Curing Units

Daniel Watters

Daniel Watters

Reaction score
Hey all. Just wondering if anyone knows of a small (and affordable) curing unit. I need one that holds one 2 flask clamp. Looking to do 2 hour processes and I find the larger units take too long to heat up.
Thanks for any direction.

Dan

Daniel Watters

Daniel Watters

Reaction score
Cool. Theses both look good. Thanks. They will fit a two packing flask clamp?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Cool. Theses both look good. Thanks. They will fit a two packing flask clamp?
The Ball electric canner is 13 inches diameter and the water chamber is 8 3/4 inches from the bottom to the MAX FILL line. It takes about 7 gallons to fill with nothing in it.
Do not use tap water if you plan to use the lift/stacker tray in there. The only problem ever from it is the grommets on the stacking tray will rust. Don't need it, but just being forthcoming.

Daniel Watters

Daniel Watters

Reaction score
I need to cure Diamond D. 1 and 1/2 hours climb and 1/2 hour boil. Will these units work?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Don't personally have a fry daddy, I just know people do it, the canner will have a slower rate of rise because of more volume.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
The Ball electric canner is 13 inches diameter and the water chamber is 8 3/4 inches from the bottom to the MAX FILL line. It takes about 7 gallons to fill with nothing in it.
Do not use tap water if you plan to use the lift/stacker tray in there. The only problem ever from it is the grommets on the stacking tray will rust. Don't need it, but just being forthcoming.
What water should you use?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Don't personally have a fry daddy, I just know people do it, the canner will have a slower rate of rise because of more volume.
You can ameliorate that by adding just enough water to cover the flasks by an inch or so.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Really? interesting I would think distilled water would rust faster. Since there are no ions, it would readily accept oxygen and create rust.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Really? interesting I would think distilled water would rust faster. Since there are no ions, it would readily accept oxygen and create rust.
In a normal world that may be, I' going from the fact that my tap water is from 100 year old building pipes that probably still are lead in some places.
I have visible rust specks in any container that I use.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
In a normal world that may be, I' going from the fact that my tap water is from 100 year old building pipes that probably still are lead in some places.
I have visible rust specks in any container that I use.
So, he may be just fine with tap water in his place. Saves him the trouble of buying distilled or hooking up an RO or distiller.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
So, he may be just fine with tap water in his place. Saves him the trouble of buying distilled or hooking up an RO or distiller.
It's possible. The grommets on the tray were the only thing that rusted. The unit is still quite sound and shiny after a year. It doesn't go through much water anyway.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys!!
Just want to let you know, it has a somewhate wide hysteresis, so it will not work for things like ClearSplint that need a very narrow temperature window.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I need to cure Diamond D. 1 and 1/2 hours climb and 1/2 hour boil. Will these units work?

Heating from room temp
Total time Stage
0:40 40 minutes to climb to 165 @ Far right of white strip just right of center
2:10 wait 90min
2:18 18 minutes to climb to 212 @ beginning of 3rd green dash OR just turn all the way to the right
2:48 Wait 30min
-----OFF-----

Vessel Cooling speed
15min to 200
1 hr to 190
1 hr 55min to 170
2 hr 55min to 152
3 hr 30 min to 145

P

PDLtd

Reaction score
It's possible. The grommets on the tray were the only thing that rusted. The unit is still quite sound and shiny after a year. It doesn't go through much water anyway.

I've used these 'tea urns' as we call them here for god knows how many years (run out of fingers). No rust issues, going strong. I have a perforated aluminium type of lid in the bottom to cover element so flasks do not sit on it. Holds about 5 Success flasks or a three flask unit tipped over leaning against the side. Brought a second a few months back because I often have need to do 8-10 at a time. Can control temp which is good for fast and slow cure. They heat really fast, so you'd have to do a manual slow temp increase if you wanted slow heat increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom