Are RPD's significant

prodigy1

prodigy1

Reaction score
I am a RPD lab and I am concerned about the future. Are rpd's still a significant part of your work flow. I am sure they have decreased in the last few years but are they still significant. Looking into new equipment and processes for 2017 and just needed some info. Thanks

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
Is this a trick question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
Of course they are. Flexibles may have taken a chunk out of that but I still do a lot of metal frames.

prodigy1

prodigy1

Reaction score
Of course they are. Flexibles may have taken a chunk out of that but I still do a lot of metal frames.

Good to know I do them in house at a fair cost but I dont want to invest in any more equipment unless it gives me a good return. I have started to do flexibles as well.

Doris A

Doris A

Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
People are always going to need partials, not everyone can afford implants and C&B, and that's where partials and dentures come in.

prodigy1

prodigy1

Reaction score
People are always going to need partials, not everyone can afford implants and C&B, and that's where partials and dentures come in.
That"s what I am counting on. Starting to do digital frames because I want to deliver a great product so I can remain busy for years to come.

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
I tried to add partials to my C & B lab because every office asked me if I could recommend a good removeable lab. I had quite a few metal frameworks and flexibles, but they did not fit into my workflow as a one man lab. My point being that 75% of my offices are needing a good removeqble lab. All of the ones that they use are extremely inconsistent. If you can be be good and consistent at removeables, I think you should be fine.

P

PDLtd

Reaction score
It's a pity because flexible are really only suitable for a very small portion of removable cases. They are definitely over prescribed, and often inappropriately.

R

Robtech

Reaction score
With the Chinese market flowing over dental offices and offering $30 pfm crowns and $35 zirconia crowns, all I see growing is removables it has certanly saved our bussiness so far. So yes you'll be good on partials I would recomend going digital and designing in computer having someone laser mill your partials, bego does it for a good price and the turnaround time is great,

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
I agree. But when that is what the patient wants....the doctor will let them have it rather than lose the patient errr income.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I agree. But when that is what the patient wants....the doctor will let them have it rather than lose the patient errr income.

Prodigy1 James does some good work, I hope he does get into the milling or SLM. I have seen frames drop off significantly since the economy has shown a pulse. Implants at my office have been the preferred route.

P

PDLtd

Reaction score
That's a shame :( and probably the result of a clinician not doing their job properly. Treatment options should not be driven by the patient. The patient should only know of the viable/suitable options, and have them decide from there. If flexibles are not suitable, it shouldn't be an option or even brought up. And in my experience that's 98% of the time aaaannd I don't lose patients.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
That's a shame :( and probably the result of a clinician not doing their job properly. Treatment options should not be driven by the patient. The patient should only know of the viable/suitable options, and have them decide from there. If flexibles are not suitable, it shouldn't be an option or even brought up. And in my experience that's 98% of the time aaaannd I don't lose patients.

We get asked to do flexibles here, the Dr does them. Generally it is because they already hate their partial. If you tell a patient it is not a good prosthesis for what they have many will listen, some wont. At what point is what the dentist is doing become cosmetic dentistry, it is a fine line.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
We get asked to do flexibles here, the Dr does them. Generally it is because they already hate their partial. If you tell a patient it is not a good prosthesis for what they have many will listen, some wont. At what point is what the dentist is doing become cosmetic dentistry, it is a fine line.
Sounds like you are being inflexible Mr. cdt.

P

PDLtd

Reaction score
You're right . patients hate wearing those metal frames.

Umm that's not true in my experience. I do a lot of co/cr RPD's and patients are very happy. I've had occasional one, very very rare, but they generally hate anything in their mouths.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Umm that's not true in my experience. I do a lot of co/cr RPD's and patients are very happy. I've had occasional one, very very rare, but they generally hate anything in their mouths.

I think this convo went more in the direction of those who demand a flexi already hate their metal frames. I have very good success with CoCr frames as well.

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
I think this convo went more in the direction of those who demand a flexi already hate their metal frames. I have very good success with CoCr frames as well.

Or they just don't like the look of clasps. I sell a lot of acetal clasps in lieu of metal clasps in the anterior.

P

PDLtd

Reaction score
Or they just don't like the look of clasps. I sell a lot of acetal clasps in lieu of metal clasps in the anterior.

I've never used acetal clasps. They're not common here, eg I've never seen them used ever. I was worried about trying them because I wasn't sure about long term success from staining and fracture etc etc, or even how effective they are. Would like to add them as an option so really interested in knowing how you've found them? Anything to be aware of when fabricating/finishing?

Re flexibles. I agree with what you guys have said, but my point was we seldom have problems with co/cr frames, so the need for flexibles should be practically non existent.