Heraeus digital dentures?

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
The company is a fine company and all, but can anyone tell me why in the world I as a denture technician would ever want to do one of these? Workflow is I get impression, I mail I to a scanning lab or become a scanning lab (which was discouraged by the rep) I get the 3d printed tryin or waxed try in, then ok it, or mail back wax for them to process and finish and am shipped the dentures. How am I making money?

awhurst011

awhurst011

Reaction score
Why did the rep discourage you from becoming a scanning lab? You can throw the impressions in the scanner just as easy as they can and It will eliminate shipping one way. They wont let you do the designing yet so you dont have to worry about that. The only way I think we can really make money off of these is the convenience factor of less appointments (if impressions and set-up is done correctly). But I agree with you at this stage I can make a denture as fast and as well as their digital denture and cost way less. Also I can make adjustments myself without having to relay that information back to the factory.

evanosu

evanosu

Reaction score
Agreed. I don't have a scanner, so it makes no sense for us. The cost of buying a scanner does not add up, I would have to do so many of these digital dentures simply to break even. Also right now I'm not finding a big market for digital dentures. Currently most of our clients are looking for the most cost effective items possible, the idea of saving 1 or 2 appointments is appealing to them but with the insurance reimbursement so low, they can't justify the expense. The price is going to continue to come down but I agree I don't see the value of this.

awhurst011

awhurst011

Reaction score
Yea if you dont have a scanner already I wouldn't buy one solely for this area but if you already have one it would be worth putting it to use. As far as the price for the final product goes I agree its too expensive at this point compared to what you can get for a traditional denture. Im hoping there will be some improvements to digitial dentures coming this year.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
From what I understand they have regional scan labs that you send to and it costs an annual fee to be one of them.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I think the biggest impact will be in clinics/labs suffering labor shortage.
It's the only available niche.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Digital dentures are coming. I'm not convinced a viable solution is out there today. I do think any new digital solution will need to have NO changes to existing clinical steps. Most of the systems available are either too expensive or change what docs need to do. That said, no docs are going to want to change what they do so you can go digital. Just my 2 cents.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Digital dentures are coming. I'm not convinced a viable solution is out there today. I do think any new digital solution will need to have NO changes to existing clinical steps. Most of the systems available are either too expensive or change what docs need to do. That said, no docs are going to want to change what they do so you can go digital. Just my 2 cents.
Unless it's cheaper, then you'll see interest in workflow adjustment.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
I hear all the time how the drs want to be able to scan the arch like they do a prep. The problem is when the supply company wants in the lab business.

Yourgoes

Yourgoes

Reaction score
I hear all the time how the drs want to be able to scan the arch like they do a prep.
Not possible using currently commercial IOS scanners. Simply put, they can't accurately scan edentulous arches. I wish this were not the case and would love to be proven wrong.....
Additionally, IOS may one day be able to scan the arches, but it does not provide a bite, facial midline, plane of occlusion, etc. This data is critical to creating a good denture.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
how are you making money? its called markup.

A

alesha801

Reaction score
For what heraus is charging to become a digital lab will never make it worth doing it. The quailty I've gotten back from their lab wasn't even close to what I do in my own. Not worth the hassle. I have Dr's that use the tray system and we mount and wax up like normal and they turn out great.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
how are you making money? its called markup.
I think the problem is that markup at this stage of the technology prices a denture of that quality beyond what the market currently bears.
For a skilled removable technician, that is a good thing.

Sooner or later the reliability will hit the point where commoditization starts, the big guys will drive out the middle, and the race to the bottom will kick into high gear, just like it has to our brethren in fixed.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I think the problem is that markup at this stage of the technology prices a denture of that quality beyond what the market currently bears.
For a skilled removable technician, that is a good thing.

Sooner or later the reliability will hit the point where commoditization starts, the big guys will drive out the middle, and the race to the bottom will kick into high gear, just like it has to our brethren in fixed.
Which is why I set up with a focus on reline and repair. Those can't (yet) be done by machines at all, so I have a while to make some hay and see where things are going.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Which is why I set up with a focus on reline and repair. Those can't (yet) be done by machines at all, so I have a while to make some hay and see where things are going.
I've heard one of the prima Donna guru types from DTG going on about how repairs were beneath them, bad for their health, blah blah blah.
Oh, and allegedly unprofitable.
Christ on a cracker.
That's the problem with thinking your perspective is the only one that should count.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I've heard one of the prima Donna guru types from DTG going on about how repairs were beneath them, bad for their health, blah blah blah.
Oh, and allegedly unprofitable.
Christ on a cracker.
That's the problem with thinking your perspective is the only one that should count.
Well, like my signature used to say:Look before, during , and after you leap. Perspective can reveal more than light.

That tech's stated perspective indeed reveals much.

How in the world is it unhealthy? Have gloves, glutaraldehyde, suction, and ppe masks not been introduced to them? I guess every time a patient looses a tooth they're supposed to have a new immediate on hand in the operatory and a new definitive rpd produced? It's far less healthy to leave the wound open to food impaction and infection.

As to profitability, I haven't ordered a mercedes, but I have everything I need, and a 15 year old buick does what I need. And time at home with my Amazing Mrs, which I value more than I could ever get paid ;) I'm not here for the money, but it's not bad even though my banker said it's obviously a duty of passion. Which is fine for now, but to be able live off a business from day one is virtually unheard of.

Something I was taught young, the only thing beneath you is dirt, out of it you came and shall return, and somebody's got to shovel it, somebody who is above the dirt with you.

I guess not everone can get fullfilment helping others.

edit: voice recognition vs.homophones

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I think many of you that read that post on Facebook missed what he was trying to convey.

Richard is an amazing tech, has an amazing practice and for "HIS" business model it makes more sense to refer those procedures out of his practice.

I think often text can relate a sentiment that can be taken multiple ways and often we react.

I value EVERYONES opinion and if it differs from my position I often try and contemplate why, what and how it could make a difference to me.

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
learn your craft, select your market wisely, and move on...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I think many of you that read that post on Facebook missed what he was trying to convey.

Richard is an amazing tech, has an amazing practice and for "HIS" business model it makes more sense to refer those procedures out of his practice.

I think often text can relate a sentiment that can be taken multiple ways and often we react.

I value EVERYONES opinion and if it differs from my position I often try and contemplate why, what and how it could make a difference to me.
I had no idea anything about him or his situation, my only real issue is with the conjecture of it being unhealthy. He may have meant unheathy fiscally, but that doesn't really line up with the rest as I read it. And text, unless massaged, can easily be misinterpreted.

I'll definitely agree that you can learn something from everyone. I didn't see it there, just here, and without any context. His niche is his, and that's one of the reasons I am in business: to fill an overlooked and often unwanted, frequently high demand niche.
We are all in different circumstances and that's what drives communication. There would be little need to discuss much of this if we and the doctors all had the exact same equipment profiles, procedures, materials and business models.

Wade Bognuda

Wade Bognuda

Reaction score
"prima Donna guru types from DTG"

You forgot self-appointed!!!
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!!!