Working with iTero scans

user name

user name

Reaction score
Would someone explain the experience for me please. Our local rep is difficult to visit with. Either he doesn't have any knowledge or just feels Im not worth his time, but its nearly a dead end.

I have one Doctor that now has the iTero and wants to use it instead of impressions. As Im understanding it, I can pay ~2500 that allows me to import scans at $5 each and receive models for $22, or pay $5000, no fee per file transfer and models for $18.

Im mostly just curious about using their software and importing to exocad.

doug

doug

Reaction score
So, I HAD to go the full $5000 version when I got it because you needed to be a "Lab Partner" to import Straumann stuff. I only pay for models @ $18.00 plus $3.00 for a removable contact tooth. No shipping charges and zero local support from itero. Their phone support is very good as they work very hard to make sure you have what you need to get the job done. The docs who bought the system rarely use it now as it is cumbersome to work with in their hands. I love, love love pulling an itero scan into my Exocad. the Straumann scanner is sitting and I found out the other day that they had disabled it so I can't even go into the program to pull up and old file without resorting to doing a file search through windows explorer. Yeah, Straumann sucks

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Yes there are 3 tiers

Tier 1 Your lab is entered into the system and doctors using Itreo can now have you do their work. You pay around 26 per quad and you magically receive the milled models from Itero. (Itero will do all the leg work for you.)
You get 2 Itero articulators

Tier 2 You now have access to the digital scans, can edit the ditch and margins and request a physical model or not and download the digital scan for import into DW, 3Shape, Exocad and many other systems.
don't know how many Itero articulators you get but it is more the tier 1

Tier 3 Same as tier one but with the added option of Straumann and no fee's and you get like 8 Itero articulators. and the cheapest fee on the models.

We are tier 3 and in my eyes it was worth it. If I were you probably start at tier 2 until you either get more work from this doctor or get a few more doctors on board and then upgrade. But the thing with Itero is that once the doctor sends you scan it has to go through Itero first, they will stitch the images and clean it up. Depending on the time of day and amount of work they have it could take anywhere from 30min to 2 hours plus until the files show up in your Itero case manager for you to view the margins and ditch and get the digital file for import. You can also stay tier 1 and then get then persuade the docotor to give you his myaligntech log in info and then you log in and download the digital scan once it become available after Itero has stitched the scan. This way you save from having to join Itero, and ask him if you can barrow one of his articulators cause i think they get a few when purchasing the system.

Here are some quick pics, Sorry I don't have any active cases in the que.

itero 1.JPG itero 2.JPG itero 3.JPG

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Where's the colour?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Lol the doc that send me stuff from itero are first and second generation scanners the newest on is color I think. That's why trios is better.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
Yes there are 3 tiers

Tier 1 Your lab is entered into the system and doctors using Itreo can now have you do their work. You pay around 26 per quad and you magically receive the milled models from Itero. (Itero will do all the leg work for you.)

Tier 2 You now have access to the digital scans, can edit the ditch and margins and request a physical model or not and download the digital scan for import into DW, 3Shape, Exocad and many other systems.

Tier 3 Same as tier one but with the added option of Straumann and no fee's and you get like 8 Itero articulators. and the cheapest fee on the models.

We are tier 3 and in my eyes it was worth it. If I were you probably start at tier 2 until you either get more work from this doctor or get a few more doctors on board and then upgrade. But the thing with Itero is that once the doctor sends you scan it has to go through Itero first, they will stitch the images and clean it up. Depending on the time of day and amount of work they have it could take anywhere from 30min to 2 hours plus until the files show up in your Itero case manager for you to view the margins and ditch and get the digital file for import. You can also stay tier 1 and then get then persuade the docotor to give you his myaligntech log in info and then you log in and download the digital scan once it become available after Itero has stitched the scan. This way you save from having to join Itero, and ask him if you can barrow one of his articulators cause i think they get a few when purchasing the system.

View attachment 22323 View attachment 22324 View attachment 22325
Very informative ,thank you Sevan . I know nothing at all about the digital impression side ( non of my Docs have gone that route yet ),,,Am I correct in assuming With the tier 1 method you never see the digital file but digitize the milled model & make the crown from there ?

user name

user name

Reaction score
This Dr got it initially for doing Invisilign. Is that the only scanner that invisalign uses?

