig fat for impressions because theyll discover pvs causes hyper-syphil-herpa-aids-cancer and the fortune 100 company that charges yearly for the privelege of using their technology will be flat broke.

either that or we'll be using animal fat because of nuclear war.

but nevermind.

also, in order to unlock the actual secret of IOS you'll have to take my course.

Kratos

Kratos

Reaction score
Haha .. why everyone here is answering with sarcasim? :D

Dear, could you talk about actual products? :)

Your experience?

G

grantoz

Reaction score
yes you can but it takes practice dont let your nurse anywhere near this machine. i have colleges that have used intra oral scanners for full arch some scans are very accurate other times a bit off just like analog .you will also need to check the model with a verification bridge just like you would if you did an analog impression its good because if you have stitches extraction sights etc nothing gets in them.carestream trios both work in the right hands.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
yes, as grantoz said. its all about getting familiar and stronger as a practitioner with the tool. because thats all it is in the end. just a tool. how good you are with it will determine if the products you provide with it are adequate.

baby steps before you dive into full on 4.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
IOS devices have a difficult time meshing the data together along the smooth edentulous soft tissue ridge. It's scanning the space between the scan bodies that's the problem. When scanning teeth there is a lot of detail so the CPU hs no problem putting the data sets together. I have done some cases and asked the dentist to dry the ridge and use a sharpie to put some dots on the center of the ridge so the scanner has some landmarks to mesh the data more accurately. This would only work if the scanner captures and uses color to assembling the mesh data. Honestly, I'm not sure is any of the scanners have this capability or not.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
we've also had small pieces of wax to break up the smoothness - but the intraoral marker is great

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
google "data bell curve", the more images that are captured and have to be "sewn together", the more inaccuracies there will be.

Kratos

Kratos

Reaction score
so it is like taking panoramic photos with your cell phones without tripod .. does not sound so accurate :(

X

Xydorf

Reaction score
IOS devices have a difficult time meshing the data together along the smooth edentulous soft tissue ridge. It's scanning the space between the scan bodies that's the problem. When scanning teeth there is a lot of detail so the CPU hs no problem putting the data sets together. I have done some cases and asked the dentist to dry the ridge and use a sharpie to put some dots on the center of the ridge so the scanner has some landmarks to mesh the data more accurately. This would only work if the scanner captures and uses color to assembling the mesh data. Honestly, I'm not sure is any of the scanners have this capability or not.

This is so true. When you capture a full arch bridge (even tooth supported),and you have a lot of edentulous spaces, it is very difficult for the machine to get everything right.

Top Bottom