Roland DWX-52DC Dental Mill - what to think of?

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Hi,

What do you guys think of the this milling machine? First of all what to think of Roland itself? I have heard this opinion, that Roland machines are having alot of plastic parts to keep the milling machines price down... so it is the reason to keep away from those... not sturdy enough. Compared to VHF S2, what should be preferred? Maybe some other manufacturer (imes icore 350)? The milling machine is needed for about 300 units of zirconia and 100 units of wax and some PMMA per month at the beginning...

Last edited:
sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
i have a 51d thats been running for a year daily. besides the plexiglass for the front window, theres no plastic parts visible on this machine. and nothing has broken. it does as i expect it to do for zirconia, wax, and pmma

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
we bought one. waiting for delivery.

i will tell you exactly where i think the problems will arise.

the door from disc chamber to mill area is magnetic....dust will go in and out for sure. The vacuum is only connected to the milling side. The screw rails are exposed (at least at IDS, maybe won't be for production) in the disc chamber - again, easy to gunk up over time.

beyond that, should be pretty much the same and as reliable as the 50DWX and 51DWX. We currently have 4x 51 DWX running.

We are hoping mill box will let us Q up and help us diversify as we get into more and more different puck types.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
how-to-weatherproof-your-windows-HT-PG-BM-step03.jpg

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Hi,

What do you guys think of the this milling machine? First of all what to think of Roland itself? I have heard this opinion, that Roland machines are having alot of plastic parts to keep the milling machines price down... so it is the reason to keep away from those... not sturdy enough. Compared to VHF S2, what should be preferred? Maybe some other manufacturer (imes icore 350)? The milling machine is needed for about 300 units of zirconia and 100 units of wax and some PMMA per month at the beginning...
I wouldn't be concerned about the mill itself more then the changer system. Even vhf, imes and wieland all have issues and it is with the changer. If not kept clean and aligned the mill is useless. Don't get the notion that Roland will have a better disk changer setup then everyone else, it will have problems and usually stems from user error like everything else does with other mills with disk changers. Specially when cutting dry. Zr dust is a silent killer. Wax and plastic not so much.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Is it better to mill everything wet?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
that depends.

do you have two machines?

if not, no.

you always want to keep emax milling separate from zirconia milling due to coolant. unless of course you are milling emax with just water. but thats not adviseable.

wet zirconia milling is pretty great, you get pretty good finish and its somewhat a more controlled process as most wet machines have good disc clocking methods.

wet pmma is meh. best thing for pmma is single flute tools, irrespective of wet or dry.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
yeah i'm a fan of wet Zr milling, it's just a bitch to clean.

The changer system is more in line with how our DMG dental 10 worked, and quite honestly from what I was able to try and "break" at IDS and Chicago, i think will be decent.

I'm more worried about the puck changer in the PM7 to be honest.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score

It all comes down to how the machine is built, filtration system and components. ZR sludge is nasty, plus what ever lube they put in for cutting glass ceramic. Choose your battle wisely.

E

eliashasbun

Reaction score
I have a 51d for almost a year and so far it's running perfect. Very happy with are investment.
ca78106887616f986f24455ec0985d72.jpg
ca78106887616f986f24455ec0985d72.jpg

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

B

bigbrush

Reaction score
not if you import files from other cad ;)

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I met that tank go for a long time before I cleaned it. A good 1/4" of sludge at the bottom of the tank, would scrape it off with a spatula. Lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
when we were using it, we had 8 tanks. Actually the tank itself wasn't too bad, it was washing the filters and trying to get max usage that was rough.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Based on past performance of new introductions by Roland the 52DC should be a rally great mill for the money. We have placed so many new Roland mills with such great success and customer feedback. When Roland builds it, it has always delivered as expected.

tehnik

tehnik

Reaction score
Have you received it?

we bought one. waiting for delivery.

i will tell you exactly where i think the problems will arise.

the door from disc chamber to mill area is magnetic....dust will go in and out for sure. The vacuum is only connected to the milling side. The screw rails are exposed (at least at IDS, maybe won't be for production) in the disc chamber - again, easy to gunk up over time.

beyond that, should be pretty much the same and as reliable as the 50DWX and 51DWX. We currently have 4x 51 DWX running.

We are hoping mill box will let us Q up and help us diversify as we get into more and more different puck types.

Top Bottom