Identica Blue VS Degree of Freedom Scanners?

• Thread starter Nu Technologies
  • Start date

Identica Blue VS Degree of Freedom

• Identica Blue

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Degree of Freedom

Votes: 33 47.8%

• Total voters
Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
Is there any member here who has both ? I'd like to see a head to head comparison involving the same object and scans uploaded here...

View attachment 24417
ZZ here are the same images in a horizontal configuration. The artifact looks like it came from scaling or resolution changes between the horizontal layout and the vertical layout. If an image is modified in Photoshop then it is very likely all imperfections would be removed.
SoftEdges_Short_Margins.png

Henry Park

Henry Park

Reaction score
ZZ here are the same images in a horizontal configuration. The artifact looks like it came from scaling or resolution changes between the horizontal layout and the vertical layout. If an image is modified in Photoshop then it is very likely all imperfections would be removed.
View attachment 24421

@Glenn,
Can you upload two STL files? Maybe people in this forum can find it if there was any modification from scan data.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
@Glenn,
Can you upload two STL files? Maybe people in this forum can find it if there was any modification from scan data.

Henry, it's great to have someone of your technical expertise respond on this forum. For those of us who might be shopping for a scanner that can capture a high resolution image such as some shown in this thread, what is the single most important feature in the build of a scanner to achieve this?

Thanks again for your input.

Henry Park

Henry Park

Reaction score
Henry, it's great to have someone of your technical expertise respond on this forum. For those of us who might be shopping for a scanner that can capture a high resolution image such as some shown in this thread, what is the single most important feature in the build of a scanner to achieve this?

Thanks again for your input.

Thank you for welcoming me, PDC.
There are some points to consider when you choose a good scanner. Maybe they are resolution(data sharpness),accuracy, cleanness, easy of use, price, support and so on.

The resolution depends on the point spacing and the point spacing is calculated by the ratio between number of camera pixels and scan area. If you have high resolution camera with small scanning area, you will get the best point spacing. The best means the shortest point-to-point distance.
And normally dental scanners have similar scanning area because they are scanning a full arch model in ONE scan shot.
So I think the single most important feature for high resolution is the camera resolution to take 3D data (NOT the camera for color texture).

BUT I want to talk about some exceptions.
Some of scanners use high resolution cameras for good specifications and do big smoothing on the data, because they could not get clean 3D data. So they apply a lot of smoothing for making the data clean. During this smoothing process, it looses sharpness but keep high resolution.
The other exception is that some good scanners have smaller scanning area. For example old Lava scanner uses less than 1 mega pixel camera but it can get very sharp data, because it has small scanning area. Their scanning area is much smaller than current normal dental desktop scanners.
And normally intra-oral scanners have good sharpness with lower resolution camera because of their scanning area is very small.

I know my opinion is not 100% correct. If there are something wrong, please correct me.
Thank you and have a great holiday.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Alright! So here's what I'd like to suggest: We need an object with some sharp edges, some undercuts, yada, yada, yada, to scan the exact same object by the different scanners- maybe by 2 or more of each with calibration done immediately before the scan. I'm thinking a scan body or duplicate of an implant in stone. Anyone who is interested can PM me contact info and we'll ship the thing around for a month, then post pics. While I recognize that eventually it's all about output, this experiment interests me. Anyone?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I have an implant model for scanning. 4 analogs in a base of stone. The abutments are torqued and have epoxy over the screws.
It intentionally has some difficult areas to scan. Waiting on Zero to return from the winter hideout, I will send to him for scanning.
I haven't contacted Alphadental yet, but I'm sure he's a gamer and will scan with OT scanner. Love to get someone with an iMetric
to scan the same model.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Waiting on Zero to return from the winter hideout, I will send to him for scanning.

I will be back on the 9th...still in holiday mode...:)

21eqn3s.jpg

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
How'd you manage an extra week?
I work extra hard to make it happen, by keeping close relations with our accounts...sure might loose some rush work during this week, but competitors gotta eat too...

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I have an implant model for scanning. 4 analogs in a base of stone. The abutments are torqued and have epoxy over the screws.
It intentionally has some difficult areas to scan. Waiting on Zero to return from the winter hideout, I will send to him for scanning.
I haven't contacted Alphadental yet, but I'm sure he's a gamer and will scan with OT scanner. Love to get someone with an iMetric
to scan the same model.

Have the games begun yet? Boxing

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Waiting to give Zero some time to get things in order after playing at the winter hide out.Vollkommenauf

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Waiting to give Zero some time to get things in order after playing at the winter hide out.Vollkommenauf
Yup, totally forgot about it...send it my way 2th... :)

Also anybody willing to participate with their own hardware to find out which rig makes the best scans out there, please get in touch with us. Will be totally objective w/o bias, scans downloadable here for anyone to check and judge...will even twist @Travis 's arm to turn that thread into a sticky ;)

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Yup, totally forgot about it...send it my way 2th... :)

Also anybody willing to participate with their own hardware to find out which rig makes the best scans out there, please get in touch with us. Will be totally objective w/o bias, scans downloadable here for anyone to check and judge...will even twist @Travis 's arm to turn that thread into a sticky ;)

If possible, why don't we include scanning times with this little experiment.