Any questions for Deaf patient helpers?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Soon my travels will take me near a school that helps deaf people operate with more ease.

If I can get some time with the staff, are there any questions on prosthetics or oral appliances that you'd like me to ask? I plan on asking in advance for a few minutes, not just dropping in.

I'm curious if the school has found it necessary to re-assist people when they receive dentures or really anything that covers the landmarks as they can't hear the change and have taken painstaking steps to train themselves for the locations we would be covering.
TomZ put up a great technique video on palate transferal to a denture, but there may be something more we can do when assisting patients with these issues.

And if they've found some solutions, or have questions of their own, I'll be sure to share them.

Edit: It's going to be at least a month, so until I post that I've been there, you haven't lost the chance for your question to be included in the discussion.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Many deaf and severly hearing impaired people learn to speak by tedious and time consuming training of the locations to put their tounges and shapes to make with their mouths.
They cannot hear what they sound like. So they cannot adapt to a changed oral environment with the simplicity of a hearing person.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Many deaf and severly hearing impaired people learn to speak by tedious and time consuming training of the locations to put their tounges and shapes to make with their mouths.
They cannot hear what they sound like. So they cannot adapt to a changed oral environment with the simplicity of a hearing person.
There is no way to place with precision the landmarks to where they once were, an acrylic denture has to have a thickness. Possibly a cast metal palate, because it can be very thin and adapt well. They will need to painstakingly relearn how to talk.

Juko

Juko

Reaction score
I wonder if they feel vibrations and if those vibrations change.

doug

doug

Reaction score
My wife is an Audiologist. I'm going to ask her about that tonight. She worked in a medical environment for years. Now all she does is test and dispense hearing aids. She hates it, but it pays the bills.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
There is no way to place with precision the landmarks to where they once were, an acrylic denture has to have a thickness. Possibly a cast metal palate, because it can be very thin and adapt well. They will need to painstakingly relearn how to talk.
That's what I'm thinking as well. But I sure don't know anywhere close to everything.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they feel vibrations and if those vibrations change.
They feel them and can put their hand to their cheek, chest, and throat to assist in the training process.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
My wife is an Audiologist. I'm going to ask her about that tonight. She worked in a medical environment for years. Now all she does is test and dispense hearing aids. She hates it, but it pays the bills.
Thanks!

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Did you have an opportunity ask the good Mrs.Doug or are thijgs too crazy with holiday hijinks? No intent to be a nudge, just wondering.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I mentioned it to her, she will get back to me on it. This retail job has a high "beat-down" factor to it. Thanks for the reminder as I kinda set it aside to focus on spending lots of money on Christmas.