Formlabs Castable Material

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Good Afternoon all,

So I have recently started playing around with our new Form2 printer's castable resin and Im hoping to get some thoughts or feedback from other users. The main issue I am trying to rectify is the fit, I am noticing that the result from design to physical creation doesnt have an as perfect fit as I would like, and generally has some noticable lift in parts of the design. If it helps I am designing on 3Shape system.

Thanks in advanced,

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
it would help if you could put up a photo of what you find as poor fit, and what kinds of things youve done to rectify it already that have proven unsuccessful. because i could tell you to scale it up 3% but you may have already tried that.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Ill try to get an image, but I havent played much with the settings and the only difference I have been finding is in the post curing time and placement. Basically I am printing cast partials and it doesn't fit nicely on the pallet there is a noticeable gap and its that lift thats causing our production of cast partials to be halted as we do not want to start rolling out a sub par product. In all honesty I have been using my other printers material and even the rigid material burns out safe with no ash and its not a castable type, I might try formlabs rigid material and see if it will burn out.

The castable material is really nice and burns clean but because it is so flexible it is easily bent or distorted.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
when we got an MP4500 for printing models, we found that this more rigid plastic cast better for partials than the material we used to use in the DP3500. so maybe more rigidity will help you too.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I'm thinking, ill maybe even try printing it in our SG material or the straight model material and see how that goes. We were going to print them in our Eden machines but the support removal does not mesh well with flimsy thin structures haha

M

mptz

Reaction score
I don't like this way of production it seems a retrograde step. But mate that's me better to mill seems more accurate and reliable. Just my opinion but I could be wrong

M

macminn

Reaction score
We're looking at this printer. Anyone having success printing partial frames?

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Well our results with the SG resin and the more rigid material is definitely going in the right direction, the fit issue is resolved now our only concerns come to actual design. We will be testing what we believe to be our final prototype later today and will share the results once we have them.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Well our results with the SG resin and the more rigid material is definitely going in the right direction, the fit issue is resolved now our only concerns come to actual design. We will be testing what we believe to be our final prototype later today and will share the results once we have them.
thanks, not enough people share like this anymore.

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Okay so update for the casting of our partial.

- We were able to print the design partial with no issues, and able to recover it and fit to the model with the ideal fit we were looking for. Our palatal lift issue has been resolved with the stronger rigid material and a slight adjustment to our clasp design ensured a tight fit.
- Casting went smoothly, we used BEGO's investment for CAD materials
- We were able to recover and roughly finish the partial and it was extremely good fit, with minimal adjustment needed, anything else required would cirlce back to the design aspect of it. We are going to be rolling out a bunch of tests to run in tandem with the models we outsource to compare results but as it stands right now it is a step in the right direction and with minor tweaking we could get it to our level of quality that we want.

LGTCDT

LGTCDT

Reaction score
Okay so update for the casting of our partial.

- We were able to print the design partial with no issues, and able to recover it and fit to the model with the ideal fit we were looking for. Our palatal lift issue has been resolved with the stronger rigid material and a slight adjustment to our clasp design ensured a tight fit.
- Casting went smoothly, we used BEGO's investment for CAD materials
- We were able to recover and roughly finish the partial and it was extremely good fit, with minimal adjustment needed, anything else required would cirlce back to the design aspect of it. We are going to be rolling out a bunch of tests to run in tandem with the models we outsource to compare results but as it stands right now it is a step in the right direction and with minor tweaking we could get it to our level of quality that we want.

LGTCDT

LGTCDT

Reaction score
Having recently purchased a FormLabs2, I am curious if you experience and fit issues on full contour crowns?
You said you printed partial frames... what software do you design with?

LuthorCorp

LuthorCorp

Reaction score
Having recently purchased a FormLabs2, I am curious if you experience and fit issues on full contour crowns?
You said you printed partial frames... what software do you design with?

We designed with 3Shape and Exocad, we have done some testing in crowns and noticed some margin distortions in the castable material, however we have not gotten around to testing the other materials for crowns yet as our main focus has been getting the fit of the cast partials 100%.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
thanks, not enough people share like this anymore.
Sucks, but the CoCr/Ni guys are becoming fewer and farther between. There are only two guys in my town to farm them out to, luckily my buddy is one of them and is amazing. He has been in frames for 40 years. I think the fact that they are retiring and the 3d solutions really limits the knowledge base for people to be sharing stuff in this subspecialty. I enjoyed frames in school, besides the casting. There is just way too much labor involved for how much they are worth.

J

Joshue

Reaction score
Hi I'm having problems with the casting resin it is braking me the investment ring when I'm burning out the material, I'm using JP vest for pressing and also I tried with smart vest and same result, did some one has the same problem or what can I do. Thanks

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm having problems with the casting resin it is braking me the investment ring when I'm burning out the material, I'm using JP vest for pressing and also I tried with smart vest and same result, did some one has the same problem or what can I do. Thanks
What is your burnout protocol?
2 stage? How hot for how long?

F

Freakin teeth

Reaction score
Don’t waste your time

J

Joshue

Reaction score
What is your burnout protocol?
2 stage? How hot for how long?
I preheat in the oven until 750 for 10min and then 900 degrees for 30min, but it brake before get to 750

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
yeah to me that seems too short.

back when we used to cast 3dsystems castable resin it was up to 900c for several hours before the void was voided and a good casting could be done.