Is this like when scanners and mills were first getting going and everyone was proprietary before everyone got in to the open system model?

Each intraoral scanner will require a separate buy in from the lab?

With iTero, is there a software install or just a password into their portal?

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
This Dr got it initially for doing Invisilign. Is that the only scanner that invisalign uses?

Is this like when scanners and mills were first getting going and everyone was proprietary before everyone got in to the open system model?

I'm pretty sure the Trios can now do Invisalign. It's in Invisalign's best interest to get on board with all the most popular IOS's. I don't think a separate buy in is required once you have the Itero software installed. The Itero docs simply choose their Itero enabled lab to send their scans to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Very informative ,thank you Sevan . I know nothing at all about the digital impression side ( non of my Docs have gone that route yet ),,,Am I correct in assuming With the tier 1 method you never see the digital file but digitize the milled model & make the crown from there ?
Yes as tier 1 you as the lab have no access to the digital files, but the dr does via his myaligntech login.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score

There is a software installed that put the itero manager, a shortcut the the myaligntech site and support stuff. They will set it up for you no need to worry.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the Trios can now do Invisalign. It's in Invisalign's best interest to get on board with all the most popular IOS's. I don't think a separate buy in is required once you have the Itero software installed. The Itero docs simply choose their Itero enabled lab to send their scans to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Q3 or Q4 this year it will launch.

M

Markyboy

Reaction score
Are you guys passing off the cost of the models to the Dr?
With a tier 2 the models in Canada come out to 35$!!
Pretty pricey for a model that I could make for 3$.

I am passing on the cost. Haven't heard any backlash from the Dr's yet. Fingers crossed.

Restorationlab

Restorationlab

Reaction score
Yes there are 3 tiers

View attachment 22323 View attachment 22324 View attachment 22325

I have a dr with the iTero scanner. We have worked together for 6+ years. I am a tier 1 lab and I do not handle the files at all, the model comes to me directly. I use it to make the restorations by hand. I am now looking into purchasing the exocad cad system. I would like to get the iTero files after iTero has marked the margins and the dr has approved. Can you explain in more detail what I have to do exactly to get the files from the dr's myaligntech account? As a small lab I don't see the value of buying into iTero at tier 2 or 3 for this one account. Their models are good, but expensive. I would like to explore other outsource labs for models from the iTero scans.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I have a dr with the iTero scanner. We have worked together for 6+ years. I am a tier 1 lab and I do not handle the files at all, the model comes to me directly. I use it to make the restorations by hand. I am now looking into purchasing the exocad cad system. I would like to get the iTero files after iTero has marked the margins and the dr has approved. Can you explain in more detail what I have to do exactly to get the files from the dr's myaligntech account? As a small lab I don't see the value of buying into iTero at tier 2 or 3 for this one account. Their models are good, but expensive. I would like to explore other outsource labs for models from the iTero scans.
I currently only have one Doctor sending iTero scans, but I bought in at tier 3. I cant imagine using the models to fabricate from by hand. Theyre decent, but not like good stone. Ive worked through a bunch of cases with models and we are confident enough now that we are going modeless.

You are tier one, so you've bought in. How do you receive models but not scans?

Restorationlab

Restorationlab

Reaction score
I currently only have one Doctor sending iTero scans, but I bought in at tier 3. I cant imagine using the models to fabricate from by hand. Theyre decent, but not like good stone. Ive worked through a bunch of cases with models and we are confident enough now that we are going modeless.

The dr registered me as external lab and paid the $300. I received two articulators. This level does not allow lab to get scans and up til now I have not been able to design from any scans. I have a 10 yr old Cerec scan and mill. It needs refurbishing, several thousand dollars worth. I'd rather spend the money on a modern system and I've decided not to mill in house any more. The equipment/consumables are expensive for my small volumn. I'm in the middle of examining this move and am having trouble figuring it all out. Wish there was someone wise to give sage advice with guaranteed success!! LOL.

user name

user name

Reaction score
As a level 3, external lab, you pay the most for models and you don't have the ability to adjust/approve margins for model building, but of coarse you have access to the scans. . That's the whole point.

You can adjust your margins if needed in exocad.

Restorationlab

Restorationlab

Reaction score
I was told by iTero last week that I do not have access to scan files as an external lab.

Restorationlab

Restorationlab

Reaction score

can't go modelless if my clients want layered porcelain.