Model build software .STL input

• Thread starter Michel van Raaij
  • Start date
M

Michel van Raaij

Reaction score
Anyone knows a good payable/free model build program the create some models using .stl input? I know 3shape 3th party model builder but it has high costs and yearly fee.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
theres a million different CAD programs out there mate, only a handful are ones suited to making quick models out of scan data. fewer still are easy enough to make models with a few clicks. you are paying for a lot of automatically generated features that would otherwise take many hours to do using a free program.

but if you are trying to be cheap, send the case to a lab that makes lots of models instead of making them yourself. these labs have already paid a lot of money so that you dont have to.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I see a lot of dentists are doing this on FB, using mesh mixer or others to manipulate teeth and do their own waxups.. only the beginning.. of the end..

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I see a lot of dentists are doing this on FB, using mesh mixer or others to manipulate teeth and do their own waxups.. only the beginning.. of the end..
let me ask you something.

when i first started, a senior waxer said to me, it will take you 10 000 cases to say you have begun to do something properly.

how many cases you think those dentists have done so far? two dozen? 4?

i did 10 000 cases in the first two years of working there. that tech added 10 000 cases to her own repertoire of 20 years and she continually takes CE courses. this is my 11th year as a general unaccredited technician. puts my score somewhere firmly in the 6 digit range.

i wouldn't worry about those docs doing their own stuff. its little enough volume to not make a bit of difference to anyone.

they cant do 40 units a day like the bigger players, and wont be making them go bankrupt in any hurry.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'm seeing that too but I don't think it's over just yet.
My suggestion to them is to cut their own hair if they want to save a few bucks every month.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
It takes 10000 hours to become an expert at anything.
These docs doing there own thing digitally with models, do you think they have the expertise in morphology and proper function to position those teeth properly? They have no virtual articulator function in the freeware. Grind it into function boys and girls. Lol

I will say that I do have a bit of respect for them. Since they haven't built a relationship with a tech that knows what they're doing and can deliver, they are doing it themselves. Back when dentistry first started dentist's did their own lab work. Coming full circle??

Greg Lutke

Greg Lutke

Reaction score
In a perfect world - more dentists should meet the lab techs on this site. Bad dental marrages are the problem.
As a dentist, I do know that we as a group - just don't know how to find great lab techs. We just don't know how.
The better dentist will respect you fully and pay your fee (it's not the fee, ever). I'm all ears on discovering how this is done.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
In a perfect world - more dentists should meet the lab techs on this site. Bad dental marrages are the problem.
As a dentist, I do know that we as a group - just don't know how to find great lab techs. We just don't know how.
The better dentist will respect you fully and pay your fee (it's not the fee, ever). I'm all ears on discovering how this is done.
I'm thinking of joining E Harmony dental division.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
is that... is that a real thing?

asking for uh... a friend...

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
It's all about cultivating the relationship. It's not something that happens over night or in a few months.
Totally a two way street. IMO the hardest thing about this business is finding the right people to work with.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
then let me ask you...
what is it that made you choose your laboratory? and what would send you on the search for a better lab/techs to provide better service and better products to you?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
or more importantly, what makes a great laboratory/technician in your eyes?
not everyone will have the same vision, but throw us a bone here. the great techs are seemingly underappreciated and far under paid. unless of course they are the super stars that do big speaking events, hired on as spokespeople, or pay big dollars to advertise like crazy.

Greg Lutke

Greg Lutke

Reaction score
or more importantly, what makes a great laboratory/technician in your eyes?
not everyone will have the same vision, but throw us a bone here. the great techs are seemingly underappreciated and far under paid. unless of course they are the super stars that do big speaking events, hired on as spokespeople, or pay big dollars to advertise like crazy.

I do love reading and learning here on DLN. I will try and give an honest answer.
I don't know how we can connect like-minded lab techs and dentists. I would think that a show like the Chicago Midwinter could be a place that could happen. A planned event to get like minded teams together.
What makes a great lab tech, at least in my view, is a team-mate to serve the patient. My patients (mostly cosmetic) don't get a chance to meet the lab tech - so communicating the patient's desired outcome is the key. I used to video my patients talking about their cases.

Over the past year I have read, here on DLN, the many complaints about dentists. Some resentment, anger and lots of mistrust. I would guess that most is well founded.
Lots of dentists can be terrible - and I certainly don't blame anyone here for those opinions.
We dentists get stuck between our patients and our lab techs - not a happy place. I guess the main complaint I have is that some lab techs don't want collaboration - they just want to be trusted to do what they know. I haven't found success in that system. Patients, dentists and lab techs all need a voice in these cases.

I had the same lab tech from 1990-2014 (retired). Just a great friendship and team. Lots of beautiful cases.
The more I read here on DLN, the more I know it's about getting like-minded people (teams) together.
I wish I had some answers, but I don't. Trial and error hasn't been working either.

