Tips and Tricks for your lab

millennium

millennium

Donator
Reaction score
20170523_152924.jpeg.jpg I do have an air hose next to me but I use this set up most of the time. Everything from the Shofu lab air Z high speed except the hand piece. Saves a lot of time not reaching for the air hose each time I need to blow air.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
View attachment 26342 I do have an air hose next to me but I use this set up most of the time. Everything from the Shofu lab air Z high speed except the hand piece. Saves a lot of time not reaching for the air hose each time I need to blow air.
I had a similar set up using an old air drive handpiece foot petal.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Like the assistant who put my C & B diagnostic wax up under the heating element to do a suck down for the temps.... :banghead:

I now duplicate my C & B hand wax ups in alginate, and pour up a white stone cast for a back up.
Doing it with CAD/CAM is really a nice feature in being able to hit a couple of mouse clicks and getting it re-milled.
I did a really nice wax up for a big case, the Dr. gave it to the patient so he could bring it home to show his wife. He left it in the car for the afternoon..... happened to be one of the days during our 3 week summer.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Almost freaked out a little when I saw the slip with all that information :oops: then I realized :p
Had to put somethin' up there, first time I took it the real deal was hanging and thankfully I realized it.

Eileen Dover, the queen of defenestration. (bonus points if you don't need to look it up ;))

S

sonlab

Reaction score
Any tips on keeping the Cyanoacrylate bottle tip from gunking up as time goes on?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Any tips on keeping the Cyanoacrylate bottle tip from gunking up as time goes on?
Wipe it off with a paper towel and cap immediately after use, allowing none to build up, or for any at the tip to set from the air moisture exposure.

CA glues generally cure from a micro moisture layer. You can accelerate them with a few pico-litres of water from a dampened toothpick, probe, or other tool if you aren't fond of inhaling Cyanide fog and the yummy almond smell.

S

sonlab

Reaction score
I tried that but invariably you get pieces of tissue stuck to the tip.

I think I came up with a foolproof way of avoiding this nasty, time waster issue-

Just coat the tip all the way up from the base to the hole of the tip with Vaseline. You do it once and it will last a long time- any extra
glue that spills out onto the outside of the tip will just lift off very easily. Recap immediately (the cap will now always close all the way) to prevent any air to cure what's left in the tip.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score

I think I came up with a foolproof way of avoiding this nasty, time waster issue-

Just coat the tip all the way up from the base to the hole of the tip with Vaseline. You do it once and it will last a long time- any extra
glue that spills out onto the outside of the tip will just lift off very easily. Recap immediately (the cap will now always close all the way) to prevent any air to cure what's left in the tip.
Huh, never had it do that to me. But your vaseline application is definitely worth exploring.

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
View attachment 26342 I do have an air hose next to me but I use this set up most of the time. Everything from the Shofu lab air Z high speed except the hand piece. Saves a lot of time not reaching for the air hose each time I need to blow air.
That's a nice set up . I have a similar thing with two blue hoses triggered by a foot pedal ,couldn't work without it now . DSC01585 (2).JPG

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

i toss the caps once i open them. they end up all over the place and forgotten anyway. a push pin works well.
or if it gets clogged, just a slight bend with hemostats and it breaks off clean. well, at least for the glue i use

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Don't know if I'm the last to think of this, but never seen anyone else say anything about it either.

Those glue on hinges, when pouring the model, make a mark on the tray where midline is and just put the socket part into the wet stone on the midline.
Even if it pops loose when separating, you can glue it back into place because the hole is made in the model

This save me time on the articulation stone setup time and lets me send back the models articulated instead of just the models after taking them off the brass articulator.

20170628_154803.jpg 20170628_154818.jpg 20170628_154826_Burst01.jpg

Last edited: