Gettin' rid of middlemen one PEEK block at a time

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Finally tracked down a plastics reseller who stocks the very same material which the "dental" pucks are made of...i.e. high purity PEEK. Bought some 1.75 inch dia rod stock to give it a try... gave it to my machine-shop buddy to turn it into some lava sized blocks. Now I owe him a case o' beer, still way way cheaper than anything I saw out there. Standard sized disks to follow...:Rock:

peek4.jpg peek0.jpg

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Finally tracked down a plastics reseller who stocks the very same material which the "dental" pucks are made of...i.e. high purity PEEK. Bought some 1.75 inch dia rod stock to give it a try... gave it to my machine-shop buddy to turn it into some lava sized blocks. Now I owe him a case o' beer, still way way cheaper than anything I saw out there. Standard sized disks to follow...:Rock:

View attachment 26283 View attachment 26284
How did you manage to verify the dental grade material provenance?

doug

doug

Reaction score
Doesn't that stuff need FDA approval to be used?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
It is the very same MSDS folks :) And we don't have FDA up here in the boonies ;)

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what do you plan to produce with peek sized lava blocks?

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what do you plan to produce with peek sized lava blocks?
Given the small size it will prolly end up in tissue training custom healing caps or short span hybrid frames.

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score

View attachment 26283 View attachment 26284

English or German stuff ??

J

Juvora dental

Reaction score
Hi - For info, recently the FDA have 510k cleared a 'device' made from PEEK, the JUVORA CADCAM Dental Disc, that has been cleared for use in indications such as implant borne prosthetic substructure, implant overdenture frames and removable dentures. This allows US technicians to legitimately create permanent prosthetic devices from a high performance polymers.
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2017/03/prweb14171295.htm

R

Rick Sonntag

Reaction score
Hi - For info, recently the FDA have 510k cleared a 'device' made from PEEK, the JUVORA CADCAM Dental Disc, that has been cleared for use in indications such as implant borne prosthetic substructure, implant overdenture frames and removable dentures. This allows US technicians to legitimately create permanent prosthetic devices from a high performance polymers.
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2017/03/prweb14171295.htm

Is there a US distributor for Juvora PEEK?

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
I was under the impression that PEEK was kind of going out of fashion due to water solubility issues? Last couple dentist courses/seminars I have attended said PEKKton is the flavor of the month and that PEEK was out. One presenter actually showed a video of what he claimed was a peek temp abutment that was visibly 'mushy' when pressing on it with an instrument...anyone seen this?

J

Juvora dental

Reaction score
I was under the impression that PEEK was kind of going out of fashion due to water solubility issues? Last couple dentist courses/seminars I have attended said PEKKton is the flavor of the month and that PEEK was out. One presenter actually showed a video of what he claimed was a peek temp abutment that was visibly 'mushy' when pressing on it with an instrument...anyone seen this?
This would be surprising...PEEK is the 'original' version of these type of materials and the type chosen by industries over 35 years in uses such as oil (used as a liner to protect against high temp corrosion),electronics (used as a speaker film resistant to heat) and medical (PEEK and only PEEK in around 9 million implanted 'wet' load bearing devices over 15 years). PEEK only absorbs around 0.03 wt% H2O and only dissolves in high conc sulfuric or nitric acid. PEKK is a more recent family member without the same history of use.

T

TMLab

Reaction score
I can see both of their uses but thought that Pekkton was a higher quality in the same family as PEEK (see below). I'm very excited about its use in implant and removable cases.

upload_2017-8-12_8-52-5.png

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Peak more like lol

J

Juvora dental

Reaction score
I can see both of their uses but thought that Pekkton was a higher quality in the same family as PEEK (see below). I'm very excited about its use in implant and removable cases.

View attachment 27123
I think that this particular version of the polymer category triangle is a modified version of the textbook version, generated by the company that sells PEKK ;)
The High Performance Polymers should be at the top, but the particular family member will differ based on what actual physical/chemical/mechanical property you are measuring.

Top Bottom