M

Michel van Raaij

Reaction score
Thanks for your reactions, well sending the files if is a suggestion but we would like to get some more experience with this. And maybe buy a 3D-printer to create our own models. I heard about programs like mesh mixer and meshlab, this will do the work? We are designing in 3shape so its just about creating models.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I do love reading and learning here on DLN. I will try and give an honest answer.
I don't know how we can connect like-minded lab techs and dentists. I would think that a show like the Chicago Midwinter could be a place that could happen. A planned event to get like minded teams together.
What makes a great lab tech, at least in my view, is a team-mate to serve the patient. My patients (mostly cosmetic) don't get a chance to meet the lab tech - so communicating the patient's desired outcome is the key. I used to video my patients talking about their cases.

Over the past year I have read, here on DLN, the many complaints about dentists. Some resentment, anger and lots of mistrust. I would guess that most is well founded.
Lots of dentists can be terrible - and I certainly don't blame anyone here for those opinions.
We dentists get stuck between our patients and our lab techs - not a happy place. I guess the main complaint I have is that some lab techs don't want collaboration - they just want to be trusted to do what they know. I haven't found success in that system. Patients, dentists and lab techs all need a voice in these cases.

I had the same lab tech from 1990-2014 (retired). Just a great friendship and team. Lots of beautiful cases.
The more I read here on DLN, the more I know it's about getting like-minded people (teams) together.
I wish I had some answers, but I don't. Trial and error hasn't been working either.
i moved my lab into a dental building so I could be chairside to better understand the dentists perspective.
Communicating is always a challenge when there are so few hours in the day.As 2th said,it takes time.
Not everyone is willing to invest and I think that is where the frustration and anger comes from(mine at least).

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I tried for 6 months to build a 'relationship' with a busy dentist.. I thought I was bending over backward to serve him, while I was actually bending over the other way while he filed bankruptcy on $11k of work I had done.. I just got a payout of $373.. but not nearly as bad as the lab that he owed $65k to ...

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

thank you for taking the time to post a well thought out reply. means a lot to us out here trying to make a go of it! we will keep plugging away and striving for the type of clients that you sound like.
i try not to do much complaining here, or anywhere for that matter. its all too easy to focus on being negative instead of focusing our lives in a much more appropriate direction. so if things dont work out with a dentist, i try to just chalk it up to the wrong relationship between us. no faults, just is what it is. and we move on.
thank you again, please do stick around some and post your feedback where you feel its warranted. i, for one, would love to hear more from you!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I tried for 6 months to build a 'relationship' with a busy dentist.. I thought I was bending over backward to serve him, while I was actually bending over the other way while he filed bankruptcy on $11k of work I had done.. I just got a payout of $373.. but not nearly as bad as the lab that he owed $65k to ...
ouch

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score

Here is a guy that gets it. Good post Dr.

I get approached by new clients often, almost every week, I feel very fortunate to have the clientele I do and the friendships and PARTNERSHIPS we have formed together. With that being said its a two way street, when a client doesn't want to collaborate and only dictate path that does not fit what we have found successful in my lab we part ways. I have learned a ton with certain clients because our personalities mesh. In return we have had some wonderful growth between us as well. Its a relationship.

Its these declines in relationships that I am most bitter about. This is what I feel is going away. Its this thought that we are not viable any more because there is a piece of software that will allow you to click to a final crown. Technology is awesome, I exploit it daily but the true craft of what we are doing has not be fully realized in software.

The business side of the dental office is getting harder and harder. INSCO are beating clients down and the FFS guys out there are all scrambling for the same 5% patient base. Its tough, there is a reason why there are sub $100 crowns being fabricated. The allure of cheap lab work or eliminating the need for the lab is something the Cerecs of the world have pounced on. Today their system is way better than it once was and there are dental offices exploiting it and doing exceptional work. Sadly there are way more that are doing very poor quality work. The thing is this from a dollar and cents point of view doing this in the office with out being a FFS dentist charging a big premium for same day crowns makes NO sense. Its not making you any more money than taking a scan or impression and sending it to a lab. No capitalized costs, no learning curve, and the dr is now maximizing his time on the most important things to grow a business. It sure as heck isn't being a dental tech.

The guys that love technology are the guys reading this site, they get its use and are early adopters and sometimes are pioneers. Good for you, just remember the guys in the trenches that have been there for you, have stood side by side, have stepped up to plate and rushed out a crown for what ever reason. Have took your call on a Saturday when that emergency situation came up. Are always willing to discuss cases even after working hours. Have sat down with you and lifted a glass and commiserated with you over this that or the other thing. Relationships!

Why do we techs do this? Well I can speak for myself I do it because I am married to these big cases just like you are. I take my role in the team so seriously because with the proper teamwork we have the opportunity to really change someones life.

Dentistry has been an amazing path for me, I still enjoy going into the office after 30+ years, I rush home after work and jump on forums such as this to share and lift up young techs looking to learn. I am saddened at where things have been headed for a lot of years but I push forward and have no fear speaking my mind on why I feel the way I do. Some may see it as arrogance , some may actually see the wisdom I have amassed. It seems its the latter that brings me back online daily.

Last edited:
A

Angel Delkov

Reaction score
Thanks for your reactions, well sending the files if is a suggestion but we would like to get some more experience with this. And maybe buy a 3D-printer to create our own models. I heard about programs like mesh mixer and meshlab, this will do the work? We are designing in 3shape so its just about creating models.
Hi , we are using mesh-mixer and send file to Motorcitylabworks for printing . Mesh-mixer works only with stl formats do.

Top Bottom