Polyvinyl Model Pouring help

Bumfrey

Bumfrey

Reaction score
ooh sorry Cata didnt see your post.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
cut the tray off the impression first and then strip the impression from the model...I have done a few cu-sils that way and it is always a bit** getting the model off without breaking the teeth....So I just cut the tray off first and then cut the impression off the model..

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Just soften the tray with a torch, dismantle tray and cut off pvs with a scalpel
I've done this; don't know why I didn't recall earlier.
If you need a dupe, it'd probably be better to have that in a more flexible silicone instead of trying to repour...

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Just left a model all weekend and broke not one but two of the prepped for partial teeth. Had to tell Dr need new impression.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Just left a model all weekend and broke not one but two of the prepped for partial teeth. Had to tell Dr need new impression.
Well at least you poured the model. We got a call Thursday @ 2:45 from an office that closes @ 3 for a pick up, they're closed on Friday so I said I would pick it up this morning @ 7 when they open. So I get back to the lab, open the bag and what do I find, an alginate that hadn't been poured. It sat for 3 days!!!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
At least you don't have to drive to him.

Oh, wait, dude, you've got to get one of those little battery powered kid cars and drive it to the operatory and back!

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Well at least you poured the model. We got a call Thursday @ 2:45 from an office that closes @ 3 for a pick up, they're closed on Friday so I said I would pick it up this morning @ 7 when they open. So I get back to the lab, open the bag and what do I find, an alginate that hadn't been poured. It sat for 3 days!!!
Nice I picked up a 6 hour old alginate once unpoured and thought that was bad.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Nice I picked up a 6 hour old alginate once unpoured and thought that was bad.
Their patient isn't going to be happy about having a new impression taken, the script said she was a gagger.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
At least you don't have to drive to him.

Oh, wait, dude, you've got to get one of those little battery powered kid cars and drive it to the operatory and back!
Segway.
Their patient isn't going to be happy about having a new impression taken, the script said she was a gagger.
Not really your fault, but they will blame you anyway.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Segway.

Not really your fault, but they will blame you anyway.
Not my fault at all, they didn't tell me it was a wet alginate when they called, otherwise I would have told them to pour it or stay late and wait for us to pick it up. But you're right we'll get the blame to the patient.

SiKBOY

SiKBOY

Reaction score
Take a pic and post it up on the facepalm thread

budgenator

budgenator

Reaction score
Ah immediate, I apologize to the Dr. for breaking #8 off the model and He replies "Don't worry, #8 fell out at the front counter while the patient was making his next appointment."
Had another that had a "Nanny McFee" central, no bone just soft tissue holding it between the upper and lower lip.

O

Old School Dentures

Reaction score
I am not sure of the heavy body. Most of my accounts only use alginate or accu-gel. I am not very experienced in polyvinyl impressions. I am using a Type III lab stone. Should I ask for them to use the pink polyvinyl strictly? I have noticed it being more flexible. Great idea on the hot water. Thanks
Put the poured and completely set impression and model in your boil out tank for ten minutes , then pull out with gloves and open with a knife, left side then right etc slowly. This is what I was taught years ago...it works

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
View attachment 26603 Hi!
I have one dentist account that always sends me polyvinyl impressions. Not only are they missing landmarks sometimes, but no matter how I pour them, the teeth always break off in the impression if they are bulbous. I am so frustrated and want to request a different method. Most of my other accounts send models that are poured in office or alginate impressions. This account ships cases to me. I always spray the polyvinyl with model release. It doesn't matter if I use die stone or let the stone harden all damn day. Is it me and something I'm doing? I just want to make the best appliance I can for them and if I can't get this impression situation under control I may have to quit doing their work. It's not worth the headache. HELP!

I hate those too. I would first ask the doc if he could switch to alginate (are these for opposing models or...),or switch to something that is more user friendly. If he doesn't, I would advise him that he should send two impressions (second just in case) because you will be destroying the first one impression by cutting the model out of the polyvinyl so you won't break it.
Edit... I see these are for immediates, again I hate thos kind of impresssions for dentures, maybe you can get him to change products.