E.max Ceram - New Firing Parameters

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
So, Ivoclar came out with new firing parameters for e.max ceram on LS2 and ZrO2. It is a two stage firing and the end temperature is lowered by 20 degrees... I tried it on a couple crowns, today. And yes, I still layer anteriors, and will so for a while... :cool:. Anyway, I actually 'think', I can feel a difference in surface quality. I would like to know what brought them to do that, after e.max being on the marked for more than 10 years, already...

For whom is interested in them, please find them attached to this post.

Edit: Orthographies

Attachments

• IPSe-maxCeramBrennparameter-FiringParameters.pdf
    408.6 KB · Views: 221
A

adl

Reaction score
I'm assuming it has to do with the density of the porcelain

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
I'm assuming it has to do with the density of the porcelain

That is what I think, too. Still, I find it interesting that Ivoclar would implement such a "drastic" change in the protocol, after ten years...

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
We are always trying to improve our products and listen to the market. We still have the original parameters in the furnaces and will even after the next furnace update in the 1st quarter of 2017. but will also include the "NEW" 2-stage firing parameters. Most people still get good results from the original program, but we feel that the new one is slightly better, especially on ZrO2 where we stay at the high temp a little longer and allow the restoration to get a little more heat energy, although going to a lower temp.

Principefly

Principefly

Reaction score
We are always trying to improve our products and listen to the market. We still have the original parameters in the furnaces and will even after the next furnace update in the 1st quarter of 2017. but will also include the "NEW" 2-stage firing parameters. Most people still get good results from the original program, but we feel that the new one is slightly better, especially on ZrO2 where we stay at the high temp a little longer and allow the restoration to get a little more heat energy, although going to a lower temp.
With these new parameters, also change the values of resistance to chipping?

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score

I can't say that I've seen any thing printed on changing the strength values. It is still a fluorapatite ceramic giving it a Biaxial Flexural Strength of 90-110Mpa. Although having said that, I would assume since you are getting a better sintering of the ceramic material it would increase it's strength, but not significantly. You can only go so far since you are keeping the same chemical make-up.

Are you experiencing significant chipping of the material? If so, where is the chipping occurring: ceramic to zirconia interface; the ceramic but not involving the zirconia interface?

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score

I am not sure if it chips less, but I do think the surface integrity is better, more compact. I have been using these parameters exclusively, since they were announced, and I have not had any negative impact. Hope this helps.

M

Principefly

Principefly

Reaction score
I can't say that I've seen any thing printed on changing the strength values. It is still a fluorapatite ceramic giving it a Biaxial Flexural Strength of 90-110Mpa. Although having said that, I would assume since you are getting a better sintering of the ceramic material it would increase it's strength, but not significantly. You can only go so far since you are keeping the same chemical make-up.

Are you experiencing significant chipping of the material? If so, where is the chipping occurring: ceramic to zirconia interface; the ceramic but not involving the zirconia interface?
NO, I have not had problems.
But I like to be on the safe side and sleep soundly ..
And if it would increase the resistance to fracture, it would be even more peaceful
I get on well with emax

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
NO, I have not had problems.
But I like to be on the safe side and sleep soundly ..
And if it would increase the resistance to fracture, it would be even more peaceful
I get on well with emax

Good to hear! I definitely understand the being on the safe side. I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy!

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Tried it and got disastrous results . I am sticking to the Nondas firing chart, it works amazing

G

grantoz

Reaction score
probably why all the original emax ceram uses used to say that porcelain on zi copings chipped they finally are doing what should have been done from the beggining. they used the same porcelain for both emax and zi and were in fact under firing the ceramic to the zi coping dah.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
probably why all the original emax ceram uses used to say that porcelain on zi copings chipped they finally are doing what should have been done from the beggining. they used the same porcelain for both emax and zi and were in fact under firing the ceramic to the zi coping dah.

That is why they came out with the Zirliner long ago. This fires at a high temp (960C) and bonds to the Zirconia, the body and incisal can bond to the Zirliner at the lower 750C temps.

This is more about surface quality of the fired ceramic.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
That is why they came out with the Zirliner long ago. This fires at a high temp (960C) and bonds to the Zirconia, the body and incisal can bond to the Zirliner at the lower 750C temps.

This is more about surface quality of the fired ceramic.
The new protocol did not mention the Zirliner - so this is assuming Zirliner has
been fired, or without?
LCM

Top Bottom