Porosity on semi precious

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
What do you do to get rid of the etched surfaced from emax? I usually steam the white layer off, could that contaminate the etched surface? Does the ultrasonic do a good job in shaking off the etched white layer?

The question is why would you want too? lightly sandblast will do it if you need it removed

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
What do you do to get rid of the etched surfaced from emax? I usually steam the white layer off, could that contaminate the etched surface? Does the ultrasonic do a good job in shaking off the etched white layer?

Toothbrush and water for me.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
The question is why would you want too? lightly sandblast will do it if you need it removed
Because the white areas are salts left from the acid etch. Sandblasting etched surface will get your knuckles smacked by Ivoclar.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Make sure you're using non contaminating i.e. red, pink discs/stones to finish your metal. Semi precious is softer and contaminated discs could cause bubbling or porosity.
carbides! not stones

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip :) Maybe I should at least try that for noble metal, and then using the ultrasonic as per LG.

I use Keystone Red Flash discs and Komet Pink stones, which are non contaminating. Things get finished quicker that way for me :)

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip :) Maybe I should at least try that for noble metal, and then using the ultrasonic as per LG.

I use Keystone Red Flash discs and Komet Pink stones, which are non contaminating. Things get finished quicker that way for me :)
non-contaminating is sort of a myth with stones.
its like saying a heatless is actually heat-less.

the binders in stones are usually derivatives of silicates which are chemicals afterall. while they are metalloids, some of the gurus believe they still can contaminate metals during finishing. my good buddy (I wish I knew him) Makotoa Yamamoto wrote in length about how important it was to use carbides over stones for finishing.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
non-contaminating is sort of a myth with stones.
its like saying a heatless is actually heat-less.

the binders in stones are usually derivatives of silicates which are chemicals afterall. while they are metalloids, some of the gurus believe they still can contaminate metals during finishing. my good buddy (I wish I knew him) Makotoa Yamamoto wrote in length about how important it was to use carbides over stones for finishing.

Heatless is actually heat-less...lol, good one.

You really bring up some good points, Bob, and especially the ones we've been hearing for years, like non contaminating silaca binders (thanks for reminding me of that one). On this cold winters night tonight, maybe I should re-read that chapter in my Yamamoto Metal Ceramics book...it's still one of the best out there, isn't it!!

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Heatless is actually heat-less...lol, good one.

You really bring up some good points, Bob, and especially the ones we've been hearing for years, like non contaminating silaca binders (thanks for reminding me of that one). On this cold winters night tonight, maybe I should re-read that chapter in my Yamamoto Metal Ceramics book...it's still one of the best out there, isn't it!!
sadly, I don't own it...but I will one day add it to my collection as I feel its one of the best if not the best metal ceramics info out there!
cheers man!

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Agree...cheers to you too, friend :)

Den'ee

Den'ee

Reaction score
Hi guys i m doing a semi presious alloy( for the first time)cerapall 6 and im using EX3 noritake . I did oxidation but on the first opague it was full of porosity can somebody give me any advice
sand blast before ?and use gloves when op....

D

Dimis

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the advices i tried them all but porocity keeps coming it seem my metal is contaminated. A question again if you can help im using semi only because i cast nobel implants custable that has precious base. People told me that they use a non precious metal to cast and they dont have problems of merging the two metals. Do anybody know anything. I dont want to use semi precious any more and my doc likes nobel

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the advices i tried them all but porocity keeps coming it seem my metal is contaminated. A question again if you can help im using semi only because i cast nobel implants custable that has precious base. People told me that they use a non precious metal to cast and they dont have problems of merging the two metals. Do anybody know anything. I dont want to use semi precious any more and my doc likes nobel
Are you asking if you can cast UCLA type abutments with non-precious alloy?

Den'ee

Den'ee

Reaction score
Are you asking if you can cast UCLA type abutments with non-precious alloy?
maybe too little burn out time before casting and or to much heat in casting or what material you use in investing ? are you using straight liquid ? or 50-50 liquid water ? the bench set up time is also important .

Top Bottom