Processed baseplates

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I have never done a wax try in with a processed baseplate. We do a type of case rather frequently it is a cast metal upper horseshoe overdenture with locator attachments. I cold cure the locator housings onto frame then wax the denture but as usual. Then during try in the flanges break off if there is too much retention. Wax is not strong enough I ivobase process. It seems silly to me to cold cure the flange on just to have to rip my wax up apart to remove the cold cure. I want the benefits of ivobase acrylic everywhere. How should I be doing this properly.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
What we do in my lab is to make a simple VLC base plate with the attachments to make sure we have a good master model. I never set the ridge runner frame for try in. There is no point, After esthetic try in we flask as normal then add the frame after boil out. Snap the old base plate and retrieve the attachments. Block out and inject.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
What we do in my lab is to make a simple VLC base plate with the attachments to make sure we have a good master model. I never set the ridge runner frame for try in. There is no point, After esthetic try in we flask as normal then add the frame after boil out. Snap the old base plate and retrieve the attachments. Block out and inject.
There is a major connector outside the acrylic, so I would need it on there before investing.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Ivoclar training center gave me a few suggestions I think will work out nicely.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
There is a major connector outside the acrylic, so I would need it on there before investing.

You just put a sheet of wax in that area :) Get creative young man

S

sensei

Reaction score
We use GC Naturcryl but I don't see why it would be different. We process about 2 thicknesses of wax for a processed base plate. It is really quick to put together and divest. Then we proceed as normal with wax try-ins.

When we are ready for final processing we place lab putty in the intaglio and over any metal that needs covered. You want to roughen the acrylic surface to be bonded and paint it with monomer before adding new acrylic. This will give you such a perfect bond that you can't even tell it was layered.

A processed base plate is so much more accurate clinically. The doctor can adjust flanges and get everything dialed in. You know right off the bat if there were inaccuracies in the master impression / model before sinking all your time and money into it.

It's also a great technique for new dentures with extremely atrophic ridges. It gives the patient and doctor a realistic expectation of the final fit before proceeding. The wax try-in seats exactly how the denture is going to seat. LC and wax seem to float out of place in atrophic cases.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
We use GC Naturcryl but I don't see why it would be different. We process about 2 thicknesses of wax for a processed base plate. It is really quick to put together and divest. Then we proceed as normal with wax try-ins.

When we are ready for final processing we place lab putty in the intaglio and over any metal that needs covered. You want to roughen the acrylic surface to be bonded and paint it with monomer before adding new acrylic. This will give you such a perfect bond that you can't even tell it was layered.

A processed base plate is so much more accurate clinically. The doctor can adjust flanges and get everything dialed in. You know right off the bat if there were inaccuracies in the master impression / model before sinking all your time and money into it.

It's also a great technique for new dentures with extremely atrophic ridges. It gives the patient and doctor a realistic expectation of the final fit before proceeding. The wax try-in seats exactly how the denture is going to seat. LC and wax seem to float out of place in atrophic cases.
Interesting that you see l/c baseplates as floating. I wouldn't have believed them any more or less floaty that pmma material.

S

sensei

Reaction score
It is mostly atrophic mandible cases where the LC floats. It has a lot to do with patient posturing. The texture is weird so the patient never really relaxes their tongue / cheek / lips / floor of the mouth. It also simply lacks the precision of a processed baseplate.

On an atrophic / flat palate upper it also makes a difference because you can put in a full luckman postdam. The difference in stability between that and LC material is huge. It doesn't matter for normal cases, but does make a difference in the marginal cases.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
It is mostly atrophic mandible cases where the LC floats. It has a lot to do with patient posturing. The texture is weird so the patient never really relaxes their tongue / cheek / lips / floor of the mouth. It also simply lacks the precision of a processed baseplate.

On an atrophic / flat palate upper it also makes a difference because you can put in a full luckman postdam. The difference in stability between that and LC material is huge. It doesn't matter for normal cases, but does make a difference in the marginal cases.
Thank you for the explanation. I can understand how a texture difference could cause patient comfort/reaction variances.
I've always put postdams in my l/c baseplates and a wax skin over the entire occlusal side when there is a rim instead of a gothic arch set. Could be fooling myself again, but I feel the wax skin lets them feel more comfortable, and have a better experience. As well as creating, psycolgically, a better, more denture-like look that creates less aversion to this odd thing in their mouth giving better results a higher opportunity percentage of occurance.

Edit:Next time a case with this issue comes through, I'll make 2 and ask the dds to give feedback, and see if he will provide some from thept as well.

re-edit: the import ants of proofreading.

Last edited:
kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I putty matrix, then transfer the set up just before process. Like John we tend to use attachments in LC base.
For a bar, I would get all components and frame together for trial.
Integrity of wax flanges is dependent on block out and length vs thickness. I rarely wax to the vestibule in those circumstances; it's too much to expect of wax. Final contours are waxed at pre-process.

FWIW, I feel a processed base only really shines in its role in edentulous tissue borne only situations. It really about fit/ retention, not stable base for trial.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Interesting that you see l/c baseplates as floating. I wouldn't have believed them any more or less floaty that pmma material.
I consider that a block out issue.