A interesting E.max question?

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Fair enough. With this knowledge the dental lab's goal should be to not pay for the replacement that was destroyed through no fault of their own!
Lost a client over this once. Endo doc broke a new crown that the GP seated on a hot tooth. Wanted me to remake the crown for free, I said to send the bill to the Endodontist. Last case I got from that p.i.t.a.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Understood. Whoever chooses to crown a "hot tooth" should bear the cost of replacing the crown if needed. If an informed patient says to do it anyway, they should bear the cost. If the GP chooses to do it, they should. My new warranty on the back of my Rx is probably going to cost me work, but I'm tired of bearing the cost of poor planning, poor impressions, poor shade taking, unrealistic patient expectations, etc. Most of my doc's are wonderful, but these problems do crop up.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Fair enough. With this knowledge the dental lab's goal should be to not pay for the replacement that was destroyed through no fault of their own!

Any lab that is redoing a restoration that has had endo access for free is just bad business.

I might do it as a favor for a good client but there is no warranty on that.

cipro

cipro

Reaction score
A restoration that has had endo access a loses its strength by 30 % according to the prosthetic literature, therefore a new crown is a must with the new build up, a new lab fee.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
A restoration that has had endo access a loses its strength by 30 % according to the prosthetic literature, therefore a new crown is a must with the new build up, a new lab fee.

You know what, I forgot about that...I remember reading that in a prosthetic journal research magazine back in the day. Great post, Thank You!!!

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
That might be true of e.max and maybe even zirconia, but it sure as hell isnt true of gold crowns and probably not of PFM's as long as the porcelain doesn't fracture in the process of cutting the accesss hole. To make a blanket statement about all restorations is BS.

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
I recently was asked to design a bicuspid PFZ with an access hole designed in it at the patients request. This guy had already been around the block with this issue. 3 months later he needed endo. It worked out great.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I recently was asked to design a bicuspid PFZ with an access hole designed in it at the patients request. This guy had already been around the block with this issue. 3 months later he needed endo. It worked out great.

I suggested that and they laughed at me. There's some nasty people on here brother!

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
That would help with the 2 crown scenario.
I wonder if they would be less apt to fracture if they were bonded rather than cemented?
If they are bonded there is no way to use an old file to make a 2nd replacement crown from an old file. The e.max needs to be prepped off and the preparation will be very different than the original. We have had docs asking about this for years.

cipro

cipro

Reaction score
Well the prosthetic literature is a positive and reliable way to know what works and what does not, and most of the time the Endo guys make the access hole to big weakening the tooth if it is crowned , so a new restoration is a most especially in cases of bridges with multiple abutments. Therefore as the saying goes ¨you break it you pay it¨.